A few months ago, a friend asked me if I was good enough at woodworking to refinish a coffee table. So, I of course took the challenge and thought piece of cake. No planning, no milling, no joinery, no assembly, no problem. HA! And any of you out there who have ever refinished anything are probably laughing too. Never again -Lord willing- will I be so prideful. Soon after I scraped the first application of stripper on one side, I realized what I had gotten myself into. So, I trudged along, s...
Rebuilding a vintage Craftsman Table Saw 113.29920 #13: After much delay and empty promises, it draws to an end.
Well, the table saw / router workstation are finished. (At least as finished as I care to make them.) Have a look here..... There is a good bit of blood sweat and tears in that project. Actually no, more like beer, planning and a lot of good days working with my hands…. Notice that Babycake wants to demonstrate how easy the dust collection works by flipping a simple switch….. On the front of the unit, the fixed faceplates for switches (minus the one for the key...
It’s been a couple weeks but I have been working feverishly to get this beauty back in a form that would make the designer proud. I got everything painted, de-rusted and generally cleaned up. I got the cutter head bearings replaced, the bushings on the infeed and outfeed rollers were thankfully serviceable. I say thankfully because the cheapest machine shop wanted 1 hour plus material each. This equates to $70 per bushing x 4, yikes. To replace the MDF top that was on it, and had sank 4...
I have been reading about French Polishing for some time now and finally dedicated the beginning of my thanksgiving break to finding a good source for how to apply this classical finish. Shellac is a very finicky finish and is hard to REALY get right. Although this site is for guitars it seems to be and excellent guide to French Polishing.
Continued working on getting all the pieces apart. Got all the blades out, only had to use the hammer a little bit. I was concerned about having to drill out nibs. Got very lucky on that. Decided to wait until I could get evapo-rust to soak the top end. After quick inspection it looks like I need to replace some brass bearings.I spun the motor by hand, sounds like the bearings are dry but useable. This motor is a beast, tag claims it is 1.5 hp but this thing is bigger than the 3hp on my TS. N...
After bringing the beast home last night, I tore into it this evening after nearly emptying the garage. It is truly amazing how much wood I have that I havent paid anything for, you would think that would make it easier to get rid of…. But getting back to the project at hand. This is where we begin. It doesnt look like much but I assure you two grown men wont move this around without grunting. I havent taken it off the table yet, tomorrows project but not much left but a carcass.Cutter ...
My father had acquired this old, apparently inoperable, Sprunger jointer when I was much younger. Over the years, I watched it continue to accumulate dust as it sat in the corner, never repaired to be used. My dad kind of got away from any woodworking since that time, but I’ve developed a stronger interest. I have made efforts to “economically” outfit a respectable shop, and in that vain, was able to negotiate this salvageable piece of equipment for my own use. It is...
I finally took my great grandfathers #4 Dunlap bench plane out back and cleaned it up this afternoon. The original forum post is here First I made sure that I had everything ready and all the protective stuff I would need to safely work with phosphoric acid. I soaked the small parts in a tupper ware and scrubbed stuff in my oil change catch pan. Gotta love a multi-tasker! And of course some tunes on the iPhone. The Krud Kutter Rust Buster really worked quickly, the rust was pretty easy...
Adjusting the Saw Blade Alignment, Again—This Time With A JigAs posted in the blog I aligned the table saw blade to the miter slot by clamping my dial indicator to my miter gauge. I knew this wouldn’t be perfect, but thought it would be good enough. However, after finishing the saw, doubts lingered. I had paid for In-Line Industries PALS after all—why not have it aligned perfectly? Last night after work I shamelessly copied ajosephg's shop-made jig on this post. ajosephg...
The fence, having been stored outside in a shed for two years, had dried out and the two side boards had shrunk enough that both boards had fallen off while transporting it home. The bumper rail was also separating from the ends and would not stay down with just a press-fit as intended. I chose to glue the ends of the bumper down with CA glue, only at the ends where it was separating: After the glue dried I enlisted my assistant to dismantle the lever for cleaning, rust removal, ...
- My Journey As A Scroll Saw Pattern Designer - 1585 parts
- Extremely Average - 324 parts
- Workshop Development - 107 parts
- Just for Fun... - 96 parts
- A journey into the workshop. - 89 parts
- Daily Update - 87 parts
- "Hobbit Holes in MyWorld" --by RusticWoodArt - 77 parts
- As The Lathe Turns - 76 parts
- WoodWriting Haiku Thursday's --by RusticWoodArt - 74 parts
- ScrollSaw Information and Resources - 68 parts
- Sheila Landry (scrollgirl) - 1610 entries
- frank - 417 entries
- degoose - 396 entries
- dbhost - 390 entries
- Ecocandle - 325 entries
- MsDebbieP - 314 entries
- Karson - 305 entries
- Martin Sojka - 296 entries
- mafe - 278 entries
- William - 258 entries
- Betsy - 221 entries
- shipwright - 213 entries
- Stevinmarin - 212 entries
- Gary Fixler - 204 entries
- Todd A. Clippinger - 199 entries
- stefang - 198 entries
- Rustic - 188 entries
- BritBoxmaker - 186 entries
- Chris Davis - 183 entries
- Smitty_Cabinetshop - 176 entries