Exciting Progress.. I am making some great progress on my closet project. I currently have the copper rods in a machine shop where the parts are being fabricated. The clients and I had talked about changing the lights to better illuminate the fine work that I have produced. While the metal work is being done I decided to go ahead and install the new lights. WOW! Man-OH-Man! Does it ever look fantastic! Here is the closet with the old lights: Here is the closet with the n...
Finished! Well it’s been a long journey and it did not end without one extra push. I finished installing the copper handles Monday by 11:30. There was a couple of scratches but I was certain I could buff them out. This is a skill that goes with the territory. I worked on the finish for the next six hours and I could not get the finish to blend. How to Remove a Scratch- After exhausting all other options this is what I resorted to today: Yes you are seeing it correctly...
Getting Closer… Well guys I can hardly stand it! I am getting so close to done on this project and yet there is so much to do. I just want to go home and be with my wife and my dogs so bad. This job has been a nail biter every step of the way. The more I get done, the more work I have at risk if I should screw up. A mistake could cost the equivalent of a good used car – NO KIDDING. If you want to do high-end work, the risk is high too. That is one factor most don’t...
Another Milestone I am pretty excited to share with you guys today’s progress. I got all of the handle pieces finished! Next I have some touch up on the doors and the final install. I am sure I will have a full day of technical sweating. I had to brush the pieces again on the wire wheel to brighten the finish. I then hung them from the ceiling and wiped them down thoroughly with acetone. This strips any oil from the surface. I sprayed them with an acrylic resin lacquer by Sh...
Share the Love This modern sofa table was built for donation to a charity fundraising auction. This slideshow was played to generate more interest in the table by highlighting the construction process. Generating more interest generates more money for the charity. The auction was a bit disappointing overall, but my table brought in the more money than anything else. Funds raised at the auction help support programs for people with developmental disabilities. The winning bidder ask...
It’s quickly becoming my favorite time of year. The gardens and farmers markets are overflowing with their bounty, almost everything is fresh and in season, the days are becoming comfortable – not yet crisp, but not too hot. Time to preserve and make preparations for the winter. The freezer down in the basement (shop) is almost completely stocked with goodness to keep me going well into next year! I promised “more about this later” during my shop tour... so here it...
I have received some correspondence lately asking about what I am doing right now in the shop. So, I thought I would post a little progress on my current commission piece. The people at the St. Anthony of Padua Church in Strong City, KS asked me to build a Hymn Number Stand to match the other pieces in the church I did earlier this year. Here is a list of the other projects that go with this commission that I have already completed, some have been posted as projects, while others haven...
—————————————— UPDATE 3-28-2012: MISSION CASKET BOOK & PLANS AVAILABLE:After Posting my Casket Stories and Photos on Lumberjocks, I have been overwhelmed by the response from readers. There is quite a long thread of folks wanting to build their own casket, or wanting to build one for a close friend or family member. There are many reasons a person would build their own casket, including saving money...
Today, Monday, I took photos of what I have accomplished on my Hymn Number Board that I am building for the St. Anthony Church in Strong City, KS. On one hand, it seems like I made a lot of progress since my last blog late last week, but when I look back over the photos tonight, I can see that the number of hours it takes me to do this tedious work is mounting. I started the project with the previous blog: http://lumberjocks.com/jocks/decoustudio/blog/1508 Also, since I had enough in...
This week, I’ve been finishing up the Hymn Number Board for the St. Anthony Catholic church in Strong City, KS. Final assembly, glue, number plate holders, stain, finish, and gold-powder painting, and it is all finished now, ready for delivery to the church on Saturday. This is my Original Design, and it looks nothing like anything I have seen before, although it has design elements of things I have built in the past. I built it to match the other furnishings of the St. Anthony chu...
- My Journey As A Creative Designer - Woodworking and Beyond - 1742 parts
- Extremely Average - 324 parts
- Workshop Development - 107 parts
- A journey into the workshop. - 105 parts
- Just for Fun... - 97 parts
- Daily Update - 87 parts
- Life as an Amateur Woodworker - 79 parts
- "Hobbit Holes in MyWorld" --by RusticWoodArt - 77 parts
- As The Lathe Turns - 76 parts
- WoodWriting Haiku Thursday's --by RusticWoodArt - 74 parts
- Sheila Landry (scrollgirl) - 1767 entries
- dbhost - 418 entries
- frank - 417 entries
- degoose - 397 entries
- Ecocandle - 325 entries
- MsDebbieP - 314 entries
- Karson - 305 entries
- mafe - 304 entries
- Martin Sojka - 296 entries
- William - 258 entries
- shipwright - 246 entries
- Betsy - 228 entries
- stefang - 220 entries
- robscastle - 218 entries
- Dave Rutan - 213 entries
- Stevinmarin - 212 entries
- Todd A. Clippinger - 207 entries
- Gary Fixler - 204 entries
- Smitty_Cabinetshop - 193 entries
- A Slice of Wood Workshop - 190 entries