Well, now that we have our base painted and everything rust-free, let’s turn our attention to the hardware. On this plane, all of the hardware is steel – no brass at all. That makes the polishing a bit anti-climactic. It’s very satisfying to take an old, tarnished brass adjuster knob and polish it up so it looks shiny and new. Not so much with a knurled steel knob. I do steel and brass pretty much the same way though, just with different abrasives depending on the pie...
Here’s the top before any of this started. After dis-assembly of the top from the base, jointing the edges, re-gluing, re-attaching, scraping and re-re-re-finishing (thanks again, Andy!), this table got the fifth and final coat of 3-2-1 and is DONE. Now to find a place for it in the house, because it’s too nice to sit in the shop! Thanks for looking.
Now satisfied with how the first coat of japanning laid down, I needed to figure out how to get a better cure. Attempts to leave the plane out in direct sunlight on a hot summer day didn’t do quite a good enough job. Several websites had mentioned baking the plane, but there was no way I was going to use the kitchen stove—for one it was brand new this summer when we remodeled the kitchen and two, I would like to continue to sleep in the same bed as my wife, not the doghouse. ...
Several days away from the japanning project didn’t really help. There were too many times in those days that my mind returned to the problem and just wouldn’t leave it alone, but no solutions were forthcoming. Finally, it took walking out to the shop again, looking at everything on the bench and BAM . . . there it was! Remember this? The plane I used when testing the finish blends didn’t have any brush marks, and it was the same formula that I had first used tha...
I have a one-man handyman service, and a customer of mine just gave me an old cedar blanket chest (trunk?). It’s about 50 years old, and the lady just didn’t want it in her house anymore. So, I brought it home. She told me that it was cedar-lined, but I discovered that it’s actually solid 3/4” cedar. Made by Lane. It’s not very attractive as is, but I’m thinking about what I can do with it. I could just give it way, or I could break it apart and mak...
Today I surface ground the sides and sole of the body of the plane. I understand I will probably have to lap them again after I assemble and tension the plane, but this will get them perfectly square and leave minimal stock for hand lapping. Here is a shot of grinding the side: This is one thing that was bothering me most of the weekend. There is this chip at the front of the rib and I wasn’t sure what to do with it. I could make a repair piece and braze it on as before or I can ju...
I came across an antique shop that had some old tools while on vacation. After strolling through I picked up a few planes and a saw vise (more to come on them later). Once I got home I decided I should start on the Stanley #31 first. I did some research to see exactly how old this plane was but couldn’t narrow it down as well as I would have liked to. I found that these planes were made between 1870-1943 and that my particular plane was made before 1915 because the frog was screwe...
My Shaker Hall Table that I had placed against the wall in the kitchen became a final resting spot for some items. The ones that caused the problem was a Sheave of Wheat which had been died dark brown., a fish bowl, a wicker basket that had honey and syrup placed in it. The table top looked like this. The gray stains were the syrup and it had gone below th surface because water wouldn’t clean it up. I was contemplating running it through the plainer again, but I opted ...
I finished the knife rack and delivered it to Aikiko. She was very appreciative and felt it would compliment her new maple kitchen. I hope she gets another several decades of use out of this one. Also took delivery of a Homack ball bearing double tool box that I traded for some bathroom repair work back in February. This resulted in 1/2 day of sorting and repositioning hand tools. I even have a few empty drawers! One benefit was that I located a few things I thought were missing; including...
So the first piece was really a “how does the trigger works” more than anything. some positions felt a bit awkward, and others’ were a mystery but all in all, a good learning experience. as I posted earlier, the 1st piece is in front, while the original piece is in the back: Lesson Learnt: With the second piece, I followed some given advice added to the already advice I’ve been collecting online for the past who knows how long from people like Charles Neil...
- My Journey As A Creative Designer - Woodworking and Beyond - 1807 parts
- Extremely Average - 324 parts
- Toy costruction - 127 parts
- A journey into the workshop. - 112 parts
- Workshop Development - 107 parts
- Just for Fun... - 98 parts
- Woodworking on a Half-Shoestring - 90 parts
- Daily Update - 87 parts
- Life as an Amateur Woodworker - 81 parts
- "Hobbit Holes in MyWorld" --by RusticWoodArt - 77 parts
- Sheila Landry (scrollgirl) - 1832 entries
- dbhost - 439 entries
- frank - 417 entries
- degoose - 397 entries
- Ecocandle - 325 entries
- mafe - 319 entries
- MsDebbieP - 314 entries
- Karson - 305 entries
- Martin Sojka - 296 entries
- William - 258 entries
- shipwright - 254 entries
- robscastle - 245 entries
- Dave Rutan - 245 entries
- Betsy - 228 entries
- stefang - 221 entries
- A Slice of Wood Workshop - 213 entries
- Stevinmarin - 212 entries
- Todd A. Clippinger - 207 entries
- Gary Fixler - 204 entries
- bandit571 - 201 entries