Hi guys ,, I had a request to make a tutorial with regards the endgrain Tumbling Block Design.First off,.., You need to decide the size of the blocks…. for this example I used 1” stock… Or something similar.. actually just over .. once dressed. Set the blade of the table saw to 60 degrees.. a bevel box makes this simpleI use the INCRA fence system so it is easy to rip bevels off side of the blade.Once the bevels are ripped measure the length of the bevel and move the f...
Today I sanded, I sliced, I diced and I shaped. I was not at home to Mr. Cockup. Today I’m fierce and to the strains of ‘Fearless’ off, Pink Floyd’s Meddle off I went. All this took just two hours.. First I sanded all the slices to 6.93mm then I glued them together (superglue, most precise and quickest) Then I shaped the triagle ends on the disc sander The I fulfilled my promise of yesterday and chopped them into little pieces Back to the...
Well, I been hanging around here at Lumber Jocks for going on a year now. I have learned so much from so many, and can honestly say I owe a lot of what I know today to the sharing of knowledge here. So after attempting my latest “Exploration” into the wild world of woodworking I figured this would be a good a time as any for me to pass along a little blog on how I did my “Dreaded Inlays” ..... Long story short, I was hit up by a coworker asking me if I could build h...
Hey everyone, It was suggested that I start a discussion on how to find and harvest burls. Please give your input also. I don’t deal with straight grain that often. I cut and sell burls for a living so here is what I know. It is illegal to harvest a burl without permission. of course if it is on your own property you can give yourself permission. What I do is put an ad on Craig’s list saying I want your burls. Most people don’t know what burls are. So you don’t get that many calls....
I’ve accepted the mission and the secretary has already dissavowed all knowledge of me (for all you MI fans).Armed with my plans and two sticks of wood (one Sycamore, 50mm square. One Purpleheart, slightly bigger) I enter the arena of ‘The Impossible’. I feel someone is watching me. Is it the ghost of the great M.C.Escher or has the medication worn off already? No its you lot. Quiet at the back. ThreeSpeed, the mad professor is about to start. Here is where we begin P...
Not a threat. A lyric from an early Pink Floyd album. But I am going to do it, to the blanks. There’s some trig. in this part of the blog. If you don’t know Trigonometry youll just have to trust me. First this is what came out of the glue-up. Now I’d pre thicknessed both the Sycamore and the purpleheart on the side which will be triangle shaped before gluing up so all I have to do now is thickness the other side, to 4mm. I do this by trimming the end off in the table ...
So 1st fallback reached yesterday. I have to border the pattern. For the pattern glue-ups I used a traditional glue, PVA. This is good for this purpose but if I had mitred all edges (and the top) the tiny 1mm squares at each corner might not have held on at all. Worse still is the possibility that they would chip off over time. So bordered it is. Using 7mm strips of Purpleheart I set out the patterns to give me an overall idea of what it would look like. I then labelled everything s...
This project is not technically finished so I will not post as a project..This part of the blog will deal with the cutting of arcs.I basically used one of the patron jigs I developed to cut the end curves for a Baguette Board…this pivots on the circle cutting jig. Cut two lengths of contrasting or complimentary timbers… I of course chose Purple Heart and Silver Ash…Silver Ash and Tasmanian Blackwood would have also been suitable… But if all you have is Walnut and Curl...
I started off with a rough sawn board of New Guinea Rosewood.. Ripped and dressed to size …5 inches by 3/4 inch…Cut the mitres on the sides on the Incra Mitre Express and then cut a groove top and bottom … the top got a bookmatched panel of ugly NGR with a fine stripe of Silver Ash down the middle.. the base was some really fine plywood…lolThis shot shows the box glued together and with the sliding dovetail spline slots cut… used the Kehoe Jig .. you can see my ...
Hello all. The first order of the day was to route the bottom pieces and the lipping slots in the inner sides OH! Problem. The lipping slots go right through the corner posts. I should have routed before I put these on. No matter there’s always the spare stock I always make. I cut the old posts off. Finish sanded and sealed the insides of all four sides and the top. As for the corner posts I made and glued new ones on. I made a bottom out of 3mm birch ply and glued ...
- My Journey As A Creative Designer - Woodworking and Beyond - 1795 parts
- Extremely Average - 324 parts
- Toy costruction - 116 parts
- A journey into the workshop. - 110 parts
- Workshop Development - 107 parts
- Just for Fun... - 98 parts
- Daily Update - 87 parts
- Woodworking on a Half-Shoestring - 82 parts
- Life as an Amateur Woodworker - 81 parts
- "Hobbit Holes in MyWorld" --by RusticWoodArt - 77 parts
- Sheila Landry (scrollgirl) - 1820 entries
- dbhost - 436 entries
- frank - 417 entries
- degoose - 397 entries
- Ecocandle - 325 entries
- MsDebbieP - 314 entries
- mafe - 313 entries
- Karson - 305 entries
- Martin Sojka - 296 entries
- William - 258 entries
- shipwright - 254 entries
- robscastle - 242 entries
- Dave Rutan - 232 entries
- Betsy - 228 entries
- stefang - 221 entries
- Stevinmarin - 212 entries
- A Slice of Wood Workshop - 211 entries
- Todd A. Clippinger - 207 entries
- Gary Fixler - 204 entries
- Smitty_Cabinetshop - 195 entries