Was given an old wood clamp with a steel runner the other day was a bit worse for wear, it was being thrown out…but but but it is still functionable. Anyway today I decided to give it a bit of a tidy up, I decided instead of replacing the bits I would just sand them as I found out as well the clamp is over 100 years old. So it would be cool to keep the orginal and with its battle scars and all. Before the sanding and re-oil… All I did was give it a light sand including ...
WHAT'S UP? "While I'm out in my Shop". #5: Slatwall storage system, homemade, switching from Pegboard.
I started on this shop building project shortly after I retired. I’d like to show you what I’ve accomplished so far. My garage measures 20 X 24 feet, & I wanted to partition out a shop area.~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~In order to have a shop 8 feet wide, I had to resize my garage door from 12’ to 9 ‘ Notice the car hiding under a warm blanket of snow. ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ This...
This morning I unpacked my new toys and can confirm that I have one Shopsmith mk 5, and one Master Shop. They are both in very sad condition, and I will be concentrating my efforts on restoring the Shopsmith and relegating the Master Shop to being the “spares” supply wherever possible.. The load waiting to be unpacked.. As you can see, there is rust everywhere.Even the Aluminium is seriously corroded.At least one of the main castings is broken I can see that this is goin...
My Granfather’s name was Amos Leveille (pronounced “lev-ee-ay”) – 1909-1973. Upon my mother’s passing several years ago, I inherited what was left of my his tools. They had been left rusting in my mom’s basement for decades. I have been slowly refurbishing them, and putting them to use. It has been very enlightening, from both a tool and a person history perspective. I have given new life to these pieces, and they have returned the favor! Take a look&...
CARPENTER ANT DAMAGE TO OUR GAZEBO SHED ROOF #1: Discovery of the Damage, Demolishing old roof, & Rebuilding
I opened the shed door the other day, & discovered water on the floor. I had just made a new shed door about a year ago. I thought the wind had blown water in from under the door. Then I noticed sawdust on the floor with drip marks coming from above. I looked up, & saw some funny looking white stuff coating the ceiling up in the corner above the door. The top plate of the wall studs also had piles of sawdust on it, & ants galore! Right away I knew I had some work c...
We had a new family move in on our street a few weeks ago, & since they were downsizing from their previous house, they had a lot of stuff they just didn’t want anymore which they ended up just putting in the garage. So, one thing led to another and I got a old table saw. It’s a 1973 Craftsman saw with a 1.5HP 3450 rpm hp induction motor. The top has a moderate amount of rust, most of which was removed in about 10 mins with a wire brush. There’s still some left, which...
I had already taken some pictures of some of the tools that I discovered when removing the top layer of the collapsed shed. To preface this, the door to this shed was to open inward but it wouldn’t budge before it collapsed because a ceiling beam had fallen and wedged itself against the door making it impossible to open. I couldn’t get to the hinges and I was always fearful of kicking it in because I had no clue of how it might fall if I did get the door to budge. Through some cra...
Hello Lumberjocks - I’m renting a house that came with an old table saw in the basement – a Craftsman – made by King Seeley Corporation. I found a good description of it here: http://www.old-woodworking-tools.net/craftsman-king-seeley-model-no-10322160-8-table-saw.html and the manual here: http://vintagemachinery.org/pubs/detail.aspx?id=1159 Eventually I hope to buy a house and get a “real” table saw, but in the meantime, I thought I’d see wh...
My son and I went to the local flea market looking for a rusty block plane to try out the evapo rust. I was hoping to find a 102 or 103 for a buck or two. I wanted to try it before starting on the Stanley 112. It is too nice of a plane for it to be used for the trial. I was not able to find any good candiates for testing the evapo-rust. Anyway, I ended up walking out having only spent $2 on an old back saw. Cest ‘la vie. We stopped at a local antique store on the way ...
I’ve seen a number of postings and blogs on LJ about restoring an old hand plane the very thorough way, taking an old plane that looks haggared from years of use and restoring it to new. While that is a great way to do it, if you have the time, money for all the required parts etc, and I wish i did, because that’s a great way to get good results. This is not one of those posts. This is a great method for those who have a small budget but are willing to put in some elbow grease....
- My Journey As A Scroll Saw Pattern Designer - 1184 parts
- Extremely Average - 324 parts
- A journey into the workshop. - 87 parts
- Daily Update - 87 parts
- Just for Fun... - 80 parts
- "Hobbit Holes in MyWorld" --by RusticWoodArt - 77 parts
- WoodWriting Haiku Thursday's --by RusticWoodArt - 74 parts
- The Craftsman's Path - 67 parts
- As The Lathe Turns - 67 parts
- Workshop Development - 65 parts
- Sheila Landry (scrollgirl) - 1206 entries
- frank - 417 entries
- degoose - 387 entries
- dbhost - 331 entries
- Ecocandle - 325 entries
- MsDebbieP - 299 entries
- Martin Sojka - 297 entries
- Karson - 293 entries
- William - 249 entries
- Betsy - 221 entries
- Stevinmarin - 212 entries
- Gary Fixler - 204 entries
- mafe - 201 entries
- Todd A. Clippinger - 187 entries
- Chris Davis - 183 entries
- Rustic - 183 entries
- PurpLev - 162 entries
- BritBoxmaker - 159 entries
- shipwright - 159 entries
- scottb - 144 entries