Continuing to work up the saw I got the next big chunk of work done, the motor and the motor carriage. I followed pretty much the same process I used while doing the base. Like I said before, this saw is in great working shape and had been used daily by the gentleman that had it before. I both the motor bearings and track bearings had already been replaced. They were in good shape so all I needed to do was give them a thorough cleaning. I also hand painted the embossed DeWalt logo ‘k...
OK here is the carriage bearings cleaned up and put back togetherI soaked the carriage bearings in a mixture of WD-40 and mineral spirits for about four hours, took them out scrubed them up with some liquid wrench, Got them spinning real good, and put a few drops of three in one oil on them, there is no play in the bearings they are fine shape, so I’m not going to replace them. Motor ready for new bearings Okay people. Here , She is !!!!! The Mean Green Machine Getting her wired up.
I found this little gem on craigslist, came with stand 70 bucks, called the ,guy picked it up the same day,This is only a 20 min. drive one wayAlthough it was a little rough getting their, here is what happened. I don’t use my trailer much, so I had to get it out (well it lives outside) get ready to go, I couldn’t get the lights working right, they get corroded setting outside, and had to be replaced every so often. Sooo !!!I grabbed a coupon from harbor freight for some stick on ma...
Hello everyone, I like to write and now that I am laid up from back surgery for a few weeks I figured I would take the opportunity to create a few blog posts and share some of what I have learned with others that may be new (or even experienced) to woodworking. Like most folks these days I own a great 10” miter saw that I used for crosscuts, but I didn’t own a sliding compound miter saw, it wasn’t until after I got the miter saw that I realized that I was limited to ab...
Finally, I’ve pulled the photos from my camera. I neglected to photograph it as I built it, but here it is in finished form. It gives me 8’ of stop range for precisely measured crosscuts. I can use it for through cuts as well as crosscut dados. The extension table top and fence are made of a partial sheet of 18mm (3/4”) oak veneer plywood that I’ve had laying around for 10 years or so. The legs are of ordinary 2×4 stud material. There is no finish on it...
I decided to tackle everything in sections because I have limited space and can’t have everything spread out all of the time. So the first thing I tackled was the base. Everything was disassembled. Rust remover was used on the legs and base. After this a wire wheel cleaned everything up and I was back to bare metal. Everything was primed with Rustoleum Clean Metal Primer which prevents rusting, then painted with Rustoleum Smoke Grey. Originally the plan was to replace all the bolt...
I have been inspired by web findings on Lumberjocks and elsewhere to restore a Dewalt Radial Arm Saw (GS). Currently, I don’t have a real wood shop because I am in college and all of my woodworking was done at home (in my dads workshop). Although I do have the necessities, as far as tools go, I don’t have the right tool-set for woodworking. So fixing up this old saw is the closest to woodworking I can get. It also gives me a chance to ignore homework! This saw is in great worki...
How does a dog get the LAST bit of water out of his bowl ? With a half-lap :-) Spent too much time figuring out how to get Hurricane Walter to spew less dust, or—at least—how I could capture the dust he spews. Shroud seemed like the way to go. So …. with leftover plywood from the construction of the ol’ ChupaCaja, I made me a dust collection box. ID is about 8” wide x 8” deep x 8” tall. The joinery is (IS it called this ?) half-lap (...
Got a call, late this morning, from Ye Olde Motor Shoppe. The RAS motor is ready. .......................[clears throat] WOO-HOO !!!!....................... Installed it. Spliced the new mil-spec (not really, but it’s a beefy boy !) toggle switch into the two power cords. Locked and loaded the blade and stiffener. Put on its overcoat (the blade shroud), and … despite ALL my efforts and hard work …. It runs ! Yes, I DID do a test cut, after making th...
Well, Neil has been making such good progress on his blog, it inspired me to get some work done. His work is here (but seriously Neil, these should be in blogs so I don’t miss em’ (-: )part 1part 2part 3part 4 So my plan was to build a Mr Sawdust table. The problem is that the instructions to size the table require you to measure the travel in the arm. Since my saw was 80% disassembled, I figured a change of plans was in order. One of the few problems with my old saw was t...
- My Journey As A Scroll Saw Pattern Designer - 1261 parts
- Extremely Average - 324 parts
- Workshop Development - 94 parts
- A journey into the workshop. - 87 parts
- Daily Update - 87 parts
- Just for Fun... - 82 parts
- "Hobbit Holes in MyWorld" --by RusticWoodArt - 77 parts
- WoodWriting Haiku Thursday's --by RusticWoodArt - 74 parts
- As The Lathe Turns - 73 parts
- The Craftsman's Path - 67 parts
- Sheila Landry (scrollgirl) - 1283 entries
- frank - 417 entries
- degoose - 388 entries
- dbhost - 367 entries
- Ecocandle - 325 entries
- MsDebbieP - 311 entries
- Karson - 301 entries
- Martin Sojka - 297 entries
- William - 255 entries
- Betsy - 221 entries
- mafe - 216 entries
- Stevinmarin - 212 entries
- Gary Fixler - 204 entries
- Todd A. Clippinger - 187 entries
- Chris Davis - 183 entries
- Rustic - 183 entries
- shipwright - 168 entries
- PurpLev - 163 entries
- BritBoxmaker - 159 entries
- stefang - 148 entries