Sometimes it can be difficult to recall the steps on takes and where I start and stop on this blog. I also tend to switch steps around sometimes depending on how the project is going. My next step after the first coat of poly on the lids and sides was to flip the box, put 2 coats of poly on, sanding with 400 grit paper in between coats and applying my label. I haven’t invested in a branding iron yet so my solution is to use double sided carpet tape and a business card. I will find...
It’s that time of year once again. The 2nd Annual Whirligig Wars event is approaching! Woodworkers around the globe are beginning to construct their whimsical whirligigs with the hope of winning one of the great prizes this year. Whirligig Wars came to life last year when woodworkers across the globe battled it out and waged a war in wood. Due to it’s success Whirligig Wars has gained recognition from woodworkers and woodworking enthusiasts across the globe. In the Summer...
Here is a sneak peak before I post the finished project. I want to thank everyone once again for joining me as I made these boxes. They will have more meaning for my wife and daughter than I can share here. They represent a once in a life time opportunity that they spent together. It is said that swimming with dolphins is one of the most healing things you can do for the spirit. I agree with this, but we cannot all swim with dolphins, so remember that making something for those you love...
I’m in the market now for a dust collector. Being married with 2 kids there really isn’t a lot of money I can budget for this at this time. I’ve read the reviews on the Harbor Freight dust collector but I’m wondering If I could get some woodworkers perspective that have this unit. How is it? Does it work well? And is it ok to run pvc or gutter sewerage pipe instead of the metal stove type of piping???? Any info on this topic from all LJ’s would be great.
They say that there’s nothing like practise to make you better at a skill. My cousin’s wedding is in June, and I decided in my new wood working glory to make a wedding present for them. After consulting my wife, we decided that building a clock would be a nice gift. So I spent some time searching the project archive here on LJ’s, and around the web. Saving pictures to the hard drive so that I could go back and forth to choose without having to bookmark the various pages t...
Howdy, I’m redoing the tiniest of tiny bathrooms. One entire wall is occupied by the tub. The other wall is taken up by the vanity and one of those gigantic mirrors. In between those small walls is the throne. If you are seated at the throne, there is just enough room to open the door. Yep… Tiny! I started on the countertop simply because I already knew exactly how I wanted it. Here are a few work in progress shots. I have already received some outstandi...
I made some good progress today and it looks like the next time I can spend a decent amount of time in the shop, I should have this thing assembled. I started today sanding the three brackets and the aprons in preparation for assembly. I noticed a decent sized dent in the face of one of the aprons and decided to try out the wet rag and iron method to raise the dent. I forgot to get pics, but it worked like a charm. As I was sanding one of the end brackets and looking at the inlay that h...
Well, I was looking at crib plans and photographs for inspiration over the last few days. I could not find anything I liked, until I found inspiration on this site. From http://lumberjocks.com/projects/30892. Thanks Scott Smith. I like the contrasting woods and the simple design. I then found a plan in Google sketchup with thicker rails and bars, which I like. I made up a cut list and made some design changes. I am thinking walnut and paduk, or maple and walnut/paduk/purple heart (if theyR...
After I got the purpleheart cut to size and smoothed up last night I started working on a rough board that will be the top and bottom. The wood was given to me by a friend who said he thought it was soft maple. My first clue was looking through the boards many were marked with HM. When I started squaring the board up with my jack plane I could hardly cut it. I finally moved to my #8 because it is so heavy and it did a good job of cutting the wood. I have it mostly squared now but ran out...
- My Journey As A Creative Designer - Woodworking and Beyond - 1828 parts
- Extremely Average - 324 parts
- Toy costruction - 131 parts
- A journey into the workshop. - 115 parts
- Workshop Development - 107 parts
- Just for Fun... - 98 parts
- Woodworking on a Half-Shoestring - 91 parts
- Daily Update - 87 parts
- Shop stuff - 86 parts
- Life as an Amateur Woodworker - 82 parts
- Sheila Landry (scrollgirl) - 1853 entries
- dbhost - 452 entries
- frank - 417 entries
- degoose - 398 entries
- Ecocandle - 325 entries
- mafe - 325 entries
- MsDebbieP - 314 entries
- Karson - 305 entries
- Martin Sojka - 296 entries
- Dave Rutan - 276 entries
- robscastle - 263 entries
- William - 258 entries
- shipwright - 258 entries
- A Slice of Wood Workshop - 233 entries
- bandit571 - 232 entries
- Betsy - 228 entries
- stefang - 221 entries
- Stevinmarin - 212 entries
- Todd A. Clippinger - 207 entries
- Gary Fixler - 204 entries