So the other day I got a wild hair to try hand cut dovetails. Up until now I have always machine cut ally my dovetails. Typically, my thought is, if there is a tool/machine that will let me do something more quickly and accurately, why wouldn’t I use it. However, now I’m fully convinced that with a little practice, hand cut dovetails could be easier and quicker than spending all the time required to set up, test, check the fit, tweak, and re-test a jig setup before being able t...
Last night I was able to get the box all ready to put together. I cut the sides and the base each at a 45-degree angle. I also cut the sides at 45-degrees on the ends where they fit together. I am kicking myself for cutting the base and the sides like that as I think it is going to be hard to glue together. Are there any techniques to make it easier? After I got all the pieces cut, I sanded everything down. Here is what the box will look like when put together. I also sto...
It really started a while back, I got hooked on the idea of a router lift for the table after seeing the Incra Router lift with the magnetic inserts. after that the obsession was fed by finding Woodpeckers’ router lifts with the quick release mechanism which allows for quick lift of the router to rough positioning, and for pulling it all the way up for over the table bit change. then came the Woodpeckers PRL-V2 (also rebranded by Incra with their magnetic inserts, and recently also r...
Hi, So here is post #2 of my bed construction series. After a tough week (was knocked down by the influenza for a few days), I managed to finish all of the building work on this bed. I must admit that I am very pleased with the results. The only thing left is to:-Fine sand some of the rougher areas-Apply the finish As a matter of fact, I am no expert in finishing techniques, so I am asking LJ: What finish would you use to preserve the natural feel and color of the wood, while using...
so After setting on the last design (see previous post in this series) I went out to disassemble the bowling alley laminated top – the purpose was to remove all the nails, so that I can drill the dog holes, and also laminate it in a double stack to give me a 4” top on the perimeter (5” in from the edges – for clamping purposes, and leg attachments). This idea turned to be disastrous. The nails are hardened steel, and twisted making the job of pulling them outridicul...
So after giving some food for though, and going back and forth between 2 designs – my original one: and the Roubo Bench (the one I was drooling over was Jameel’s bench from handcrafted vises), I decided to take the things that would work best for me today, based on materials that I have available today – while keeping an open door for future changes. here are the features I am going for: 1. wagon vise – tail vise abilities, without the sagging, and without...
Last night I rushed home to get the lid on the trash can holder. I was pretty anxious to move the box one step closer to done status. It’s still not done . . .need to add some trim and other things to make it look “purty” but I think it’s getting there. A master craftsman I’m not . . . but my mistakes are a learning experience. :-) Yep . . that’s the trash can (with trash even) in it’s soon to be new home. I haven’t sanded the lid ar...
With all of the “Hoopla” associated with my recent blog, and Quixote's Project posting on the subject, I just about had to submit and build the toy for her. After all, using the thorough 2-Step plans she provided, how hard could it be? Well, just count all of the Steps I used, and add up the dollar amount of all of the tools I used in the process, and it’s a pretty daunting little project, for a fact. Sure, buying a plastic ring at the big department store would be ch...
Hey guys! Taking advantage of the long weekend here in Canada, (so this was last weekend) I made a better base for my dremel. I was taking it apart to see why it was squeaking (trapped sawdust) when the idea hit me – drill the existing screw holes all the way through the body, and get a longer screw to hold the dremel together (like the old screws) and hold the dremel to the base. Well, I didn’t have a screw quite that long and thin, but I did have some short screws of the correct diameter. S...
- My Journey As A Scroll Saw Pattern Designer - 1580 parts
- Extremely Average - 324 parts
- Workshop Development - 107 parts
- Just for Fun... - 96 parts
- A journey into the workshop. - 89 parts
- Daily Update - 87 parts
- "Hobbit Holes in MyWorld" --by RusticWoodArt - 77 parts
- As The Lathe Turns - 76 parts
- WoodWriting Haiku Thursday's --by RusticWoodArt - 74 parts
- ScrollSaw Information and Resources - 68 parts
- Sheila Landry (scrollgirl) - 1605 entries
- frank - 417 entries
- degoose - 396 entries
- dbhost - 390 entries
- Ecocandle - 325 entries
- MsDebbieP - 314 entries
- Karson - 305 entries
- Martin Sojka - 296 entries
- mafe - 278 entries
- William - 258 entries
- Betsy - 221 entries
- shipwright - 213 entries
- Stevinmarin - 212 entries
- Gary Fixler - 204 entries
- Todd A. Clippinger - 199 entries
- stefang - 197 entries
- Rustic - 188 entries
- BritBoxmaker - 184 entries
- Chris Davis - 183 entries
- Smitty_Cabinetshop - 176 entries