After bringing the beast home last night, I tore into it this evening after nearly emptying the garage. It is truly amazing how much wood I have that I havent paid anything for, you would think that would make it easier to get rid of…. But getting back to the project at hand. This is where we begin. It doesnt look like much but I assure you two grown men wont move this around without grunting. I havent taken it off the table yet, tomorrows project but not much left but a carcass.Cutter ...
My father had acquired this old, apparently inoperable, Sprunger jointer when I was much younger. Over the years, I watched it continue to accumulate dust as it sat in the corner, never repaired to be used. My dad kind of got away from any woodworking since that time, but I’ve developed a stronger interest. I have made efforts to “economically” outfit a respectable shop, and in that vain, was able to negotiate this salvageable piece of equipment for my own use. It is...
I finally took my great grandfathers #4 Dunlap bench plane out back and cleaned it up this afternoon. The original forum post is here First I made sure that I had everything ready and all the protective stuff I would need to safely work with phosphoric acid. I soaked the small parts in a tupper ware and scrubbed stuff in my oil change catch pan. Gotta love a multi-tasker! And of course some tunes on the iPhone. The Krud Kutter Rust Buster really worked quickly, the rust was pretty easy...
Adjusting the Saw Blade Alignment, Again—This Time With A JigAs posted in the blog I aligned the table saw blade to the miter slot by clamping my dial indicator to my miter gauge. I knew this wouldn’t be perfect, but thought it would be good enough. However, after finishing the saw, doubts lingered. I had paid for In-Line Industries PALS after all—why not have it aligned perfectly? Last night after work I shamelessly copied ajosephg's shop-made jig on this post. ajosephg...
The fence, having been stored outside in a shed for two years, had dried out and the two side boards had shrunk enough that both boards had fallen off while transporting it home. The bumper rail was also separating from the ends and would not stay down with just a press-fit as intended. I chose to glue the ends of the bumper down with CA glue, only at the ends where it was separating: After the glue dried I enlisted my assistant to dismantle the lever for cleaning, rust removal, ...
Here you can see the end result of cleaning the underside of the table. The minor rust seems to be converted and sealed as the product claimed. At this point I reassembled the saw. I didn’t include any pictures here as they are redundant given the previous photos and not likely relevant to your saw. During assembly, I followed the instructions in the manual for aligning the saw. The instructions for aligning the blade could be summarized as follows (this is my condensed vers...
A couple months ago I found a few of old saws- I havent had the time to commit to a detailed “project” lately, so Ive been piddling with returning these geezers back to work horses. (With much inspiration from you lumberjocks!). While waiting on the drill press frame to get braised, Ive started on this saw (far right in above picture). It needs a good cleaning , and a new handle. The set is actually fairly decent, and some might say sharp (?)......some.Anywho, first coated the ...
Okay! Let’s really take this thing apart! I took many, many photos of this disassembly process, which I won’t bore you with in this blog, to assure I could reassemble the saw properly. I have only included enough photos to help you follow me with my progress as I clean the saw. Before I disassembled the saw, I realized I hadn’t dealt with the edges of the saw table, yet. Before shot: After about three quick sandings with penetrating oil and the same wet/dry sa...
First I used a citrus stripper to remove the finish dried to the table. I am very pleased with the results and the product: If I recall correctly it took two rounds of stripping: With the finish removed, on to removing rust from the table top! I used a new product for rust removal this time, as shown in the photograph. I followed the directions, rather than my own common sense, which I regret. The product worked fine, but the instructions were to apply, wait ...
Before I begin let me clarify that calling this a “refurbish” is a bit of a stretch. I disassembled, removed some rust, sealed to prevent rust, reassembled, and then tuned the saw. Also, I am no expert and am figuring this out as I go. If you see me doing something poorly and have suggestions, please do help me and your fellow jocks by posting your comments. I recently purchased a Powermatic 64A Contractors table saw used on Craigslist. The manual that came with it is copyr...
- My Journey As A Scroll Saw Pattern Designer - 1660 parts
- Extremely Average - 324 parts
- Workshop Development - 107 parts
- Just for Fun... - 97 parts
- A journey into the workshop. - 89 parts
- Daily Update - 87 parts
- "Hobbit Holes in MyWorld" --by RusticWoodArt - 77 parts
- As The Lathe Turns - 76 parts
- WoodWriting Haiku Thursday's --by RusticWoodArt - 74 parts
- ScrollSaw Information and Resources - 68 parts
- Sheila Landry (scrollgirl) - 1685 entries
- frank - 417 entries
- dbhost - 400 entries
- degoose - 397 entries
- Ecocandle - 325 entries
- MsDebbieP - 314 entries
- Karson - 305 entries
- Martin Sojka - 296 entries
- mafe - 281 entries
- William - 258 entries
- shipwright - 229 entries
- Betsy - 226 entries
- Stevinmarin - 212 entries
- stefang - 208 entries
- Gary Fixler - 204 entries
- Todd A. Clippinger - 201 entries
- robscastle - 189 entries
- Rustic - 189 entries
- BritBoxmaker - 188 entries
- Chris Davis - 184 entries