I finally got my Hybrid Woodworkers Bench mobile and ready to go. I found some different castors from Peachtree though their email specials. Told myself “gonna get this puppy runnin around my shop!” As those who follow some of my ramblings know I had put some castors with a stem into the legs of my bench but even though I found star nuts to fit the shafts and re threaded the star nuts, the stem was not long enough and the forces from the bench weight caused it to wobble. a qui...
I have been making one heck of a mess in the dungeon, lately. Seriously. But it’s a necessary mess, because I am slowly upcycling two pieces of old, beat-up furniture that had been in the dungeon for well over a decade into workbenches that will never win a beauty contest, but will surely be stout workhorses until their final day. I can only show you the one I am working on right now. The other one needs a new top. That will have to wait until this one is finished and I can store all th...
Further along now. Spalted maple accents around lid, hinge screw backings and rare earth magnet anchor spots done, insetting the hinges. Maybe tomorrow the finish will start to go on…..
The box walls and lid are going to have two layers The outside, Mondo (I still don’t know if thats a proper name) and the inside, Padauk. The layers are 3 mm thick. The legs and lid decoration will pass through the outer layer and only partially through the inner (in the case of the legs only). First thing to do is sand down the outside of the outer layer and inside of the inner layer to 400 grit and give them a coat of acrylic varnish. Whilst I don’t expect this ...
I have taken some long over due time off of work this week and am taking advantage of it as much as I can. Today I got busy on the frog, receiving plate and lever cap. Last week I had already finished adding the knob/tote screw posts and cut out and drilled the tote for this guy. Dug out a chunk of aluminum and started cutting… I REALLY need to consider a metal band saw lol… And with that done I had the “machined” base for the frog. Next w...
I decided that it was time to make something for me, and what better than a new Workbench, I have been making do, with the bench I made when living in an apartment, and had a micro workshop in a spare bedroom, now it was time for a man size bench. The pile of mahogany to the left of the saw horse leg is my bench (that on the right is still the Kiosko / Gazebo roof!) this arrived on the 19th. I then sorted the timber and cut the parts The planks on the left are the top at 2.5...
Here is the blog on how I made the new vise in pictures and a SKETCHUP model that you can download and play with .http://lumberjocks.com/projects/108195The SKETCHUP model was done by LUMBER PUNK /LUKE and he deserves a BIG Thank you from us for donating his time to create the model . https://3dwarehouse.sketchup.com/model.html?id=u3e3dad6a-12ff-45cf-b376-0cd8ca9af4a4Also a Big Thank you to Paul/Shipwright for the maquetry logo .Here is the video link .https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1vZLa3...
It is hard to believe it is December already! The autumn months are always my favorite, but it always seems that they pass by so quickly. Here in Nova Scotia we have had several days of dusting snow and lately it has been cool and grey. Winter is definitely coming.The beginning of the new month is also a significant day for me. My oldest child (Phil) has turned 31 today. It is hard to believe that it was that long ago when he was just a little guy. It seemed like in a blick of an eye he grew ...
So I traded a .270 weatherby and 300$ for an old rockwell unisaw that was just refurbished by its previous owner. I got it dialed in when I discovered the top was warped when I went to cut some tenons to test it out. Needless to say, this was a big problem. A machine shop wanted 400$ to surface grind .010 off, but even then the heat could still warp it. There were also no shop with a Blanchard grinder from laffayette to houma to New Orleans with the capacity to do it, that were willing...
Howdy, I’ve been working on my son’s desktop for a while now. I have a Christmas due date so I had to get a move on. The desk frame took me all weekend. That really surprised me. I imagine I could go a lot faster If I didn’t fly by the seat of my pants all the time. A plan might be helpful. Any how, I’m using rabbit joint joints for the first time and they came with a whole bundle of lessons. They didn’t come out perfect but I believe I can do better next t...
- My Journey As A Scroll Saw Pattern Designer - 1462 parts
- Extremely Average - 324 parts
- Workshop Development - 107 parts
- Just for Fun... - 93 parts
- A journey into the workshop. - 89 parts
- Daily Update - 87 parts
- "Hobbit Holes in MyWorld" --by RusticWoodArt - 77 parts
- As The Lathe Turns - 76 parts
- WoodWriting Haiku Thursday's --by RusticWoodArt - 74 parts
- The Craftsman's Path - 67 parts
- Sheila Landry (scrollgirl) - 1486 entries
- frank - 417 entries
- degoose - 394 entries
- dbhost - 390 entries
- Ecocandle - 325 entries
- MsDebbieP - 314 entries
- Karson - 305 entries
- Martin Sojka - 296 entries
- William - 258 entries
- mafe - 236 entries
- Betsy - 221 entries
- Stevinmarin - 212 entries
- Gary Fixler - 204 entries
- shipwright - 198 entries
- Todd A. Clippinger - 197 entries
- Rustic - 186 entries
- stefang - 185 entries
- Chris Davis - 183 entries
- BritBoxmaker - 176 entries
- PurpLev - 163 entries