In this episode I take you step by step through the building of the frame and panel back. We cover setting up the rail and stile router bits, sizing the panels, and cleaning it all up. http://www.justsquareenough.com/2014/06/walnut-hall-tree-part-3.html
Walnut Headboard Build A quick project that is needed but is also a nice mental diversion from the daily grind. Material pulled from inventory is (very) rough cut ‘wormy walnut’ sapwood that isn’t good for much, but is something around 5/4 thick and is long enough (and wide enough) to do the job before me. Using this for the rails, top and bottom. I’ll joint one edge, work up the face, then rip the piece before deciding on what to do with any design element. ...
Twin-Sized Bed With Pull-Out Desk, Closet, and Dresser #7: Mini-Closet Part 2: shelves, doors, access ladder
Before making the doors, I bought a rail-and-stile router bit set. I didn’t it when I build the first bed unit because the doors for that first project were simple painted panels. After cutting a some test pieces to get a handle on how to adjust the router, cutting out the pieces for the doors was a piece of cake. However, let me say that these are the scariest router bits I’ve ever used. There’s just something about a rapidly spinning hunk of steel that says, “you...
Looks like I went the slow route on my recent (and first) frame and panel doors! Might as well get an autosander, too.
Here’s my most boring time-lapse yet – sanding up the cabinet doors to flush the rails and stiles, and prepare it for finishing. Speaking of… something I’d heard whispered around here a few times came to mind the other day while trying to get extremely gummy stickers off the maple I used in this project: mineral spirits. It says right on the can “for cleaning surfaces in preparation for painting.” I wiped some on, and just like goop-off, the sticker goo wip...
When we last left off, I was about to glue up the first cabinet door. Here it is clamped and drying: Here’s a detail (the wet marks at the left are just from wiping out glue – they dried up and disappeared): And because time-lapse videos are so fun, here’s the glue-up of the second door: And now the finished doors. Well… finished gluing together. Now there’s still sanding and coats of whatever I decide to use. I’ve been thinking of de...
For the doors, I had a look through my stock piles, and this board, a 1/4”x8”x4’ tulip poplar plank – picked up at Home Depot months ago simply because it was so unusually pretty – really spoke to me. The picture makes things a lot more yellow than they are in real life. It’s loaded with purples (which will probably fade in time to brown), browns, greens, yellows, and lots of gradients. From those dimensions, I built a Sketchup model of the doors ove...
- My Journey As A Creative Designer - Woodworking and Beyond - 1742 parts
- Extremely Average - 324 parts
- A journey into the workshop. - 107 parts
- Workshop Development - 107 parts
- Just for Fun... - 97 parts
- Daily Update - 87 parts
- Life as an Amateur Woodworker - 79 parts
- "Hobbit Holes in MyWorld" --by RusticWoodArt - 77 parts
- As The Lathe Turns - 76 parts
- WoodWriting Haiku Thursday's --by RusticWoodArt - 74 parts
- Sheila Landry (scrollgirl) - 1767 entries
- dbhost - 420 entries
- frank - 417 entries
- degoose - 397 entries
- Ecocandle - 325 entries
- MsDebbieP - 314 entries
- Karson - 305 entries
- mafe - 304 entries
- Martin Sojka - 296 entries
- William - 258 entries
- shipwright - 246 entries
- Betsy - 228 entries
- stefang - 220 entries
- robscastle - 218 entries
- Dave Rutan - 214 entries
- Stevinmarin - 212 entries
- Todd A. Clippinger - 207 entries
- Gary Fixler - 204 entries
- Smitty_Cabinetshop - 194 entries
- A Slice of Wood Workshop - 190 entries