On the morning I shipped out my Millers Falls #14, returned from the post office and other errands and had a package sitting on my porch. It was from WayneC The package contained all the parts for a Stanley type 9, in fairly rough shape. Probably the worst looking plane i have received thus far, but i knew what i was getting. japping was in bad shape so was the tote and knob, obviously the tote had been broken and reoaired a few times already, 3 times judging by this picture, but i t...
I recently responded to a friends post about her top 10 books. As in most cases they were recent authors and texts published within the last 20 years or so. So I asked her about what I call, “Old Dead Guys” and listed off a few of them.AthenasiusAugustineJohn CalvinJonathan EdwardsJohn BunyanJohn OwenJoseph CarylBB WarfieldBlaise PascalAlbert BarnesMartin Lloyd-JonesJohn GillCharles Spurgeonand a few others that I could remember in the moment, leaving many aside due to severe brai...
It’s been a couple weeks but I have been working feverishly to get this beauty back in a form that would make the designer proud. I got everything painted, de-rusted and generally cleaned up. I got the cutter head bearings replaced, the bushings on the infeed and outfeed rollers were thankfully serviceable. I say thankfully because the cheapest machine shop wanted 1 hour plus material each. This equates to $70 per bushing x 4, yikes. To replace the MDF top that was on it, and had sank 4...
Well I am about halfway there that I can tell. I am restoring this to be a user, but I am not sure really how far I need to go. I soaked it for 2 days in a molasses water mixture after finding that molasses is a chelation agent like most of the other rustoff products… As you can see, I dont have it “shined up”. But in think what you are seeing is what I keep seeing referred to as patina..but I really dont know. Here you can see the patent numbers, but also you ...
The Type 17 Stanley #4 rehab is, for now, complete. For those with short memories, this is how it looked when we started this journey: The more I worked on this plane, the more two little sayings kept coming into my head:1. Like putting lipstick on a pig. – Every time I shined some part up the rest of it just looked uglier and uglier.2. Beauty is skin-deep but ugly goes to the bone. – I found pits inside pits. If I kept grinding away until every bit of ugly was off this pla...
Two very different planes. A Shelton Block plane Just a little on the rusty side. Another look? Being steel instead of cast iron, yep, it do get a bit orange. The second plane is a little bit bigger, though.. Looks like a new knob will have to be turned. A nice RED frog.. Seems to be alright. Big silver adjuster wheel. Chrome everywhere. Blue paint around the Craftsman logo. Looks like i will have some fun with this clean up. Got out the tools, the bel...
I have been thinking about adding a bench top drill press to my work shop as my next piece of equipment. I started keeping a look out on Craigslist but then I remembered seeing a very old bench top drill press in my wife’s grandmothers basement. I went to take a look and found a Walker Turner DP 101. It had no motor but after looking around in the basement I found a few motors and pulleys. I was able to find a motor that spun counter clockwise so I took everything home. I cleaned it up ...
So here are the wings all cleaned up. I worked with 100, 220, 500, 1000, and then 1200 grit sand paper. I wet sanded the gray painted area and it cleaned up well so I don’t think I will be painting them. I think that they will shine with some wax. There was one small area that I hand to sand down to the metal because there was some sticky gunk stuck to it. The insert had some deep scratches in it so I sanded it down and painted it. The blade guard cleaned up real nice. ...
In saving space, making one piece out of two functions will be a nice way of making tailored furnitures. There are lots of variation, a two piece sets and some are built separately and screwed together. This project started after I built the Agnes’ shelve blogged on first part. The design came in due to the need of storing hutch and a display shelve. There are some challenges such as. 1. The design requirementsI have a very limited space… 40 inches width x 6 1/2 ft high. T...
Nothing’s finished but I have three little boys so it might be 18 years or so but the sanding is done! So I’m posting this stuff so I can at least say I’m finished with something and some how that 15 min at a time in between homeschooling and motherhood and a traveling husband I got something done so I’m going to throw my self a party and get ready to stain. So I’ve been told that I need to condition the wood before I stain but my Dad said he’s never cond...
- My Journey As A Scroll Saw Pattern Designer - 1487 parts
- Extremely Average - 324 parts
- Workshop Development - 107 parts
- Just for Fun... - 93 parts
- A journey into the workshop. - 89 parts
- Daily Update - 87 parts
- "Hobbit Holes in MyWorld" --by RusticWoodArt - 77 parts
- As The Lathe Turns - 76 parts
- WoodWriting Haiku Thursday's --by RusticWoodArt - 74 parts
- The Craftsman's Path - 67 parts
- Sheila Landry (scrollgirl) - 1511 entries
- frank - 417 entries
- degoose - 394 entries
- dbhost - 390 entries
- Ecocandle - 325 entries
- MsDebbieP - 314 entries
- Karson - 305 entries
- Martin Sojka - 296 entries
- William - 258 entries
- mafe - 240 entries
- Betsy - 221 entries
- Stevinmarin - 212 entries
- Gary Fixler - 204 entries
- shipwright - 204 entries
- Todd A. Clippinger - 197 entries
- stefang - 186 entries
- Rustic - 186 entries
- Chris Davis - 183 entries
- BritBoxmaker - 177 entries
- PurpLev - 163 entries