I was able to figure out why the piece of plywood was not square to the other piece of the A-frame. It turned out that one of the angled wedges at the bottom was a little long and needed to be trimmed. The plywood was already in place and I didn’t feel like unclamping and lifting it off. I used my dozuki and trimmed a thin line between the wedge and ply and after fishing the sliver out from underneath I was able to pound the sheet down into place. I used a level and a framing square to ...
It really started a while back, I got hooked on the idea of a router lift for the table after seeing the Incra Router lift with the magnetic inserts. after that the obsession was fed by finding Woodpeckers’ router lifts with the quick release mechanism which allows for quick lift of the router to rough positioning, and for pulling it all the way up for over the table bit change. then came the Woodpeckers PRL-V2 (also rebranded by Incra with their magnetic inserts, and recently also r...
Hard to believe, I know. It’s been over a year since I announced the workbench complete, although there was always that missing part, that loose end that had to be tied off in order to officially declare it a complete project. Not only was it a loose end (literally, the vise screw was hanging loose in it’s slot), but it was a missing integral part of the bench that I kept on wishing I had setup and functional. The Wagon Vise to hold down boards for planing flat and similar work...
With all of the “Hoopla” associated with my recent blog, and Quixote's Project posting on the subject, I just about had to submit and build the toy for her. After all, using the thorough 2-Step plans she provided, how hard could it be? Well, just count all of the Steps I used, and add up the dollar amount of all of the tools I used in the process, and it’s a pretty daunting little project, for a fact. Sure, buying a plastic ring at the big department store would be ch...
so After setting on the last design (see previous post in this series) I went out to disassemble the bowling alley laminated top – the purpose was to remove all the nails, so that I can drill the dog holes, and also laminate it in a double stack to give me a 4” top on the perimeter (5” in from the edges – for clamping purposes, and leg attachments). This idea turned to be disastrous. The nails are hardened steel, and twisted making the job of pulling them outridicul...
Thanks for joining in again and I apologize for the delay. Hand is doing a lot better and it feels great to be back in the shop. Thanks for your patience and your encouragement to get better. In this section we will focus on shaping and sanding our pieces. In my opinion, this is the most important part of the process. Depth is what makes a piece really stand out and the more depth you use in your project the better you’re going to like the end result. We have all seen intarsia pieces...
So after giving some food for though, and going back and forth between 2 designs – my original one: and the Roubo Bench (the one I was drooling over was Jameel’s bench from handcrafted vises), I decided to take the things that would work best for me today, based on materials that I have available today – while keeping an open door for future changes. here are the features I am going for: 1. wagon vise – tail vise abilities, without the sagging, and without...
Welcome back and again sorry for taking so long to get this post out. After my hand healed I was really backed up on some other projects. I’m almost caught up and will post some of those projects on my page in the next couple of days. When we left off we had all the sanding done and are ready for staining and finishing. I’m making two of these frogs, one that will need staining and one out of exotic wood so everyone can participate in this project. We will go over staining next. I’m...
Ok, despite this morning’s drama, I manned up (just kidding, I felt better, if I still felt like that nothing would have been accomplished today) and got something done. At this point some thoughts and opinions on squaring up the A frame and how would I go about measuring the angle to make sure its true 5 degrees from centerline on either side? What I was able to do today was rather surprising. I almost finished, but didn’t know how exactly to get things lined up, so I clamp...
There’s an article, by the well-known Christopher Schwarz, that tells how to make a workbench for about $175.00. I like that idea ;-) He raves about SYP, but … not much of that in my neighborhood, so …. I went with the dimensional Doug Fir, from the Depot. I’m working on the base, right now, but … here’s the top … before being trimmed to length: Got his recommended vise, bench dogs, and Wonder Dog, from Lee Valley. The top will dress ...
- My Journey As A Creative Designer - Woodworking and Beyond - 1742 parts
- Extremely Average - 324 parts
- Workshop Development - 107 parts
- A journey into the workshop. - 105 parts
- Just for Fun... - 97 parts
- Daily Update - 87 parts
- Life as an Amateur Woodworker - 79 parts
- "Hobbit Holes in MyWorld" --by RusticWoodArt - 77 parts
- As The Lathe Turns - 76 parts
- WoodWriting Haiku Thursday's --by RusticWoodArt - 74 parts
- Sheila Landry (scrollgirl) - 1767 entries
- dbhost - 418 entries
- frank - 417 entries
- degoose - 397 entries
- Ecocandle - 325 entries
- MsDebbieP - 314 entries
- Karson - 305 entries
- mafe - 304 entries
- Martin Sojka - 296 entries
- William - 258 entries
- shipwright - 245 entries
- Betsy - 228 entries
- stefang - 220 entries
- robscastle - 218 entries
- Dave Rutan - 213 entries
- Stevinmarin - 212 entries
- Todd A. Clippinger - 207 entries
- Gary Fixler - 204 entries
- Smitty_Cabinetshop - 193 entries
- A Slice of Wood Workshop - 190 entries