I got the sled done and it works well. Used Aluminum bar stock (see earlier) to match the inconvenient Sears Craftsman miter slots. Had to put the runners out the front and back. This is a pretty decent solution to the track issue although the result is pretty tight.
I got the dial indicator mounted and it works good. A 10 mil movement isn’t much on the knob, but it’s pretty clear on the gauge. And I found when a mortise is off by as little as 20 mils it shows up on the joint if the pieces are the same thickness. Mortise 0.377: Two sides 0.177 and 0.180: That is 10x the accuracy I was getting by sighting it. Here’s the pudding… Nominal values:Thickness .750” Mortise .375” Cheeks .1875&...
My Journey As A Creative Designer - Woodworking and Beyond #353: Finishing Touches on the Polar Bear
Yesterday was one of those fun days of working. I spent most of the day putting the finishing touches on my Polar Bear Pull Toy. Sometimes, as with a project such as this, that is my favorite part of designing. All the gritty work is done and it is time to have fun and do all the little things that complete the project. I went to my favorite little store where I get a lot of the craft and jewelry supplies that I use. Actually it isn’t even a store in itself, it is a grocery store...
This feels like real progress! By the end of this blog, you’ll be able to see that this clock is actually coming together. When I stopped last time, I was waiting for the BLO to dry on the front frame. It dried. Now I need to apply shellac. I decided on clear to let the cherry darken and age on it own. Maybe on their 50th wedding anniversary the couple will pull out some old pictures and see how the tone has mellowed, just like them. Here’s a shot of the shellac being appli...
I’m not much of a writer but wanted to share my experiences with my new found passion Diamond Willow. I don’t have many tools or resources but have the willingness to learn as i go from my mistakes and work with what i have. So with that said here we go. This is a work in progress.My first attempt at a foot stool The tenons are carved by hand. I just drilled the proper sized mortise in a piece of scrap and kept testing the fit and carve some more till i got the right dep...
My Journey As A Creative Designer - Woodworking and Beyond #352: Rambling and Some Pictures for Dennis
There is something about polar animals that enchant me. I don’t know what it is. I have always looked at them as creatures of great beauty. It strikes me as odd because as a painter, I am quite fond of color. I love painting wildlife and big cats and playing with the shading and tones and making them look realistic. Most of the Arctic animals are various shades of white and grey. You would think that would bore me. However, I did once paint a snow leopard in greyscale and it was ...
The gooseneck mounting on the dial indicator is just way too painful. I need something that is flexible and doesn’t get in the way of the machine.. Here’s a picture of what I am thinking about doing except it’s mocked up with wood. I think I will get a piece of metal that is right angle, mount one end under the screw at the base and screw the dial indicator to the bracket. This will be a single piece of metal. It needs to be adjustable for different chisel sizes. Plum...
Although the body of the table needs to be narrowed down to 28” to fully match the ends all four boards have been glued and doweled together. I have a great deal of dislike for dowels but they were quicker, easier, and accurate enough. The four boards were jointed using my bailey no5, two sets of two boards were placed face to face and the matching edges jointed, drilled, doweled, and glued. The resulting two wider boards received the same treatment resulting in the wide center section....
The Front Frame is Finished (ala 3 “F’s). Here’s how I made the front frame and recovered from my disaster. I started by jointing the inside edges of the stiles flat and square with my #7 plane. The a little layout and I was off and running …no, I meant mortising. Chopping down and levering up the waste, I made a mortise. Checking to make sure I made a square mortise as I went along. As you know, the ends of the mortise are saved for last. Once the center is exc...
With the back panel released from pipe-clamp jail and kinda-sorta smoothed with a #4, time to get it ready for fitting to the back of the carcase. What I want to do is get this panel inset into a groove planed (yes, with the #48!) inside said carcase so it floats in place / can expand and contract its little heart out. The panel will be ‘tongued’ on all four sides, so in order to get the ‘un-tongued’ dimensions right I first had to clamp the carcase tight to get a ‘finished’ inside dimension ...
- My Journey As A Creative Designer - Woodworking and Beyond - 1730 parts
- Extremely Average - 324 parts
- Workshop Development - 107 parts
- A journey into the workshop. - 98 parts
- Just for Fun... - 97 parts
- Daily Update - 87 parts
- Life as an Amateur Woodworker - 78 parts
- "Hobbit Holes in MyWorld" --by RusticWoodArt - 77 parts
- As The Lathe Turns - 76 parts
- WoodWriting Haiku Thursday's --by RusticWoodArt - 74 parts
- Sheila Landry (scrollgirl) - 1755 entries
- frank - 417 entries
- dbhost - 410 entries
- degoose - 397 entries
- Ecocandle - 325 entries
- MsDebbieP - 314 entries
- Karson - 305 entries
- mafe - 303 entries
- Martin Sojka - 296 entries
- William - 258 entries
- shipwright - 238 entries
- Betsy - 228 entries
- stefang - 213 entries
- Stevinmarin - 212 entries
- robscastle - 207 entries
- Todd A. Clippinger - 207 entries
- Dave Rutan - 206 entries
- Gary Fixler - 204 entries
- Smitty_Cabinetshop - 193 entries
- Rustic - 190 entries