Hey guys! Back from the mountains (alas, too soon). First this quickie blog post about what happens when you order a pen turning mandrel without owning a lathe. Being a cheap skate, and a long-time reuse-recycle-minded guy, I of course built myself a wee lathe with all recycled parts: motor from an old printer (or photocopier, can’t really remember, I dismantled so many of both…), pulleys and timing belt also from reclaimed hardware, so for the bearings (hidden in the block ...
These pawns I turned out of various pallet wood, deadfall, offcuts etc, the three on the right are out of african blackwood, once my final design is pleasing unto me I will turn a whole set. Each pawn becomes a little quicker. I turn them all on 3” faceplates but a chuck would be just as good. I didn’t bother to put a finish on most of them. I could probably have a game of chess just on prototypes alone! A work in progress may inspire others to try as well. I swapped out my 1.5...
Welcome to another installment of the Chess Corner! Today’s topic is turning rooks or aka castles.The large looking one on the left was a first try out of some sort of mahogany pallet scrap and after turning it round realized how open-grained it was, not a desirable trait when wanting to work with small details. So I found a more close-grained wood such as maple that I laminated out of offcuts from a local cabinet shop. This one “turned” out pretty good, pun intended! The la...
Well, after a little bit of tweeking, It looks to be working… (keeping my fingers crossed). This was just to be a proof of concept (prototype), but it seems to be working well enough that I’ll use it for the rest of the production and make a better one next time. Thanks to all for your suggestions. !(Working router trammel)! Sincerely, Tom
Well, here we go. I have been working on the design and preparation of this project for 3 years. The final prototype was just completed. This is my second prototype. The first one was a quick (that is a relative term) mock up to see if I had the size correct. I built this out of scrap 2×4s and screws. Pieces were only roughly shaped. After building this, we determined that it was about a half inch too tall. The second prototype was built as a prelude to actual construction....
Hi there welcome back for another installment of the chess corner. Today’s topic is turning bishops for a chess set. It’s very satisfying to be able to be in a position when creating your own chess set to put your own style on the pieces. For instance let’s look at a few bishops I cooked up in the chess corner. These look very close to a standard bishop except for the very top. Instead of the tiny little tip on most I flared it to give it a little bit of a different look bu...
This is my soap dispenser. There are many others like it but this one is mine. And once it’s empty there are a few goodies to look for inside the pumps of these things: The hard plastic balls are very nice and shiny (not as in this picture, I stuffed it in a hole in my tabletop so it wouldn’t move during the picture). I collect them for fun and maybe someday I will have enough to make a bracelet for my girlfriend ;) The stainless steel spring in these things is of...
The Journey to extreme chair making begins as Jalen chooses his wood and lays it out in anticipation. in preparation for an ambitious project and wanting to really know what he was doing jalen chose to make the more crucial parts of the chair out of poplar. The actual techniques and process will be covered with the start of the real chair.
Hey guys, This is a first attempt at making a homemade tablesaw for cutting thin material.I slapped this first prototype together in around two hours (hence the crappy Nokia pictures), mainly because it was freezing cold inside my shop and I had a hurt elbow and only the bandsaw to cut plywood strips (which lead to massive hand-planing of the cuts to straighten them – surprisingly easy on plywood with a well-honed plane blade). Anyway, here are a few shots of my latest hoax, all m...
I don’t normally do prototypes, but when your doing several beds you may want to work out the bugs before you get into mass producing the parts. It’s a prototype and a selling item. I haven’t really sold the job yet. I’m pretty sure I will and if I don’t, I’ll leave this on on the showroom floor as an example of my work. I always need more of my stuff in our showroom. This one will probably stay on the showroom floor. This is finished with a standard ...
- My Journey As A Scroll Saw Pattern Designer - 1063 parts
- Extremely Average - 325 parts
- Daily Update - 87 parts
- A journey into the workshop. - 85 parts
- "Hobbit Holes in MyWorld" --by RusticWoodArt - 77 parts
- Just for Fun... - 76 parts
- WoodWriting Haiku Thursday's --by RusticWoodArt - 74 parts
- The Craftsman's Path - 67 parts
- Workshop Development - 64 parts
- 52 Weeks - 52 parts
- Sheila Landry (scrollgirl) - 1085 entries
- frank - 417 entries
- degoose - 384 entries
- Ecocandle - 326 entries
- dbhost - 318 entries
- Martin Sojka - 294 entries
- Karson - 289 entries
- MsDebbieP - 285 entries
- Betsy - 221 entries
- William - 215 entries
- Gary Fixler - 204 entries
- Stevinmarin - 201 entries
- mafe - 188 entries
- Chris Davis - 183 entries
- Todd A. Clippinger - 183 entries
- Rustic - 182 entries
- PurpLev - 159 entries
- BritBoxmaker - 148 entries
- scottb - 144 entries
- kosta - 144 entries