This post is fairly image heavy—I’ll post a few here but to see all the images, please visit my woodworking blog) Accomplished a fair amount today. Before I got to work, I dusted off the base and the legs one final time and then primed the legs …and painted the base. It’s hard to tell, because I used white primer and white paint, but trust me, it looks nice in person. I put on two thin coats and used up almost a whole can of spray paint, but it sure does look ...
Today I cut up the main play area surface (MDF). I knew I wanted to prime the base, so figured I’d cut the MDF first and get the fine dust mostly out of the air before priming. I had to use the same layout methods (and again told myself I need a table saw) and spent precious time marking and clamping before making a few cuts, but in the end, got a perfectly cut plank of MDF that will fill almost all the space inside the upper box. On the left and right, I also cut out 4” wide “wings” that ...
Today was a pretty productive day in that I got all the lower parts of the table ready for finishing, but my final output didn’t look much different than yesterday. To start, I flipped the completed bottom frame over a piece of 1/2” plywood and traced the outline. I then broke out the circular saw and using a straight piece of poplar plank, figured out the blade offset and clamped the straight edge down. I placed this whole thing on top of a sheet of 1 1/2” thick (I think) foam insulation ...
First order of business today was to fix those tubafore supports in the table top. It was tedious, but easy. I clamped it to my bench, unscrewed the studs one at a time and using some clamps and a few select words, screwed them back into place to make sure they were flush with the bottom of the poplar frame boards. With that out of the way and off my mind, I turned to the bottom box (which is really nothing more than a glorified shelf and a place to attach the legs). Like it’s big brother ...
After letting the lumber acclimate for a week, I’m back in the shop, ready to work on the Lego Table. During the time I waited, I worked on other projects (The New Sawhorses, and Mallet 2.0). First order of business was to get the wood cut to length for the top and bottom boxes. I pulled out the miter saw station from hibernation and started cutting. Despite not being used for over a year, she worked just fine and in no time, I had my parts ready to go. I decided to use pocket hole scre...
The Big Project of 2015 I think I’m warmed up now. On to the big project (there’s still a few more in the works—more on those later—I’ll work on them as time permits while parts dry/cure, etc., on this one…)A little background info… So, our kids have taken over the dining room table as their personal Lego emporium. We have crates of the little plastic blocks stacked up, blocking access to the table. Come holiday time in a few weeks, the Legos will be relegated to the laundry room in exi...
It’s been a long time for me to post anything here on lumberjocks. I still look everyday to see the projects, and a lot of them have been incredible works of art. Which is one of the reasons I love being a member of this web site. This table has pushed me to my limits as far as craftsmanship I am completely exhausted and worn out. I feel like a athlete right now because I’ve been icing me knees and had to get a shot of cortisone to help me get moving again. Now I’m ont...
Well, I got four to mill down into …..something. Set up a plank on the bench, scibed a few lines. I wanted four pieces 3" wide, with whatever was left for other parts. I got four 18” long, and two @ 17” long. Two of the planks, including this one, are 5/4 stock. The other two are just 4/4 stuff. Had the circular saws in from the trunk of the van, and took the larger one down to the shop… I can keep it on the shelf until needed. Made a big mess on the...
At this writing (November 20, 2015) our new shop floor has been in use for several months—she making pots and art, me making more sawdust :). Here’s the result—pretty ordinary-looking, but we both remember the planning and effort whenever we enjoy the warm, solid, level surface under our feet and roll stuff around to make room for projects. CERAMIC STUDIO The “railing” in front of the pottery wheel isn’t a hand-hold. It supports a canvas tar...
With the ceramic studio’s cabinets and work table in place on the completed 2/3 of the shop floor, it was time to finish the complicated “shallow” end, where the plywood-to-concrete clearance tapers to nothing at the northwest corner. Earlier measurements had shown that only a relatively small right triangle based at that corner would need custom tapered PT stringers. The rest of the unfinished 1/3 could be framed with joists hung from a diagonal “rim” joist on...
- My Journey As A Scroll Saw Pattern Designer - 1659 parts
- Extremely Average - 324 parts
- Workshop Development - 107 parts
- Just for Fun... - 97 parts
- A journey into the workshop. - 89 parts
- Daily Update - 87 parts
- "Hobbit Holes in MyWorld" --by RusticWoodArt - 77 parts
- As The Lathe Turns - 76 parts
- WoodWriting Haiku Thursday's --by RusticWoodArt - 74 parts
- ScrollSaw Information and Resources - 68 parts
- Sheila Landry (scrollgirl) - 1684 entries
- frank - 417 entries
- dbhost - 400 entries
- degoose - 397 entries
- Ecocandle - 325 entries
- MsDebbieP - 314 entries
- Karson - 305 entries
- Martin Sojka - 296 entries
- mafe - 281 entries
- William - 258 entries
- shipwright - 229 entries
- Betsy - 225 entries
- Stevinmarin - 212 entries
- stefang - 206 entries
- Gary Fixler - 204 entries
- Todd A. Clippinger - 200 entries
- robscastle - 189 entries
- Rustic - 189 entries
- BritBoxmaker - 188 entries
- Chris Davis - 184 entries