I suppose I need to reevaluate my definition of the meaning of having 'time off'. While I had a wonderful weekend, I had intended to take a couple of "me" days and just putz around the house here and do some things completely for myself. I also wanted to catch up on a couple of things like bringing out the autumn decorations (we don't have many, but I like them anyway) and changing my all season tree to a cool Halloween theme. After all, we are now into the last week of ...
Well, now that we have legs and about 99% of the vise parts have arrived I felt the need to get started on that portion of the build this weekend. We started out looking for a chunk of oak big enough to get a chop out of. We ended up with this one.. kinda skunky and random checks in it but there was enough good area to fit a chop out of it so it will do. Then while he was napping I cut it out on the band saw.. Then feeling refreshed he helped clean it up a bit.. E...
Double lidded box for housing two planes, 1/4” cherry, 2 3/8”x 4”x 8 3/4”. Small plane is a 3” Stanley, U.S. make circa 1930’s. Larger plane is a 6 1/2” Stanley, Sheffield, UK, circa 1960’s, both found on Ebay. Clamping covers…...
We have had rain for several days as the remnants of the hurricane that hit the Baja has drifted over Texas and onto our heads! So I couldn’t go to the lumber yard. Instead, I went through my lumber rack and dug up all of the maple I could find and a few pieces of poplar. I managed to mill enough for the six top drawers. These drawers have 4 inch sides so there were a few pieces that got glued together and then milled. The drawer fronts have half blind dovetails. The rear of e...
With only a few more weekends to go, the time will undoubtedly fly by before my daughter’s birthday party. Knowing my track record, I opted to high tail it, so that I would be able to pre-prime the parts before the party. I managed to sneak some time in this weekend to: Trace out and rough cut the remaining 16 ducks – I tried to do as much work as I could at home before heading into the shop. I’ve decided I need a new jig saw. My Skil (older version of the 4290 one) i...
Roubo-ish Workbench Build #3: Bump in the build, or how a crappy mobile base can bring an Italian Stallion to a halt...
So, I’ve managed to get everything face jointed and the first of the big lamination done. I’ve decided I’m going to go with 8 segments in each half, at least for the moment. The first big lamination was 4 segments, and I had intended to do 3 more 4 segment laminations. That plan has changed though, for two reasons. First, getting all four segments to align turned out to be more trouble than expected. Second, too messy. I’m going to do them in pairs, then glue the...
As promised some news on the marquetry top for the treasure box series #2 The challenge here is to insert the oval white bone inlay first then cut the rest of the background repositioning the pack perfectly as some of the marquetry looks like it moves in front and in the back of those bones. I first build the pack with 4 layers of paperbacked ebony sawn veneer I used a idea of mine and an idea from Patrick to locate perfectly the veneer with the 2 drawings that had to be used...
I recently responded to a friends post about her top 10 books. As in most cases they were recent authors and texts published within the last 20 years or so. So I asked her about what I call, “Old Dead Guys” and listed off a few of them.AthenasiusAugustineJohn CalvinJonathan EdwardsJohn BunyanJohn OwenJoseph CarylBB WarfieldBlaise PascalAlbert BarnesMartin Lloyd-JonesJohn GillCharles Spurgeonand a few others that I could remember in the moment, leaving many aside due to severe brai...
Yesterday was another full and busy day. Not only did we finish updating our site, but I finished creating my pattern packet as well for the SLDP225 MUD Witches Boots. It may sound silly to many, but I am really proud of not only the design, but also the pattern packet itself. I truly feel it was one of my best efforts and was quite an accomplishment for me to make. It isn't that the project is particularly difficult. As a matter of fact, I believe it is very easy. But...
Why buy it when you can make it! #13: Birthday Party Activity [Part 1] - 20 Duck push toys need lots and lots of wheels
With the break point in my dresser rehab project (waiting for a day when I can spray the paint top coat on the dresser), I got started on my daughter’s birthday party activity. Inspired by the Grasshopper pull toy posted by Marc Spagnoulo, I decided to adapt the idea as a birthday party activity for my daughter’s 3rd birthday. My wife and I are a more of the hands-on “make it” type amongst a pool of not so hands on friends. I suggested the idea to my wife that, R...
- My Journey As A Scroll Saw Pattern Designer - 1407 parts
- Extremely Average - 324 parts
- Workshop Development - 107 parts
- A journey into the workshop. - 89 parts
- Daily Update - 87 parts
- Just for Fun... - 86 parts
- "Hobbit Holes in MyWorld" --by RusticWoodArt - 77 parts
- As The Lathe Turns - 76 parts
- WoodWriting Haiku Thursday's --by RusticWoodArt - 74 parts
- The Craftsman's Path - 67 parts
- Sheila Landry (scrollgirl) - 1431 entries
- frank - 417 entries
- degoose - 394 entries
- dbhost - 390 entries
- Ecocandle - 325 entries
- MsDebbieP - 314 entries
- Karson - 305 entries
- Martin Sojka - 296 entries
- William - 258 entries
- mafe - 230 entries
- Betsy - 221 entries
- Stevinmarin - 212 entries
- Gary Fixler - 204 entries
- Todd A. Clippinger - 195 entries
- Rustic - 186 entries
- shipwright - 185 entries
- Chris Davis - 183 entries
- stefang - 174 entries
- BritBoxmaker - 168 entries
- PurpLev - 163 entries