Wash Coat #2: Waterborne Finish Coatings As previously mentioned in Preventing Blotching Using A Wash Coat #1, most any standard finish can be used as a wash coat. These are Lacquer (both waterborne and solvent type/nitrocellulose), polyurethane (both waterborne and oil based), Oil-based Varnish, and Shellac. The above being said, lets talk Waterbourne. It really makes no difference which you use waterborne lacquer, waterborne shellac or waterborne polyurethane since they all are simply...
Hi everyone,I inherited this vice from my dad, and I’m pretty sure it was used when he got it. So by my recollection it’s probably 60 years old or more. I have to admit that I’ve never seen one like this before, instead of the front half of the vice moving when you turn the handle the rear of the vice moves backwards. Well, I dug the thing out of storage where it’s been resting for quite a few years and as soon as I went to use it, I found that the vice would not o...
I picked up a Stanley Miter Box no. 346 at a swap meet this past weekend for $15. As you can see it is in pretty bad shape. The saw blade is completely rusted, the handle is in good shape. I can see some markings on the blade but cannot make them out. I will be taking the saw apart and coating it with Navel Jelly to remove the rust. I will be leaving the handle as is, I like the look. More to follow.
Hey there everyone! Well…as I mentioned in the comment section of part one of this series, I took some files to a friends house and we annealed the handle portions, I cut a gigantic farriers rasp in half and annealed the handle portion on one of the pieces. Today I was able to get down into my shop and drill the holes! It was a little slow going with the smaller files, and the cobalt bits were useless…even with the temper gone from the steel. Surprisingly, the larger holes f...
Late last year, before I put the saw away for the winter, a piece of the casting on the tablesaw broke. It was causing some vibration and the blade to move side to side a bit when adjusting height. Not good in conjunction with zero clearance inserts. Anyway, it is getting warm again and time to get the saw ready for what I hope will be a productive summer. The “key” as I am calling it had to be fixed. There are 2 parts that mount on a shaft and are keyed together you can see ...
So here are the wings all cleaned up. I worked with 100, 220, 500, 1000, and then 1200 grit sand paper. I wet sanded the gray painted area and it cleaned up well so I don’t think I will be painting them. I think that they will shine with some wax. There was one small area that I hand to sand down to the metal because there was some sticky gunk stuck to it. The insert had some deep scratches in it so I sanded it down and painted it. The blade guard cleaned up real nice. ...
That I took upon myself. Got a box in the mail. Opened it up to…. WOW! Rusty and Crusty! Made of a Witch’s Brew and set some thing to soak awhile. I also got some supplies in house, charged up the cordless drill’ batteries, both of them. Tub for the soaking was from the Hospital stay last year. Didn’t have anything to “shock” it with, so, time for the wire wheels, and some sandpaper…Got the small items cleaned up a bit… ...
I retrieved to old wooden planes that belonged to my dad from the shop on the family farm now run by my youngest brother. They probably haven’t been used in 50 years. As a long term project (this coming winter) I want to clean them up and if feasible make them functional. They are at least pre WWII. Would these be something made in a high school shop class in the early 40’s?The large one is 22” long and the smaller is 16”. Since I don’t know much about plane I...
Out in the shop today working on my desk chair which is a found item from a resale shop many years ago. Thought it had some character. It’s been sitting gathering dust and cat hair for a few years now. Just decided to refurbish it for my reopened office. Thought it was mahogany but it turns out it is 1/3rd mahogany. I was going to rub down the finish with four ought (o#0000) steel wool and put a coat of stain and poly on it. When I go started it needed to be taken apart as most...
New Vintage 20" BandSaw Project, Rust Removal & Biesemeyer Fence Install #1: rust removal on cast iron top & refurbish action multiple videos
Video links below… Recently I purchased an older 20” bandsaw. I need a larger bandsaw that can handle anything I throw at it.. I think I found that in a mid 70’s Rockwell 20” wood cutting bandsaw. It probably came out of a school wood shop. The motor is 2hp, it has two speeds which can be adjusted with the belt, it has already been upgraded with carter guides, this big boy saw weighs over 600 lbs. I made several videos regarding this saw which i’ll post below. ...
- My Journey As A Creative Designer - Woodworking and Beyond - 1814 parts
- Extremely Average - 324 parts
- Toy costruction - 130 parts
- A journey into the workshop. - 115 parts
- Workshop Development - 107 parts
- Just for Fun... - 98 parts
- Woodworking on a Half-Shoestring - 91 parts
- Daily Update - 87 parts
- Life as an Amateur Woodworker - 82 parts
- "Hobbit Holes in MyWorld" --by RusticWoodArt - 77 parts
- Sheila Landry (scrollgirl) - 1839 entries
- dbhost - 448 entries
- frank - 417 entries
- degoose - 397 entries
- Ecocandle - 325 entries
- mafe - 322 entries
- MsDebbieP - 314 entries
- Karson - 305 entries
- Martin Sojka - 296 entries
- Dave Rutan - 265 entries
- William - 258 entries
- shipwright - 254 entries
- robscastle - 253 entries
- Betsy - 228 entries
- A Slice of Wood Workshop - 221 entries
- stefang - 221 entries
- Stevinmarin - 212 entries
- bandit571 - 211 entries
- Todd A. Clippinger - 207 entries
- Gary Fixler - 204 entries