I cut all of the parts for the bases over the last couple of weeks, mortise and tenoned all of the rails and legs and rails, and assembled the bases. Each table used a custom jig for cutting the tapers on the table saw. My hope is to use these again for another commissioned project. They handle 26 1/4” and 28 1/4” legs. Each taper starts 1” below the edge of the rails, ending to a 7/8” taper at the ends. The sapele really planes well with a sharp low-angle blade....
After looking at SPalm’s step cutting board blog, I figured that I would have to try my hand at making a double step board. I found some cherry, maple and purple heart from prior projects I followed the instructions to but the pieces: After glue up and cutting the two sections, I knew I wouldn’t have enough, so I set my sights a little lower.I had enough of the triangles to make a hexagon. I really need to rethink the clamping process before I start the next one, and al...
A New Technique When I first designed the theater, I knew it needed something in the top arched panel. To me, the most natural thing would be the traditional comedy/tragedy masks. Although I’ve done a number of inlays in the past, it seemed like this called for something more dimensional, like a carving. Unfortunately, the last time I did any wood carving, we called it “whittling” and used it to make walking sticks and toothpicks at Boy Scout camp. I simply don’t...
Recently when working with some purple heart wood, my partner noticed something unusual. (Maybe it was not so unusual, but it was to us) In choosing a piece of wood for his projects, he noticed that some of the purple heart looked more purple and other areas of it looked more brownish. He was choosing the piece to make some small overlay pieces on his new ornament patterns and thought the purple color would be suitable. In his observations, he saw that one edge in particular was quite ...
Well, I been hanging around here at Lumber Jocks for going on a year now. I have learned so much from so many, and can honestly say I owe a lot of what I know today to the sharing of knowledge here. So after attempting my latest “Exploration” into the wild world of woodworking I figured this would be a good a time as any for me to pass along a little blog on how I did my “Dreaded Inlays” ..... Long story short, I was hit up by a coworker asking me if I could build h...
Hello all. A little while back someone came up with a box that was 2 cubic inches in size. I looked up my old ‘Little Bess Ring box’ posting and found that to be approaching 3 cubic inches. Now there’s a challenge I thought. So was born the idea for Atom, a 1 cubic inch box. Here is the paper model--Its full size at 24mm on a side (just under 1”). It will have 2mm (5/64”) thick walls. The lid will be drop on. Now there is a tiny box. Here is a pic of my pro...
Well I finally decided to join the cutting board club and this project completes my membership requirements. Now I am waiting for one of you charter members to send me the secret handshake. :) I needed to come up with something for my wife since her birthday is coming up this weekend. It basically boiled down to building her something or taking her shopping for clothes. To tell the honest truth I would much rather be spending time in the shop rather than sitting in a chair while she sp...
Sometimes I am just like a child. I guess that age has nothing to do with maturity, does it? Here I was yesterday, doing what I was supposed to be doing (drawing) and my partner called that he got off of work early. By early, I mean it was about 2pm. He asked if I wanted to head to Bernie’s and re-saw that wood we got on Friday (I guess he is a child, too!) and it took me about half a second to answer YES! I have been thinking about all those beautiful wood pieces since we got ba...
Hello all. The first order of the day was to route the bottom pieces and the lipping slots in the inner sides OH! Problem. The lipping slots go right through the corner posts. I should have routed before I put these on. No matter there’s always the spare stock I always make. I cut the old posts off. Finish sanded and sealed the insides of all four sides and the top. As for the corner posts I made and glued new ones on. I made a bottom out of 3mm birch ply and glued ...
So 1st fallback reached yesterday. I have to border the pattern. For the pattern glue-ups I used a traditional glue, PVA. This is good for this purpose but if I had mitred all edges (and the top) the tiny 1mm squares at each corner might not have held on at all. Worse still is the possibility that they would chip off over time. So bordered it is. Using 7mm strips of Purpleheart I set out the patterns to give me an overall idea of what it would look like. I then labelled everything s...
- My Journey As A Scroll Saw Pattern Designer - 1190 parts
- Extremely Average - 324 parts
- A journey into the workshop. - 87 parts
- Daily Update - 87 parts
- Just for Fun... - 81 parts
- "Hobbit Holes in MyWorld" --by RusticWoodArt - 77 parts
- WoodWriting Haiku Thursday's --by RusticWoodArt - 74 parts
- The Craftsman's Path - 67 parts
- As The Lathe Turns - 67 parts
- Workshop Development - 65 parts
- Sheila Landry (scrollgirl) - 1212 entries
- frank - 417 entries
- degoose - 388 entries
- dbhost - 331 entries
- Ecocandle - 325 entries
- MsDebbieP - 300 entries
- Martin Sojka - 297 entries
- Karson - 293 entries
- William - 249 entries
- Betsy - 221 entries
- Stevinmarin - 212 entries
- mafe - 206 entries
- Gary Fixler - 204 entries
- Todd A. Clippinger - 187 entries
- Chris Davis - 183 entries
- Rustic - 183 entries
- PurpLev - 162 entries
- shipwright - 160 entries
- BritBoxmaker - 159 entries
- stefang - 145 entries