Took a break from working this weekend—cool project at my day job—to go to a series of demos/classes at my ( local? ) Rockler Store in Tukwila, WA. I guess local is in the eyes of the beholder; Its about 50 miles away. I had put a reminder in my cellphone calendar several months ago, but only had it alert me “the day of” not the prior day. Fortunately I’m an early riser. Off I went. They had two great demos. Turning and Making Raised Panels. I was really ...
Well, here it is almost 10 months since I’ve done any work on this project. It’s mostly because I was taking a night class in preparation for the Nursing program this fall, and on top of it, my Uncle has introduced me to fly fishing which has occupied almost all of my free time in the spring and summer so far. ...Since these panels are solid wood, to account for movement, I finished the panels before gluing the case up so that none of the panels will have unfinished edges during t...
Began work on the upper doors of the Wall Hung towards the end of Episode 19 by creating a bead detail on the right door while telling you of a rebate needed at the left door. No pics cutting the rabbet, but the center stiles come together just fine. All four stiles for the upper doors were cut to rough length and grooved for floating panels ‘too long ago’ to remember… The rail boards were measured and marked for their rough cuts; those are the pieces t...
I’ve bid on some panel raising planes but the prices always seem to be out of reach. I decided to convert a wood bodied plane I had restored a while ago. This is the plane I started with. I cut a groove on the side toward the raised panel and sharpened the blade on that side as well. I cut it on the table saw and finished it up with my new Veritas shoulder plane. I added a nicker to cut the line around the panel. I tried it without it and got some fur on softwood...
Had a couple blow outs while raising the panels but was able to patch them. will sand the joints perfectly flush in the morning.
Well fellow Jocks and Jockettes, I am slowly approaching the completion of my Granddaughter’s blanket chest. This weekend I managed to cut the lid to size, put a 3/4” round over on the top edges, apply two coats of shellac and numerous coats of General Finishes “Java” and “Georgian Cheery” Gel Coat. I still need to do some touch up work, rub it out and apply 2 or 3 coats of GF poly seal coat. However, before that happens I have to install the hardware...
It was a chilly 45 degrees here this morning, but I braved the chill, cleaned up the rabbets with my old #78 and dry fit the chest. Here is a look at the front Viewed from the front left Viewed from the back right Still need to trim a couple of rail tenons, but after that, its off to building the lid. Have a great day and thanks for visiting. Bruce (AKA FLWoodRAT)
- My Journey As A Creative Designer - Woodworking and Beyond - 1742 parts
- Extremely Average - 324 parts
- Workshop Development - 107 parts
- A journey into the workshop. - 105 parts
- Just for Fun... - 97 parts
- Daily Update - 87 parts
- Life as an Amateur Woodworker - 79 parts
- "Hobbit Holes in MyWorld" --by RusticWoodArt - 77 parts
- As The Lathe Turns - 76 parts
- WoodWriting Haiku Thursday's --by RusticWoodArt - 74 parts
- Sheila Landry (scrollgirl) - 1767 entries
- dbhost - 418 entries
- frank - 417 entries
- degoose - 397 entries
- Ecocandle - 325 entries
- MsDebbieP - 314 entries
- Karson - 305 entries
- mafe - 304 entries
- Martin Sojka - 296 entries
- William - 258 entries
- shipwright - 245 entries
- Betsy - 228 entries
- stefang - 220 entries
- robscastle - 218 entries
- Dave Rutan - 213 entries
- Stevinmarin - 212 entries
- Todd A. Clippinger - 207 entries
- Gary Fixler - 204 entries
- Smitty_Cabinetshop - 193 entries
- A Slice of Wood Workshop - 190 entries