The glued fractures appear to be holding up well. Since the fractures weren’t smooth and the sole wasn’t flat—with major gouges between the mouth and toe—I decided to take some course grit to the outside and flatten the sole. The sole is flat and the gouges are gone. Progressing through the grits should make this look, feel and work better once finished. The wedge is shot. A replacement will have to be made. The trouble area is really betwee...
I should have been updating this more often instead of posting all of the pictures at once but I guess I’ll be better about it next time. Once the base and frame were assembled I opened the motor and found how jammed it was full of saw dust. After cleaning it out I changed out the switch for a paddle switch. After the switch was mounted I enclosed the bottom of the saw with plywood for dust collection. I installed the factory fence and realized how wobbly it was so I upgraded to a V...
After working on the table top I moved on to the base. After sitting outside for a few years it had really began to rust pretty bad. I sanded it all down to bare metal, painted it, and reassembled with new hardware. (First time using photobucket for pictures, hope they come out ok)
I started this project in May and have finally completed it. I was given an old Craftsman 12” direct drive saw from my father-in-law. The saw had been outside under a tarp for the last 3 years. The top was rusted and the gears were full of saw dust and gunk. The trunion was completely locked up. ! I disassembled the saw and started with cleaning the gears. It took a couple of hours, but afterwards it worked wonderfully. Next I began sanding the top. It was in ...
Over the weekend, my daughter and I got to work adding some support to the bottom of the cabinets. My thinking was to add some structural support along with having a good spot to add legs to the bottom of each unit. Once that was finished up, I added the legs to all four corners of each of the cabinets. Next up will be arranging them along the wall and adding the top and setting up my miter saw.
I had to come to terms with not being able to restore this piece an keep the original finish, there was just to much corrosion. I used a progression of wet/dry sandpaper starting at 320g an working my way up to 2000g. It came out pretty good and I’ll probably follow this up with some sort of aluminum buffing compound and a buffing wheel.
I’m looking for som help and guidance here. I decided to try and tackle the cleaning of the silver plate on the front of the saw, which I believe is aluminum, and I’m hoping someone more knowledgeable than me can help. Here’s what I started with: My initial thought was to use water, mild soap and a nylon bristle brush. That did clean a good portion of the large easy to get stuff, but it’s left me with this. I don’t want to do something that I can...
Earlier this spring, my dad brought over his old cabinets that he’d used for his shop workbench. He’s had these longer than I can even remember and is finally upgrading his set up at his shop and offered them to me. I’ve been wanting to build a miter saw station and was planning on trying the Jay Bates station when I had the funds available to buy all of the necessary lumber. Now that I have these cabinets, I’m going to utilize them to do a sort of hybrid version ...
Hello everyone, it’s both my first post to the site and my first ever blog post all in one. I’ve been browsing the site for a few weeks now because I’ve been on the market for a new table saw and sort of fell in love with the idea of rebuilding a Craftsman 113. Well after contacting a couple of people through my local Craigslist, today I went out and picked up not just one but two table saws. The first saw I found and actually had a friend go and take a look at for me...
The past couple years ive developed a passion for woodworking. its my time where i can get so focused on my projects and completely block out anything the world is throwing at me at any given time. I guess you can say the craft itself is basically my therapist, only if i were to substitute a real therapist id probably save about 10x the money that i do on tools, but they are beginning to get to the point where they are starting to pay themselves off. In my opinion where the true passion for ...
- My Journey As A Creative Designer - Woodworking and Beyond - 1821 parts
- Extremely Average - 324 parts
- Toy costruction - 131 parts
- A journey into the workshop. - 115 parts
- Workshop Development - 107 parts
- Just for Fun... - 98 parts
- Woodworking on a Half-Shoestring - 91 parts
- Daily Update - 87 parts
- Life as an Amateur Woodworker - 82 parts
- Shop stuff - 80 parts
- Sheila Landry (scrollgirl) - 1846 entries
- dbhost - 449 entries
- frank - 417 entries
- degoose - 397 entries
- Ecocandle - 325 entries
- mafe - 324 entries
- MsDebbieP - 314 entries
- Karson - 305 entries
- Martin Sojka - 296 entries
- Dave Rutan - 272 entries
- William - 258 entries
- robscastle - 255 entries
- shipwright - 255 entries
- Betsy - 228 entries
- A Slice of Wood Workshop - 225 entries
- bandit571 - 223 entries
- stefang - 221 entries
- Stevinmarin - 212 entries
- Todd A. Clippinger - 207 entries
- Gary Fixler - 204 entries