Greetings! Thanks to a bunch of much-greater-then-I wood artisans that I have come to admire in the Lumberjocks I have rediscovered the thrill of creation. I hope to soon be posting a Backgammon Board. I have wanted to build one since High School wood shop some thirty years ago. I hope you like it. However, my wife seems to think I should devote time to more “reasonable” projects such as refinishing the kitchen cabinets and front door. Not all the cabinets. Just the ones that are ...
After spending way too long on this I have a new stand for my tablesaw to replace the old one which essentially died in the middle of my hallway. Because my cobblestone patio is so rough I put the hardware from a garden wagon on the stand and widened the wheelbase a bit to make the saw less wobbly when it is being moved. to keep the saw from moving when in use I added some self leveling outrigger legs which block the wheels from turning and make it rock steady. I am already thinking of way...
This is my latest ongoing project. It was built in 1922, currently it has no electricity, running water or heat. It’s approximately 3000 sq feet including the basement sitting on 4 acres. We purchased the property for 17000.00 and are holding services every Sunday morning. My wife is the pastor and we have a small congregation. Ceilings are 20 foot and the acoustics are amazing. We are picking up pews next week. I found church who is replacing there pews with chairs so they have 33 ...
The Type 17 Stanley #4 rehab is, for now, complete. For those with short memories, this is how it looked when we started this journey: The more I worked on this plane, the more two little sayings kept coming into my head:1. Like putting lipstick on a pig. – Every time I shined some part up the rest of it just looked uglier and uglier.2. Beauty is skin-deep but ugly goes to the bone. – I found pits inside pits. If I kept grinding away until every bit of ugly was off this pla...
I’ve been looking to grow my hand plane collection for almost a year. A Stanley #6 kinda satisfied my tastes, I don’t make a lot of large projects, and nice Stanley #7’s and #8’s usually command premium prices. This #6 showed up on eBay, and I bid until I won. A whole $39.75 Man, this thing is HUGE! Well at least for me. It weighs just under 8 pounds. (from Patrick’s Blood & Gore website), and the sole and sides were evenly covered in rust. ...
I am tearing down our 150+ year old pine/hemlock barn and love the look of the barn wood. I want to use some to make 2 tables, chairs, banquette, and flooring. We have found one nest of termites in the rafters. I wont be using any roofing wood, but I am extremely concerned about bringing bugs into my home. What do I need to do to ensure that all my lumber is pest free?
This will be my first go at restoring a wooden bodied hand plane. In the pics you’ll see it’s an older Stanley wooden bodied plane that is rusted up pretty bad. I can handle the rust issue with electrolysis like I’ve done many times before. As I’m typing this there are parts in the bath and last night I did the iron/blade….which is pitted pretty bad. But what concerns me are the checks in the wooden body and layers of gunk built up on the wood. In your...
So I was working in my shop one day and along comes one of my neighbors. He says that he’s seen me doing some work and asks me if I am interested in some old wood he is clearing out of a storage unit. I say sure, bring it by and I’ll find something to do with it. So he comes by a couple of days later with a truck load of old birch plywood and melamine.. and old table… misc bits and pieces of what was a woodshop one day. I was thrilled to have some more material to work with&...
Well, it’s been a while since I have done any serious woodwork (too long) but what I have done is complete a tablesaw build.Some of you may have seen the question I asked when I came across the oportunity to get a free table saw: http://lumberjocks.com/topics/41959Comments were varied, from don’t touch it to grab it while you can. Well here are the results. First job was to strip off the fairly flimsy frame and set about building a new one.The legs are fairly substantial 3̶...
I finished the door by opening the joint between the top rail and stile. I inserted the new louvers and clamped everything back together. I inserted 3” wood screws through the stile into the top rail and the mid rail and used some filler to hide the screws. A little more flat paint, and the repairs are seemless. Repair took about 15 minutes. Total Labor : 1.25 hours @ $32/ hr = $40.Total Mat’l: Scrap poplar, paint, 10% mark up = $3.30Total cost to client = $43.30 If ...
- My Journey As A Scroll Saw Pattern Designer - 1406 parts
- Extremely Average - 324 parts
- Workshop Development - 107 parts
- A journey into the workshop. - 89 parts
- Daily Update - 87 parts
- Just for Fun... - 86 parts
- "Hobbit Holes in MyWorld" --by RusticWoodArt - 77 parts
- As The Lathe Turns - 76 parts
- WoodWriting Haiku Thursday's --by RusticWoodArt - 74 parts
- The Craftsman's Path - 67 parts
- Sheila Landry (scrollgirl) - 1430 entries
- frank - 417 entries
- degoose - 394 entries
- dbhost - 390 entries
- Ecocandle - 325 entries
- MsDebbieP - 314 entries
- Karson - 305 entries
- Martin Sojka - 296 entries
- William - 258 entries
- mafe - 230 entries
- Betsy - 221 entries
- Stevinmarin - 212 entries
- Gary Fixler - 204 entries
- Todd A. Clippinger - 195 entries
- Rustic - 186 entries
- shipwright - 185 entries
- Chris Davis - 183 entries
- stefang - 174 entries
- BritBoxmaker - 168 entries
- PurpLev - 163 entries