Hard to believe, I know. It’s been over a year since I announced the workbench complete, although there was always that missing part, that loose end that had to be tied off in order to officially declare it a complete project. Not only was it a loose end (literally, the vise screw was hanging loose in it’s slot), but it was a missing integral part of the bench that I kept on wishing I had setup and functional. The Wagon Vise to hold down boards for planing flat and similar work...
Welcome back and again sorry for taking so long to get this post out. After my hand healed I was really backed up on some other projects. I’m almost caught up and will post some of those projects on my page in the next couple of days. When we left off we had all the sanding done and are ready for staining and finishing. I’m making two of these frogs, one that will need staining and one out of exotic wood so everyone can participate in this project. We will go over staining next. I’m...
Thanks for joining in again and I apologize for the delay. Hand is doing a lot better and it feels great to be back in the shop. Thanks for your patience and your encouragement to get better. In this section we will focus on shaping and sanding our pieces. In my opinion, this is the most important part of the process. Depth is what makes a piece really stand out and the more depth you use in your project the better you’re going to like the end result. We have all seen intarsia pieces...
With all of the “Hoopla” associated with my recent blog, and Quixote's Project posting on the subject, I just about had to submit and build the toy for her. After all, using the thorough 2-Step plans she provided, how hard could it be? Well, just count all of the Steps I used, and add up the dollar amount of all of the tools I used in the process, and it’s a pretty daunting little project, for a fact. Sure, buying a plastic ring at the big department store would be ch...
Finishing and finishingI have completed my TV stand and it came out better than I hoped. I learned a lot from this project and can’t wait to make my next piece of interior furniture. FinishingI wish I could say everything went off smoothly but I had a few problems finishing the project. One major problem was splotching, where one area stains dark than another. I also had a hard time learning to fill the wood. I tested about 12-15 different stains and dyes until I came across two of the...
Whatever was selected for the backing material of this cabinet needed to add strength, look good and be 1/2” thick. Plywood meets two out of three of those requirements, but I just can’t fall in love with the idea of plywood in my tool till. Biggest hurdle with any other material is the work I might have to do to get it to that 1/2” thickness. I checked the remaining inventory of poplar (says Don W, and he should know) boards salvaged from somewhere, some time ago. This s...
I started this project when we found out we were expecting our first kid. After shopping and not finding anything I liked for the money so I set out to design my own. I wanted a crib that could be broke down and stored when not in use. I bought roughsawn red oak from a local mill an hour from my house. There were a couple things I tried in this project I have never tried before design wise. After trying them, some of those expiriments will not happen again. I tried to make it all part ...
so After setting on the last design (see previous post in this series) I went out to disassemble the bowling alley laminated top – the purpose was to remove all the nails, so that I can drill the dog holes, and also laminate it in a double stack to give me a 4” top on the perimeter (5” in from the edges – for clamping purposes, and leg attachments). This idea turned to be disastrous. The nails are hardened steel, and twisted making the job of pulling them outridicul...
Well I thought I could have the whole cart knocked out in one day, but you wouldn’t believe how incredibly hard it is to work in a garage full of crap! Well, then again, maybe you have been there and can sympathize. Needless to say I made a lot of dust and made some big wood into smaller pieces today. I will let the photo do the talking because there isn’t much to say: torsion box + 4” wheels = platform. :-) As for design, there have been some changes to account for my st...
Oh, yeah, it’s time to stop cutting bait and ‘fish’ for a next-level assembly with this project. In other words, this carcase has been apart and together a bunch of times for marking, cutting, and fitting rabbets and dados. All of those shelves and partitions are at the ready; there’s nothing more do do with the carcase apart that can’t just as well be done while it’s together. In the meantime, I have T&G back-cabinet material as well as face framing th...
- My Journey As A Scroll Saw Pattern Designer - 1186 parts
- Extremely Average - 324 parts
- A journey into the workshop. - 87 parts
- Daily Update - 87 parts
- Just for Fun... - 81 parts
- "Hobbit Holes in MyWorld" --by RusticWoodArt - 77 parts
- WoodWriting Haiku Thursday's --by RusticWoodArt - 74 parts
- The Craftsman's Path - 67 parts
- As The Lathe Turns - 67 parts
- Workshop Development - 65 parts
- Sheila Landry (scrollgirl) - 1208 entries
- frank - 417 entries
- degoose - 387 entries
- dbhost - 331 entries
- Ecocandle - 325 entries
- MsDebbieP - 300 entries
- Martin Sojka - 297 entries
- Karson - 293 entries
- William - 249 entries
- Betsy - 221 entries
- Stevinmarin - 212 entries
- Gary Fixler - 204 entries
- mafe - 204 entries
- Todd A. Clippinger - 187 entries
- Chris Davis - 183 entries
- Rustic - 183 entries
- PurpLev - 162 entries
- shipwright - 160 entries
- BritBoxmaker - 159 entries
- scottb - 144 entries