I start with the lid already sized for the box. This one is purpleheart. I know, it’s almost impossible to carve, but it’s what the customer ordered. So I find a way. Next is to design your inlay After the drawing is done, I cover it with scotch tape or box tape Then comes the mirror and xacto knife After my stencil is made I transfer it to my lid blank With my trusty chip carving knife, I carve in my design. Since purpleheart is so hard I chose to o...
After my previous post here, I got numerous feedback and great ideas from professionals on this site on how to optimize the cutlist diagram to make it useful for professional wood workers. This lead me to develop “Carpenter Cut” app for iPad/iPhone devices. It goes like this: Start with a sheet of plywood (e.g. 48×96), tell it the dimensions and quantity of each part you want to cut from it. Specify the kerf (size for your saw blade (0.125 is the default)), and indicate gr...
I use my table saw sled to square up the lid and cut it to size Then it’s on to the jointer where I size the width of the lids. I like to make mine about 1/16 smaller at this point. Final sanding should bring it down the rest of the way. I try to end up with about 1/16 gap all the way around.I have ripped scrap pine that just sit in the box and holds the lid in place. This will be need when I go to drill for lid pins. It also lets me see where the lid will sit. This time I felt...
So first I sanded up the bottom detail using a drum sander on my ancient drill press next I cut the dado for the bottom to set in. I don’t have a dado blade so I just make multiple passes on the table saw. After that is done, I move on to sand the inside of the box. Since it is nearly impossible to do after the box is together this is the perfect time to do it. Now it’s just a little glue and some tape. I have found that with boxes this small tape is more than enou...
I recently finished working on a cutting algorithm app for the iPad and iPhone called Smart Cutter, and wanted to share the app with every one hoping get some feedback from carpenters and wood workers. Smart Cutter finds the maximum number of small pieces cut from a larger sheet of paper with minimum scrap. It employs a state of the art algorithm to generate the maximum number of small pieces cut from a larger sheet of paper, wood, cloth or any other material, with minimum waste. Whether y...
You ain’t ever gonna keep me down. Lyric spotters please feel free to comment. I left you, last night, as I was hacking at the pattern board with a chisel. No, I’m not mad. I’ve done all the tests. It worked. I repaired the pattern. I re-placed the mask and all looks good. Re-taped the pattern I scored a knife line into the pattern,along the outside edge of the outer tape. In combination with a strip of Polycarbonate, which has a line scored on...
I’ve decided to make this one with wood from from my scrap bin and my ‘Ebony Bits Box’ - I won’t bore you with the details but after a lot of cutting and sticking, using Viscose CA, I had made the pattern (with a few little modifications). This was glued onto a backing of 1.5mm Birch Aeroply, using PVA, and thickness sanded to 5mm. Hand sanded down to 600 grit and a couple of coats of spray acrylic (satin finish) later this is the result. I have sto...
I was suppose to have this video done 2 weeks ago, but due to children illnesses and a long overdue vacation, it got delayed. Just finished it up today. I hope you enjoy and go to my webpage for past videos and well, just to visit. Thanks guys.
Well, I was looking at crib plans and photographs for inspiration over the last few days. I could not find anything I liked, until I found inspiration on this site. From http://lumberjocks.com/projects/30892. Thanks Scott Smith. I like the contrasting woods and the simple design. I then found a plan in Google sketchup with thicker rails and bars, which I like. I made up a cut list and made some design changes. I am thinking walnut and paduk, or maple and walnut/paduk/purple heart (if theyR...
In my never ending quest to make 250 end grain cutting boards, I find myself milling quite a bit of stock. Attempting to keep some sort of order in the manufacturing process. I have cut most the boards down to 1”- 3” strips anywhere from 2’-4’ long. I then glue like strips together. So far I have 6 of laminated boards. Later on, once I laminated all of my stock, I will begin the crosscutting and re-laminating process. Then all the boards will take a dip in Walnut oi...
- My Journey As A Creative Designer - Woodworking and Beyond - 1728 parts
- Extremely Average - 324 parts
- Workshop Development - 107 parts
- A journey into the workshop. - 98 parts
- Just for Fun... - 97 parts
- Daily Update - 87 parts
- "Hobbit Holes in MyWorld" --by RusticWoodArt - 77 parts
- Life as an Amateur Woodworker - 77 parts
- As The Lathe Turns - 76 parts
- WoodWriting Haiku Thursday's --by RusticWoodArt - 74 parts
- Sheila Landry (scrollgirl) - 1753 entries
- frank - 417 entries
- dbhost - 410 entries
- degoose - 397 entries
- Ecocandle - 325 entries
- MsDebbieP - 314 entries
- Karson - 305 entries
- mafe - 301 entries
- Martin Sojka - 296 entries
- William - 258 entries
- shipwright - 237 entries
- Betsy - 228 entries
- stefang - 213 entries
- Stevinmarin - 212 entries
- robscastle - 207 entries
- Todd A. Clippinger - 207 entries
- Dave Rutan - 206 entries
- Gary Fixler - 204 entries
- Smitty_Cabinetshop - 193 entries
- Rustic - 190 entries