A few years ago I saw plans for a clock that I rally liked and have wanted to build ever since. So, about a month ago, I decided that it was finally time to do it. Needing Christmas presents for my four adult kids and their families, I decided to make 5, one for each kid and one for myself. So, even though I was already into two projects, (two more commissioned caskets) and I don’t really like to do different projects concurrently, I started on them. Being big on symbolism and wanted t...
So for the box itself, this is the basic sketchup model for what I’m going for. I am trying to model this after one of “RogerBean’s” projects, hi maple burl box. However I am adding a drawer into it so it will differentiate a little bit from his process. The hardest part will be the two meet ups of two curves that occurs on the front of the box. After some thinking, I came up with some basic dimensions and my thought process for how I was going to be able to add in...
A few days ago, our neighbors asked to make a simple trellis for their passion flower vine which had collapsed under its weight. I’ve come up with what I think would fit their backyard. It is 6’6” tall, 38” wide. Today I finished cutting the parts with notches and dados for joinery and started gluing them with polyurethane glue. I want to use joinery and glue to avoid a lot of screws as fasteners because the lattice is made of thin stock to keep the whole thing ligh...
Watching wood dry. Soon this will be turned into two California redwood dining tables.
Dropped by a local redwood lumber dealer yesterday for a can of exterior penetrating oil and while nosing around their yard checking the selection, came across a corner with figured boards. Wow! What a beauty! I guess so much wood passes through their hands that once in a while they find really rare patterns. I was told the price was $7-8 per foot; forgot to ask if the price was per linear foot or per bf—makes a big difference. All red, no knots, regular 2”×4”×12’...
My efforts to get a nice slab cut from this beast was met with failure, but it was not without a good effort. I took every opportunity to sneak out in the garage this week and work on the big cut to rip this redwood root down; even if for only 5 minutes. Every little bit of effort adds up and makes the task seem less monotonous. I had made good progress and loosing our DSL connection on Thursday gave me an unexpected excuse to duck out of work and get some garage time in. By Friday afte...
I’ve been on a bit of a project tear as of late. I finally got fed up with piling stuff in one corner of the garage only to move it to the other, then back again. After knocking together a couple of small coffee/lamp tables, I wanted to tackle last of the big stuff. that big stuff would be 1/3rd of a large redwood root I had purchased. Part 1 became a still in-process bench and, part 2 was sold in a semi-rough state (offsetting the entire purchase and then some). I could have t...
I’ve been chipping away at my stock of thrift store redwood (literally all purchased at a thrift store). I had two large left over pieces that I have been trying to sell, to no avail, on craigslist. The one slab is good for a small coffee table, has some nice figure and was surfaced flat on one side. Started at $120, worked down to $80 and had marginal interest but mostly from people wanting to offer $60. I couldn’t justify letting it go that cheap, especially since with min...
I’ve made good progress this week on the base for my coffee table. After splitting the larger chunk of wood down to size and doing some rough sanding, I decided to cobble together enough stuff for my router jig and set about getting ‘root’ side of this base leveled out. The router jig may not be the best tool for this procedure. I’ve seen guys work wonders with a steady hand and big chainsaw. But it does work well enough and it’s quieter than the chainsaw an...
I’ve decided to finish this in two stages. I still have to figure out the legs/support for the bench but felt there was value in getting a protective coat of finish on the piece. With the redwood being fairly soft, and this piece being so heavy I could already see imperfections being introduced just from moving this around during the sanding process. Also sand; sand everywhere. Given that this spent part of it’s life as driftwood, many of the nooks and crannies are filled wit...
- My Journey As A Scroll Saw Pattern Designer - 1582 parts
- Extremely Average - 324 parts
- Workshop Development - 107 parts
- Just for Fun... - 96 parts
- A journey into the workshop. - 89 parts
- Daily Update - 87 parts
- "Hobbit Holes in MyWorld" --by RusticWoodArt - 77 parts
- As The Lathe Turns - 76 parts
- WoodWriting Haiku Thursday's --by RusticWoodArt - 74 parts
- ScrollSaw Information and Resources - 68 parts
- Sheila Landry (scrollgirl) - 1607 entries
- frank - 417 entries
- degoose - 396 entries
- dbhost - 390 entries
- Ecocandle - 325 entries
- MsDebbieP - 314 entries
- Karson - 305 entries
- Martin Sojka - 296 entries
- mafe - 278 entries
- William - 258 entries
- Betsy - 221 entries
- shipwright - 213 entries
- Stevinmarin - 212 entries
- Gary Fixler - 204 entries
- Todd A. Clippinger - 199 entries
- stefang - 198 entries
- Rustic - 188 entries
- BritBoxmaker - 185 entries
- Chris Davis - 183 entries
- Smitty_Cabinetshop - 176 entries