Well, so this blog has not turned out as interesting as I had hoped. There’s just not that much exciting about degreasing, “polishing”, and painting. I suppose I expected more hurdles along the way, however I’d say that all-in-all I got pretty lucky by having a pretty solid machine to begin with. Here are some pictures of the “final” product. My only real hesitation is that now I need to figure something out for the stand. I have plenty o...
a week ago I won a Hamilton Drafting table in a surplus auction from my local university, since then I have been sanding my hands off to re finish it. The biggest challenge has been the drawing surface. it had been used in a machine shop and had many straight line cuts in it as well as a number of pits and chips from machined metal parts. I have now done three applications of joint compound to fill these cuts and dips and am happy with the surface. I have sanded it down to a 320 grit and will...
Above all else, to me, this stage is the most important part of reviving an old hand plane. A flat and polished sole makes it run like new again and perform significantly better. Based on my experience, I would bet that the manufacturing tolerances on old Stanley planes were not too strict, as many of the planes i’ve restored were way out of flat, even if they didn’t seem to be heavily used. A flat polished sole will allow the plane to glide smoothly, will decrease tear-out and...
I bought this old solid beech school woodwork bench on ebay for £60. ($95)Heres the start of bringing it back to life back view front view top viewThe kids have knocked nails in to the top and repaetedly sawed into the edges.Nails were punched below the surace at least 3/8 inch and plugged with mahogany dowl.Holes were enlarged to solid wood and filled with glued in tapered dowlsSaw cuts recut with wider kerf sawblade and strips of hardwood gluedin end view holes holes f...
The first step to reviving an old hand plane is to try to get it looking like something that you wouldnt mind having in your tool box. I start by disassembling the entire tool and laying out the parts to assess the condition and work involved. I then take a firm brush and remove all of the dust and dirt, followed by a wire brush/steel wool to remove any of the loose, rough rust and dirt particles. Once i’ve got it down to the raw rusty parts, I use Permatex Naval Jelly (Phosph...
I’ve seen a number of postings and blogs on LJ about restoring an old hand plane the very thorough way, taking an old plane that looks haggared from years of use and restoring it to new. While that is a great way to do it, if you have the time, money for all the required parts etc, and I wish i did, because that’s a great way to get good results. This is not one of those posts. This is a great method for those who have a small budget but are willing to put in some elbow grease....
So it’s been long enough, I thought I’d post an update, as insignificant as it may seem. Life with a 2 year old, on top of work, doesn’t allow much time for this hobby. I was able to disassemble the entire machine, and inspect everything closer. This is the main body of the unit, shown cleaned up, repainted, and the badge polished. As I mentioned in my last post, I had purchased replacement bearings for the machine. Since then, I received the bearings, and had t...
Amazing what a bit of paint can do… not only does it make the place look tidier, but can also brighten the place up. Though painting the bricks (and there is a bit more to do yet) did chew threw the paint but once it is on the repainting later on will be a lot easier. See nice and bright, makes the place happy… though kinda reminds me of the flat we use to live in before we bought this place … hmmm thats a bad thing. The bricks are support bricks for the upstairs coal range, which i...
Was given an old wood clamp with a steel runner the other day was a bit worse for wear, it was being thrown out…but but but it is still functionable. Anyway today I decided to give it a bit of a tidy up, I decided instead of replacing the bits I would just sand them as I found out as well the clamp is over 100 years old. So it would be cool to keep the orginal and with its battle scars and all. Before the sanding and re-oil… All I did was give it a light sand including ...
I’m one week into the unscheduled remodel of the laundry room and spare bed room that is located in the basement. It is going very well because I have taken it slowly, not rushed and taken time off. I advocate spending as much time as possible in the shop and I have not been in mine for a week now. I figured that remodeling was close to woodwork so to keep from burning out I should stay away from the shop. So after a week of not being in there I can hear it calling me. I will be glad wh...
- My Journey As A Scroll Saw Pattern Designer - 1614 parts
- Extremely Average - 324 parts
- Workshop Development - 107 parts
- Just for Fun... - 97 parts
- A journey into the workshop. - 89 parts
- Daily Update - 87 parts
- "Hobbit Holes in MyWorld" --by RusticWoodArt - 77 parts
- As The Lathe Turns - 76 parts
- WoodWriting Haiku Thursday's --by RusticWoodArt - 74 parts
- ScrollSaw Information and Resources - 68 parts
- Sheila Landry (scrollgirl) - 1639 entries
- frank - 417 entries
- degoose - 397 entries
- dbhost - 390 entries
- Ecocandle - 325 entries
- MsDebbieP - 314 entries
- Karson - 305 entries
- Martin Sojka - 296 entries
- mafe - 279 entries
- William - 258 entries
- shipwright - 222 entries
- Betsy - 221 entries
- Stevinmarin - 212 entries
- Gary Fixler - 204 entries
- Todd A. Clippinger - 199 entries
- stefang - 198 entries
- Rustic - 188 entries
- BritBoxmaker - 187 entries
- Chris Davis - 183 entries
- robscastle - 182 entries