I have been searching kijiji high and low for about a year now, looking for just the right deal. I found that deal about 2 weeks ago. 60km~ away from home, a nice relaxing cruise to Orillia. The fellow I bought this off was quite friendly. Sometimes walking into strangers homes can be unnerving. He showed me some things he made with the lathe over the years, one of which was a solid pine bed frame, very nicely turned in a rustic manner, stained red and painted black to give it that R...
These are pictures after I finished the top, realigned and repainted the fence, and used it for a bit.
Hello Lumberjocks - I’m renting a house that came with an old table saw in the basement – a Craftsman – made by King Seeley Corporation. I found a good description of it here: http://www.old-woodworking-tools.net/craftsman-king-seeley-model-no-10322160-8-table-saw.html and the manual here: http://vintagemachinery.org/pubs/detail.aspx?id=1159 Eventually I hope to buy a house and get a “real” table saw, but in the meantime, I thought I’d see wh...
I found this saw for $20 today on Craigslist. It is a bit rusty and I need to replace the power cord and grease it up a bit. Tell me if I bought a giant paper weight, or if I found a steal. The motor does run, but the cord has a bit of exposed wire. I plan on getting rid of the rust, greasing the entire thing, giving it a fresh paint job and a new table and base. Well, here it is in all it’s glory, or gory… you tell me :) Also, if you know what mode...
This restoration took place a couple of years ago, but thought I’d add it to the blog. I acquired a Bedrock 605 Type 6 at a local antique coop. It was made between 1914 qand 1918 and was pretty rough. I opted to restore it the best I could with reasonable effort and cost. I fixed broken tote, cleaned up as much rust as I could, replaced the front screw on the rear tote, honed the blade, painted the top, and generally just gave it some TLC and elbow grease. The process included d...
First I used a citrus stripper to remove the finish dried to the table. I am very pleased with the results and the product: If I recall correctly it took two rounds of stripping: With the finish removed, on to removing rust from the table top! I used a new product for rust removal this time, as shown in the photograph. I followed the directions, rather than my own common sense, which I regret. The product worked fine, but the instructions were to apply, wait ...
Please don’t laugh, I know all of you out there have “real” power woodworking tools. I could not afford the stuff I wanted as I’m just getting started, and I thought a used Shopsmith might be a good way to get going fast. So I bought this 1954 Shopsmith Mark V on Craigslist for $200.00. After I got it home, it promptly started making all kinds of terrible racket, and I discovered that I had bought $200.00 worth of junk, well almost. I found a place where I cou...
Disston Backsaw Rehab-1 Cleaning, repairing and rehabbing I was in Salt Lake City recently on business. After dinner I slipped into my pajamas to watch tv and do one of my favorite on-the-road activities—look for tools on Ebay. Now that my hand plane inventory has reached 7, it’s time to focus on some other tools. Apparently, if you want to build things out of wood, saws can be pretty helpful. It’s not that I don’t have any. I have a modern (read crappy) handsaw along with a 14″ Stanley...
I went to an estate sale the other day and some tools managed to attach themselves to me somehow. I wjust wanted to browse around but these things jumped up from the well worn workbench in the garage and clung to me. Not being someone to cause a scene I just bought them. So now I got them (drat ;-)) I’d love to put them back in use. First up is a Abernathy Tool & Vise Co. woodworking vise. This sucker was still attached to the bench when I got it and the only tool I was able to u...
The fence, having been stored outside in a shed for two years, had dried out and the two side boards had shrunk enough that both boards had fallen off while transporting it home. The bumper rail was also separating from the ends and would not stay down with just a press-fit as intended. I chose to glue the ends of the bumper down with CA glue, only at the ends where it was separating: After the glue dried I enlisted my assistant to dismantle the lever for cleaning, rust removal, ...
- My Journey As A Creative Designer - Woodworking and Beyond - 1794 parts
- Extremely Average - 324 parts
- Toy costruction - 116 parts
- A journey into the workshop. - 110 parts
- Workshop Development - 107 parts
- Just for Fun... - 98 parts
- Daily Update - 87 parts
- Woodworking on a Half-Shoestring - 82 parts
- Life as an Amateur Woodworker - 81 parts
- "Hobbit Holes in MyWorld" --by RusticWoodArt - 77 parts
- Sheila Landry (scrollgirl) - 1819 entries
- dbhost - 436 entries
- frank - 417 entries
- degoose - 397 entries
- Ecocandle - 325 entries
- MsDebbieP - 314 entries
- mafe - 313 entries
- Karson - 305 entries
- Martin Sojka - 296 entries
- William - 258 entries
- shipwright - 254 entries
- robscastle - 242 entries
- Dave Rutan - 231 entries
- Betsy - 228 entries
- stefang - 221 entries
- Stevinmarin - 212 entries
- A Slice of Wood Workshop - 211 entries
- Todd A. Clippinger - 207 entries
- Gary Fixler - 204 entries
- Smitty_Cabinetshop - 195 entries