Well had drywall to do for the weekend, kind of got behind on the Walnut Project. Last seen, I had a glue up going on… Jointed a pair of edges to book match them. Used a Jointer plane for that. A Stanley #7c works nicely. Got out a few clamps and the glue.. Two clamps under and a clamp over in-between. A piece of sandpaper was between the clamp and the glue. No stains that way. Let this sit a few days, until I could get back down there…. Removed the clamps toda...
In order for me to get my shop to where I want it, I first have to tear it apart. So that’s what I did today. In the midst of three projects I decided that I would finally rip the shop a new one in order to remodel it into a new better working shop. I moved probably 2 tons of wood today doing the dance I call the shop shuffle. I goes like this. First move that thing over there and then put it back, move it again with a little twirl and shake it all about. ;) The ...
Had a blast up at the Great Wolf Lodge this past weekend—as proof of our never-say-die, got to keep playing as long as we can attitude at the indoor water park hotel/resort, I offer a picture of my youngest the next day passed out in my recliner. This is as quiet as he as ever been outside of his crib in his entire life! The kids are, needless to say, pooped. I am too, but the clock is ticking—we’re well into November now and Christmas is looming on the horizon. I have plenty of time t...
This post contains a lot of images—I’ve posted some here, but for the rest, please visit my woodworking blog) Very productive nap time session today! First order of business was to take advantage of the 65 degree weather and paint the play surface for the top. We chose a primary blue to cover the MDF. The kids have plenty of the green Lego baseplate’s, so blue should compliment what they already have. The MDF took the paint in three thin coats that ate the entire can. Th...
This post is fairly image heavy—I’ll post a few here but to see all the images, please visit my woodworking blog) Accomplished a fair amount today. Before I got to work, I dusted off the base and the legs one final time and then primed the legs …and painted the base. It’s hard to tell, because I used white primer and white paint, but trust me, it looks nice in person. I put on two thin coats and used up almost a whole can of spray paint, but it sure does look ...
Today I cut up the main play area surface (MDF). I knew I wanted to prime the base, so figured I’d cut the MDF first and get the fine dust mostly out of the air before priming. I had to use the same layout methods (and again told myself I need a table saw) and spent precious time marking and clamping before making a few cuts, but in the end, got a perfectly cut plank of MDF that will fill almost all the space inside the upper box. On the left and right, I also cut out 4” wide “wings” that ...
Today was a pretty productive day in that I got all the lower parts of the table ready for finishing, but my final output didn’t look much different than yesterday. To start, I flipped the completed bottom frame over a piece of 1/2” plywood and traced the outline. I then broke out the circular saw and using a straight piece of poplar plank, figured out the blade offset and clamped the straight edge down. I placed this whole thing on top of a sheet of 1 1/2” thick (I think) foam insulation ...
First order of business today was to fix those tubafore supports in the table top. It was tedious, but easy. I clamped it to my bench, unscrewed the studs one at a time and using some clamps and a few select words, screwed them back into place to make sure they were flush with the bottom of the poplar frame boards. With that out of the way and off my mind, I turned to the bottom box (which is really nothing more than a glorified shelf and a place to attach the legs). Like it’s big brother ...
After letting the lumber acclimate for a week, I’m back in the shop, ready to work on the Lego Table. During the time I waited, I worked on other projects (The New Sawhorses, and Mallet 2.0). First order of business was to get the wood cut to length for the top and bottom boxes. I pulled out the miter saw station from hibernation and started cutting. Despite not being used for over a year, she worked just fine and in no time, I had my parts ready to go. I decided to use pocket hole scre...
The Big Project of 2015 I think I’m warmed up now. On to the big project (there’s still a few more in the works—more on those later—I’ll work on them as time permits while parts dry/cure, etc., on this one…)A little background info… So, our kids have taken over the dining room table as their personal Lego emporium. We have crates of the little plastic blocks stacked up, blocking access to the table. Come holiday time in a few weeks, the Legos will be relegated to the laundry room in exi...
- My Journey As A Scroll Saw Pattern Designer - 1661 parts
- Extremely Average - 324 parts
- Workshop Development - 107 parts
- Just for Fun... - 97 parts
- A journey into the workshop. - 89 parts
- Daily Update - 87 parts
- "Hobbit Holes in MyWorld" --by RusticWoodArt - 77 parts
- As The Lathe Turns - 76 parts
- WoodWriting Haiku Thursday's --by RusticWoodArt - 74 parts
- ScrollSaw Information and Resources - 68 parts
- Sheila Landry (scrollgirl) - 1686 entries
- frank - 417 entries
- dbhost - 400 entries
- degoose - 397 entries
- Ecocandle - 325 entries
- MsDebbieP - 314 entries
- Karson - 305 entries
- Martin Sojka - 296 entries
- mafe - 281 entries
- William - 258 entries
- shipwright - 229 entries
- Betsy - 226 entries
- Stevinmarin - 212 entries
- stefang - 209 entries
- Gary Fixler - 204 entries
- Todd A. Clippinger - 201 entries
- robscastle - 189 entries
- Rustic - 189 entries
- BritBoxmaker - 188 entries
- Chris Davis - 184 entries