My 1 3/4” oval head #8’s came in last week and I got back on task. Soliciting help from 2 friends, we spent about 9 man hours cleaning off the old racks and installing the new ones. Using bees wax as a lubricant, we were able to drive the installation screws without having to pilot each of five mounting screws which sped up the process greatly and reduced the mess on the floor (a win-win as the saying goes). My concern with contrasting finish color, I believe, turned out to be much ado ab...
Hey All, So I am very new to woodworking. I decided recently to try my hand at some fine wood working after marrying into a world famous boat building family who as master craftsmen when it comes to working with wood. I wanted to start this blog to journal my journey from basically a nobody in the grand scheme of woodworking, into hopefully a skilled woodworker who creates things that people can be in awe of one day. I have no idea how long that will take (most likely a lifetime!!!) but...
I’m starting a project to build a giant oak table (along with a few other things) from a red oak tree from my Grandfather’s old place Here is the specimen. It is about 70’ tall and 37” in diameter at the base It only took about 20 minutes to get it down. I used the bore cut method. It is currently in 4 10’ sections and I have milled the first section into some decent sized beams that I will later resaw on a bandsaw. I’m not without some help t...
This one was an exercise in lamination. 6 primary species of wood – western maple, red oak, sapele, cherry, birch and walnut. Two pieces of each species, each piece at a different thickness, and some random veneer thrown in between each primary wood piece, for a total of 23 layers. The sole is white oak. Glue is urea formaldehyde, so I could glue it up in one go. Didn’t think I could get it done with PVA. The bed is 45 degrees, and was my first double iron plane. I someho...
What would you do with this? Its all 1.5×5.5 red oak. I don’t really know what it was – it was sitting in the garbage pile in front of a church in Toronto. There is one hinge mortise so it may be a thick jamb? What should I do with it? Long pieces are 75”
My fiancee has been wanting a way to elegantly display her horse ribbons in the house. One idea she liked was the Ribbon box seen here http://www.mcguinnfarms.com/office_p1.html# This in all honesty is just a short stool with a box on it. I wanted to make something more useful but serving the same purpose. So my idea is an end table with glass sides framed in wood with a glass top also framed in wood. I decided on Red Oak for all the wood including the legs and the frames. I picked up 2×...
Ok folks we have some momentum going here and have made some real progress lately. We’re getting close to the end. So the idea is, flatten the top, glue and bolt on the tool tray, then plane to tray to be coplanar with the top. First I chamfer the dog holes, I do this again after flattening. I figure I want to avoid spelching when planning the top by chamfering them beforehand. I’m not ashamed to say I used a routah (Norm accent) Patched a couple of holes from when this top wa...
Hello again folks. Here I am in the home stretch. I say that but I know there are still a bunch of details left. I decided to go with drawbored Mortise and Tenons with no glue. The splayed legs on this bench make it incredibly stable as is so it’s not necessary at all. I also won’t have to worry about glue not curing well in the cold weather. The idea of not watching the clock during glue up is pretty nice to, especially on an assembly his size. The hole stress free thing is true in the...
So after making my wooden bracelets, I decided I wanted to use the same method to make a watch. Due to the materials I had at hand, I ended up using a different method to make the watch than I did the bracelets. 1. Draw up a pattern. (I used CORELDraw to design mine) 2. Select Material – I went with 1/4” thick red oak flatstock. 3. Trace or use spray adhesive to attach pattern to blanks. 4. Drill link holes (I clamped mine between 2 1/2” pieces to make easier to...
So the box that I was working on was completed, hinges and latch attached, finish applied… But this one is for my Sweetheart, and a small jewelry box besides, so it needs some trays…I had some left-over wood from the box construction so I decided to use it for the sides of the trays… I cut some quick dadoes in the sides, cut them to height, and then joined them… The New Band Saw made short work of sawing a 3/8” piece of Maple in half for the two tray bot...
- My Journey As A Scroll Saw Pattern Designer - 1597 parts
- Extremely Average - 324 parts
- Workshop Development - 107 parts
- Just for Fun... - 96 parts
- A journey into the workshop. - 89 parts
- Daily Update - 87 parts
- "Hobbit Holes in MyWorld" --by RusticWoodArt - 77 parts
- As The Lathe Turns - 76 parts
- WoodWriting Haiku Thursday's --by RusticWoodArt - 74 parts
- ScrollSaw Information and Resources - 68 parts
- Sheila Landry (scrollgirl) - 1622 entries
- frank - 417 entries
- degoose - 397 entries
- dbhost - 390 entries
- Ecocandle - 325 entries
- MsDebbieP - 314 entries
- Karson - 305 entries
- Martin Sojka - 296 entries
- mafe - 279 entries
- William - 258 entries
- Betsy - 221 entries
- shipwright - 218 entries
- Stevinmarin - 212 entries
- Gary Fixler - 204 entries
- Todd A. Clippinger - 199 entries
- stefang - 198 entries
- Rustic - 188 entries
- BritBoxmaker - 187 entries
- Chris Davis - 183 entries
- Smitty_Cabinetshop - 176 entries