I’ll see how this all comes together in 24-48 hours from now… I used many cuss words getting this together – and had to scream for help with the clamp positioning. You can never had enough clamps – as you can see I was reduced to using my crappy craftsman standby clamp. I don’t think the stretchers are going to hold well through time. They just “feel” weak. For other chairs, I might add more wood to them. Not sure yet. ..After the glue up...
Plenty of elbow grease went into this…. but my first chair is finally prepped and ready to assemble. I am going to let the pieces “rest” for the day. Only 5 more chairs, a table and a buffet to go (LOL). ....I learned that this set has a flaw in the design – nearly all of the leg posts that join onto the rails holding the seat area together are cracked. The mortise wall was simply too thin to the edge to sustain over the years. I am already starting the fixes on ...
It’s amazing how many problems can result when someone tries to fix something fast. And all this is on just one chair!!! . . . . .On the last image – not only was an extra screw hole added but the screw was put in straight onto the rail and whoever did it pierced the wood a bit on the other side as the screw was simply too long (AND too thick). I guess the most difficult part will be filling in the sections of oak that broke off. Over the last couple ...
To make a long story short, a dining room set that has been in our family since the early 70’s has come under my care. It’s all white oak and we know it’s at least 100 years old (but probably not more). Believed to have been made in New Brunswick. If the set was made around 1900 or so, what would you call the style …. Victorian Revival? One of the chairs is below. The upholstering is real leather. The original finish was the darkest mahogany color you see left ...
Hello friends! No I didn’t make a self-aware robot. But I did complete my #5 Bailey restoration complete with new Tote and Knob. I refinished the base, polished the brass, and installed the new Hock blade. I will give it a test drive tomorrow. Have a blessed day friends.
Powermatic Model 15 Planer refurb--vintage 1995 #1: Entry number 1 in a long series of boring tool upgrades....
I love to buy used tools, fix them up better than new, and use them in my woodworking business. This is my first attempt at a blog entry, so we will see how it goes. The “new” tool is a Powermatic 15 planer I picked up off C’s List for $500. A great deal according to my former Shop Nite buddy who states “hey the older tools are better anyway.” After extensive investigation (read the s/n plate) I found that the tool was manufactured in Taiwan during the olde...
Well, here is the other big tool purchase I made recently (spray can for scale). closer shot: This saw was posted on ebay, but there appeared to be some inaccurate information on it (model number never existed, blade size was incorrect, serial number was never produced, etc). I wasn’t able to get answers to my questions before bidding closed, so I passed on it. Apparently everyone else did too. I suspect it was a combination of a confusing description, making a big purchase w...
After plenty of time at the wire wheel the gunk and grease is finally gone.rden-a/4529304655/” title=”IMGP1627 by beardenandrew07, oAnd now it has all come together. Here is a before and after.And now it is time to get a new blade, and time to design the table for the iron beast.
Ok so after reading tomcat’s blog #5 tool gathering odessy I went down to my shop to look at a few older tools that I again pulled out of my parent’s shed. It seems there has been a good amount of woodworking going on in my family. (Wish I knew my father’s side of the family a little better.) Here is what I found. One of these saws has a Diston Medalion the other two both say Warrented Superior. These all have been hanging on my wall since I brought them home. I finally ...
Contractor Saw Refurbishing #1: Good news: I got it home. Bad news: Now I have to do something with it!
I found an old, well-worn Jet contractor saw locally through Craigslist. It came with a Delta Unifence, so even with some replacement parts and repairs factored in, I got it for a steal at $175. It was quite a job to horse it home by myself, but with the help of an appliance dolly I managed to get it out of its old basement and into my basement. I thought it might be fun for someone if I occasionally post updates here. And I certainly welcome all the tips and suggestions that anyone mig...
- My Journey As A Creative Designer - Woodworking and Beyond - 1736 parts
- Extremely Average - 324 parts
- Workshop Development - 107 parts
- A journey into the workshop. - 98 parts
- Just for Fun... - 97 parts
- Daily Update - 87 parts
- Life as an Amateur Woodworker - 78 parts
- "Hobbit Holes in MyWorld" --by RusticWoodArt - 77 parts
- As The Lathe Turns - 76 parts
- WoodWriting Haiku Thursday's --by RusticWoodArt - 74 parts
- Sheila Landry (scrollgirl) - 1761 entries
- frank - 417 entries
- dbhost - 410 entries
- degoose - 397 entries
- Ecocandle - 325 entries
- MsDebbieP - 314 entries
- Karson - 305 entries
- mafe - 303 entries
- Martin Sojka - 296 entries
- William - 258 entries
- shipwright - 239 entries
- Betsy - 228 entries
- robscastle - 215 entries
- stefang - 215 entries
- Stevinmarin - 212 entries
- Dave Rutan - 210 entries
- Todd A. Clippinger - 207 entries
- Gary Fixler - 204 entries
- Smitty_Cabinetshop - 193 entries
- Rustic - 190 entries