So, the first year has gone by, and infact, most of my second year at NSCC has also gone by. The first year was alright, its hard to remember everything i’ve learned since then, but I know its been a lot. Not just about carpentry or woodworking but I’ve really grown as a person since I left grade school. Our projects in First Year were relatively simple, first being some “task sheets” where we had to do specific things with specific tools, to build our skills with t...
I was able to figure out why the piece of plywood was not square to the other piece of the A-frame. It turned out that one of the angled wedges at the bottom was a little long and needed to be trimmed. The plywood was already in place and I didn’t feel like unclamping and lifting it off. I used my dozuki and trimmed a thin line between the wedge and ply and after fishing the sliver out from underneath I was able to pound the sheet down into place. I used a level and a framing square to ...
Ok, despite this morning’s drama, I manned up (just kidding, I felt better, if I still felt like that nothing would have been accomplished today) and got something done. At this point some thoughts and opinions on squaring up the A frame and how would I go about measuring the angle to make sure its true 5 degrees from centerline on either side? What I was able to do today was rather surprising. I almost finished, but didn’t know how exactly to get things lined up, so I clamp...
Well I thought I could have the whole cart knocked out in one day, but you wouldn’t believe how incredibly hard it is to work in a garage full of crap! Well, then again, maybe you have been there and can sympathize. Needless to say I made a lot of dust and made some big wood into smaller pieces today. I will let the photo do the talking because there isn’t much to say: torsion box + 4” wheels = platform. :-) As for design, there have been some changes to account for my st...
Finishing and finishingI have completed my TV stand and it came out better than I hoped. I learned a lot from this project and can’t wait to make my next piece of interior furniture. FinishingI wish I could say everything went off smoothly but I had a few problems finishing the project. One major problem was splotching, where one area stains dark than another. I also had a hard time learning to fill the wood. I tested about 12-15 different stains and dyes until I came across two of the...
Twenty years ago was the last time I did any real woodworking. That was at NAS Moffett Field, where I was stationed as a Weapons System Technician on the Lockheed P-3C Orion aircraft. The base has a terrific wood shop and I treid to go as often as possible. Unfortunately, my hectic Navy life was less than conducive to long hours in the shop, so I did what I could. A year later I decided to leave the Navy. Since then I have only cut wood out of necessity and basic need, not for fun. So sad&...
TV Stand #8: Raised Panel Doors, Soss Invisible Hinges, Table Top Edge, Getting Ready for the Finish
Yes it’s been over a month since I’ve posted an update but I’m still working on my TV stand. Raised Panel Doors Since my last blog, I finished the raised panel portion of my doors. This is the first time I’m doing a raised panel and I was having a problem getting the panel flush with the frame. To correct this problem I disassembled the panel router bit and raised the back cutter. Now I would be able to remove more of the back. Now the panel fit exactl...
Now that the construction of the carcass was finished (as far as I can think) it was time to trim off the excess of the face frames (front was already done, and just had to do the back). I trimmed off the back as I got home from work. I used a block plane for that and brought the carcass into the house to continue working on it later at night when I get more time: can still see the burn marks from the TS. Nothing that a good shave/scrape wouldn’t clean right off: Later at ...
Since I do not find much time lately to get any progress I figured I’d try to sneak in some shop time in-betweens. Yesterday I was able to sneak in some shop time while grilling outside:1. Turn on Grill, let warm up2-. Joint board flat and square3. Place chicken on grill4-. Rip board to get 2 1/2” strips ~3” wide5. Turn Chicken so it won’t burn6-. Rip narrow strips to get 4×1/2” x 7/8” strips7-. Cut a center groove in strips for spline8. Turn chicke...
Another small step forward. I was able to mill some mahogany today for the face frames. I milled some 7/8”x1/2” strips from 1 long board that I was hoping would be enough for both front and back face frames but unfortunately it only yielded enough material for the front which is also all I had time today to manage. So I joint a board with my #6 so that I can then rip it on the TS to long narrow strips 7/8” wide (to cover the 3/4” plywood with excess that I could the...
- My Journey As A Creative Designer - Woodworking and Beyond - 1742 parts
- Extremely Average - 324 parts
- Workshop Development - 107 parts
- A journey into the workshop. - 106 parts
- Just for Fun... - 97 parts
- Daily Update - 87 parts
- Life as an Amateur Woodworker - 79 parts
- "Hobbit Holes in MyWorld" --by RusticWoodArt - 77 parts
- As The Lathe Turns - 76 parts
- WoodWriting Haiku Thursday's --by RusticWoodArt - 74 parts
- Sheila Landry (scrollgirl) - 1767 entries
- dbhost - 419 entries
- frank - 417 entries
- degoose - 397 entries
- Ecocandle - 325 entries
- MsDebbieP - 314 entries
- Karson - 305 entries
- mafe - 304 entries
- Martin Sojka - 296 entries
- William - 258 entries
- shipwright - 246 entries
- Betsy - 228 entries
- stefang - 220 entries
- robscastle - 218 entries
- Dave Rutan - 213 entries
- Stevinmarin - 212 entries
- Todd A. Clippinger - 207 entries
- Gary Fixler - 204 entries
- Smitty_Cabinetshop - 193 entries
- A Slice of Wood Workshop - 190 entries