Now that I have all of my lumber to start my projects, I need to get my garage in order and put together the shop in the best possible layout. But the first order of business is getting my vintage craftsman jointer in working condition. Oh as a heads up I very rarely and I do mean rarely buy anything tools new. Just a waste of money that can be spent on wood and more tools, but I digress. I have a Craftsman/King Sealey 101.03582 6” jointer with a fixed infeed table and adjustable outfee...
It was a beautiful fall day and I had the shop opened up with a fan running behind me and after putting a new belt on the sander I just had to give it a test run. I picked up a 2×4 out of the scrap bin about 16 inch’s long, fired up the sander and laid the board carefully in place. Well the first thing I noticed was a cloud of dust coming off the end of that new belt, being new it was really cutting off some wood! As I leaned over a bit to have a better look I noticed a pile of...
I went into the Potter’s House in Fayetteville just to kill some time while the wife was at her Doctor appointment. The Potter House is a resale store who’s proceeds go to charity. I’m not even sure who gets the benefit from the sales. But, anyway they had a old table top that was a restaurant booth at some time. It was glued up oak about 4’ long x 3’ wide and 1 1/2” thick. They had it marked for $5.75 and why I didn’t buy it right then is beyond...
Spent most of this Saturday tearing down everything that I could. Started off removing the top that had NO shims at all. Found white power everywhere from the cultured marble cutting that was done on this machine. Took time to air blast and brush out all that I could. ————————— Took a picture of the electrical switch for future hook ups since I have to remove the cord & motor. —————R...
and attached to the base. Needed an old drill to make some slots in the brackets.. I’d drill straight through, about in the middle of a bracket, then rock the bit back and forth to make a slot. Need the slot at 90 degrees to the length of the top. Just loose enough the screw can slide as the top moves. Now, once the four slots were drilled, I checked on the underside of the top…...no crayola stuff, still nasty. Time for one of these things, again.. A Stanley #4, this ...
Well, I think the top is as cleaned up as I can get it, now Forgotten how many knots that old Walnut had…Ok, put the top aside for a while, need to fix the other part of the table… The old ones were too thick, and didn’t hold screws very well These will get tossed. laid out some lines on a 1×6. Bandsaw to cut a pair of 2” wide strips, and a thinner middle one. Decided to joint the wider boards, made it easier to miter them Went upstairs to grab a...
Few years back, salvaged parts from an old Meersman Coffee Table I found on a trash pile. had some black Walnut, and basically rebuilt it. Aprons were saved to be patterns, Legs cleaned up and reused. Let the GrandBRATS us it up in their room…....finally got the table back to my house… Yeah….Base was loose, missing a few screws. Will fix that after a bit. Markings in my finish!!! Crayola finish?? Well, decided that that mess just had to leave….Coarse ...
I decided I had to edit something else besides project video for a change. So I put together a short one of repairing the Bosch Glide Mitre saw that was damaged by UPS in shipping. Jim at Bosch shipped me the part directly instead of having to deal with UPS claim service. I did call UPS and the customer service rep told me he would forward it to the “investigation” department, all the while making it feel like I was the one being under investigation. View on YouTube
Bit by bit and either with a palm sander or by hand, the table has been sanded to a nice smooth finish. 180 grit was the last grit I used and I felt that is sufficient for this project. I am quite happy with the progress and the way it looks. Now for the next step and looking for a bit of advice. I have researched as much as I can about applying a epoxy bar finish. I think it was on a youtube post that someone prefinished their table with tung oil. I am thinking of doing the same thing ...
I was in need of a little shelf to hold an alarm clock in my guest room. I decided to make one out of an old book. The difference between this and other floating books that are out there is that this one has a hidden compartment built inside! I’ve included the build video if you’re interested in making one yourself. View on YouTube
- My Journey As A Creative Designer - Woodworking and Beyond - 1792 parts
- Extremely Average - 324 parts
- Toy costruction - 114 parts
- A journey into the workshop. - 110 parts
- Workshop Development - 107 parts
- Just for Fun... - 98 parts
- Daily Update - 87 parts
- Life as an Amateur Woodworker - 81 parts
- Woodworking on a Half-Shoestring - 81 parts
- "Hobbit Holes in MyWorld" --by RusticWoodArt - 77 parts
- Sheila Landry (scrollgirl) - 1817 entries
- dbhost - 436 entries
- frank - 417 entries
- degoose - 397 entries
- Ecocandle - 325 entries
- MsDebbieP - 314 entries
- mafe - 313 entries
- Karson - 305 entries
- Martin Sojka - 296 entries
- William - 258 entries
- shipwright - 254 entries
- robscastle - 241 entries
- Dave Rutan - 231 entries
- Betsy - 228 entries
- stefang - 221 entries
- Stevinmarin - 212 entries
- A Slice of Wood Workshop - 210 entries
- Todd A. Clippinger - 207 entries
- Gary Fixler - 204 entries
- Smitty_Cabinetshop - 195 entries