Continuing to work up the saw I got the next big chunk of work done, the motor and the motor carriage. I followed pretty much the same process I used while doing the base. Like I said before, this saw is in great working shape and had been used daily by the gentleman that had it before. I both the motor bearings and track bearings had already been replaced. They were in good shape so all I needed to do was give them a thorough cleaning. I also hand painted the embossed DeWalt logo ‘k...
I decided to tackle everything in sections because I have limited space and can’t have everything spread out all of the time. So the first thing I tackled was the base. Everything was disassembled. Rust remover was used on the legs and base. After this a wire wheel cleaned everything up and I was back to bare metal. Everything was primed with Rustoleum Clean Metal Primer which prevents rusting, then painted with Rustoleum Smoke Grey. Originally the plan was to replace all the bolt...
Recently, I had to repaint a large ceiling under warranty in the living room. It was below a bathroom that I had remodeled a few years ago. The toilet wax ring leaked of course and I had to repair the 3/4” plaster, then prime and paint the whole ceiling. . This was not an easy job as the room was full of artwork, paintings and heavy furniture. We had to carefully move everything out and lay down drop clothes everywhere..Normally, I would just call my painter, write the check and be done...
Disston Backsaw Rehab-1 Cleaning, repairing and rehabbing I was in Salt Lake City recently on business. After dinner I slipped into my pajamas to watch tv and do one of my favorite on-the-road activities—look for tools on Ebay. Now that my hand plane inventory has reached 7, it’s time to focus on some other tools. Apparently, if you want to build things out of wood, saws can be pretty helpful. It’s not that I don’t have any. I have a modern (read crappy) handsaw along with a 14″ Stanley...
So after spending 820 days working 26 hours a day, 8 days a week on restoring this dresser it’s finally DONE! Ok, so it certainly was not a priority project and got very sporadic time devoted to it over the last 2 years but what a chore it was… I think it’s far easier to build something from scratch than to restore an older piece. As you can see from the first couple of pictures, there is a slight cup in the top which wasn’t able to be straightened out and you can s...
Today I had a unique experience that really got me doing something I’ve wanted to for a long time. Some background: So I have a ~150-180 year old outhouse that the previous owner moved off its old foundation and next to the pool, where it now serves as a filter/pump house. One side of the roof was cedar shingles and the other was metal sheeting (think refugee camp and you get the picture). During one of our windstorms, which the area is notorious for, the metal sheeting peeled back l...
I have been inspired by web findings on Lumberjocks and elsewhere to restore a Dewalt Radial Arm Saw (GS). Currently, I don’t have a real wood shop because I am in college and all of my woodworking was done at home (in my dads workshop). Although I do have the necessities, as far as tools go, I don’t have the right tool-set for woodworking. So fixing up this old saw is the closest to woodworking I can get. It also gives me a chance to ignore homework! This saw is in great worki...
As you know from reading my profile, most of my tools came from my family after our father’s death. Slowly I have been restoring them. Here is a 4 1/8” Sears Jointer/Planer. As you can see in the first photo, there’s lots of rust on it. The fence is not true; and dad re-engineered the switch. Ah, much better! Evapo Rust (and beer) came to the rescue again. (You might want to look at my review of this product – it works great.) Back in 2009, Home Depot had a magazin...
THE FENCE IS HERE! NOTE: Please read parts 1 and 2 to know how I got where I’m at today. Thandks for looking, any comments or suggestions are welcome, Hersh Now the fun begins. I unpacked eveything and counted all the nut and bolts, etc. Then read the instructions and reviewed some of LJ’s blogs and started in. The first thing I had to determine was how the holes on the saw line up with the holes on the fence. I soon realized that none of the holes were going to wor...
I’ve been wanting to do some improvments to my tablesaw and I finally got the first one done. My tablesaw is a Boice Crane and has been around for while. I know only the old timers have heard of a Boice Crane, thought y’all might like a trip down memory lane. It’s a second hand tablsaw but it does what a tablesaw is suppose to do, and that’s all that matters. I’ve been wanting to box in the bottom and hook up the vacum to it. I made some before and after pictures...
- My Journey As A Scroll Saw Pattern Designer - 1451 parts
- Extremely Average - 324 parts
- Workshop Development - 107 parts
- Just for Fun... - 93 parts
- A journey into the workshop. - 89 parts
- Daily Update - 87 parts
- "Hobbit Holes in MyWorld" --by RusticWoodArt - 77 parts
- As The Lathe Turns - 76 parts
- WoodWriting Haiku Thursday's --by RusticWoodArt - 74 parts
- The Craftsman's Path - 67 parts
- Sheila Landry (scrollgirl) - 1475 entries
- frank - 417 entries
- degoose - 394 entries
- dbhost - 390 entries
- Ecocandle - 325 entries
- MsDebbieP - 314 entries
- Karson - 305 entries
- Martin Sojka - 296 entries
- William - 258 entries
- mafe - 235 entries
- Betsy - 221 entries
- Stevinmarin - 212 entries
- Gary Fixler - 204 entries
- Todd A. Clippinger - 197 entries
- shipwright - 195 entries
- Rustic - 186 entries
- Chris Davis - 183 entries
- stefang - 183 entries
- BritBoxmaker - 169 entries
- PurpLev - 163 entries