Wash Coat #2: Waterborne Finish Coatings As previously mentioned in Preventing Blotching Using A Wash Coat #1, most any standard finish can be used as a wash coat. These are Lacquer (both waterborne and solvent type/nitrocellulose), polyurethane (both waterborne and oil based), Oil-based Varnish, and Shellac. The above being said, lets talk Waterbourne. It really makes no difference which you use waterborne lacquer, waterborne shellac or waterborne polyurethane since they all are simply...
Did a bit of trading the other day, and wound up with three wood planes….wood bodied planes. While the fellow was there, I sharpened the iron on one of them, and made a few shavings. But, all three of these planes needed a little more touch-up.. The one in the center of this group was first in line. Japanning was about gone on most of the iron works. Wire brush to remove the red stuff, too. Have a small jar of Dupli-colour Black. Painted the cleaned up lever cal first ...
A friend of mine was most kind and gifted me a 1909 Millers Falls Miter Box, Size 2 1/2, No. 74. It was in terrific shape excepting the rust that had developed over the last 100+ years, and a welded repair (which I’ve read online is quite common on these miter boxes). I decided to refurbish it to like-new condition and put it in service rather than keep it as a collectible. It started in this condition (sorry for the poor quality of this photo): You can see the extent of...
Wash Coat #1: Finishing with Wash Coats I am starting to put together an article covering finishing and this will be part of the coverage but not just limited to preventing blotching as a wash coat will aid in a more consistent staining color. This will be updated as my thoughts are organized. This is only a small portion: A wash coat is a coat of thinned finish that’s applied to bare wood to partially seal the surface before a stain is applied. It reduces the amount of stain from so...
Here you can find all the link to the Maritime show. I featured as the spot light on Jan 3 7:oopm EST come check it out. http://www.mfwoodshop.com/2015/01/the-woodworkers-weekend-shop-talk/#more-720
Picked this one up at a yard sale for $2 this past summer. I thought for $2 it would be good for getting use to using and sharpen hand tools again, and get away from all the noise of my power tools. I thought if I mess it up it is only $2. For me it is just not fun using power tools after all the years I had to use them on the job. But I still enjoy working wood. So now I am slowly replacing the Power with good “Old Fashion” hand tools. Now I can relax listen to my music as I wo...
Rest of the plane is now done. Now comes the rear handle. Last seen, it had a pair of extra brass screws in it’s top, and a crack near the bottom Tried to glue the larger crack back together with a Locktite CA glue. Didn’t look like it should. The top was missing a “horn” and had two screws holding what was left. Rumaged around in the “Spares” box. The box where the frog’s yokes were found. A handle was in there about the same si...
Got a Stanley #26 jack plane in the mail. $15 + FREE shipping. Opened the box and found.. A mess. Body was way too thin. Rust everywhere, And a few other problems Like a tote with THREE brass screws and a break near the bottom. Tote will serve as a “model” for a newer one. Body was not only too thin up by the toe, but it was thicker at the heel, by about 1/2”. Got all the parts apart, and started to clean them up. The frog had a problem. The yo...
I finally got my Hybrid Woodworkers Bench mobile and ready to go. I found some different castors from Peachtree though their email specials. Told myself “gonna get this puppy runnin around my shop!” As those who follow some of my ramblings know I had put some castors with a stem into the legs of my bench but even though I found star nuts to fit the shafts and re threaded the star nuts, the stem was not long enough and the forces from the bench weight caused it to wobble. a qui...
So I traded a .270 weatherby and 300$ for an old rockwell unisaw that was just refurbished by its previous owner. I got it dialed in when I discovered the top was warped when I went to cut some tenons to test it out. Needless to say, this was a big problem. A machine shop wanted 400$ to surface grind .010 off, but even then the heat could still warp it. There were also no shop with a Blanchard grinder from laffayette to houma to New Orleans with the capacity to do it, that were willing...
- My Journey As A Creative Designer - Woodworking and Beyond - 1780 parts
- Extremely Average - 324 parts
- A journey into the workshop. - 110 parts
- Workshop Development - 107 parts
- Toy costruction - 105 parts
- Just for Fun... - 98 parts
- Daily Update - 87 parts
- Life as an Amateur Woodworker - 81 parts
- "Hobbit Holes in MyWorld" --by RusticWoodArt - 77 parts
- As The Lathe Turns - 76 parts
- Sheila Landry (scrollgirl) - 1805 entries
- dbhost - 432 entries
- frank - 417 entries
- degoose - 397 entries
- Ecocandle - 325 entries
- MsDebbieP - 314 entries
- mafe - 307 entries
- Karson - 305 entries
- Martin Sojka - 296 entries
- William - 258 entries
- shipwright - 254 entries
- robscastle - 233 entries
- Betsy - 228 entries
- Dave Rutan - 221 entries
- stefang - 221 entries
- Stevinmarin - 212 entries
- Todd A. Clippinger - 207 entries
- Gary Fixler - 204 entries
- A Slice of Wood Workshop - 203 entries
- Smitty_Cabinetshop - 195 entries