Alright, so ive been interested in woodworking for a while. Ive made a few half assed pieces (mostly using dull tools on saw benches or the tailgate of my truck). But that was when I lived in Chicago and had no room for a shop. After more than a year of planning and job hunting we’ve finally gotten out of the city and moved to a small town in Michigan. It took about a month to get the house together and start to build out the shed. Plenty of time plan the whole thing out in my head (...
When I made the wall hanging, Dance on a Volcano I considered at one point making it into an EZ Mitre box. I liked the pattern so much as it was that it stayed that way. I go past it on the Stairway to Devon, every day and it always makes me think of a box alternative. So I set about designing one, using TurboCAD to 3D model it. I came up with this. My initial thoughts were to make it in solid wood, much like the original using; Sycamore, Pau Amarello, Yew, Padauk, Purpleheart and Ebon...
Started the day’s activity concentrating effort on the sliding shelf that will separate the till section from the undivided bottom well of the chest. Glue scraping with the #82, then a check for flat with the winding stick. One isolated area of glue residue I can’t get to. If it were tear-out, I’d have an issue. This ain’t that, but it still bugs me. So the bedrock #4C gives way to the #2. Took the glued-up, cleaned up panel over to the chest and ...
So, The Outside of the Chest looks reasonably authentic now, and features a lid that keeps dust and other detritus away from the rust-prone surfaces of tools within. But after a spring and summer to-do list filled with roofing, siding and other outdoor remediations, there has been no time for tool chests and the like. Until this week, when I starting clearing clutter with my Friendly Confines (Shop) and setting items inside the Chest. Can’t add more without stacking, and IR...
We have been working hard on getting everything done on the inside of the wood shop bay because the dry wall is being put on this weekend. Here’s a list of the progress: -Plumbing for bathroom-Dust collector delivered-Sections around the shop paved-Vapour shield on-Windows torn out I started setting up the Grizzly Dust collector, but two of the leg braces were not the correct size. I emailed grizzly and they will be sending me the correct parts. I’m pretty excited to...
We finally got our basement a bit more organized and painted, thus giving me a space that I can actually call a workshop. The two photos below show the area I’m working in. The oil tank is a feature because I can put drawings or notes on it with magnets. They don’t blow away of get lost as fast. The workbench is one of the first things I knocked together after we bought the house. Someday I’ll probably rework it with better legs and lower it a few inches. ...
Today we put the basement back together after painting the walls with waterproof paint. Since everything was pulled out and we were moving things around, We moved the chest freezer over to the bottom of the steps. When we moved into our house some 19 years ago I was not a woodworker. I did some DIY projects with handheld electric tools, but nothing more. Hence when we bought the freezer it just got put without any real thought.With the freezer out of my space, I have room for a better arran...
Welcome back and again sorry for taking so long to get this post out. After my hand healed I was really backed up on some other projects. I’m almost caught up and will post some of those projects on my page in the next couple of days. When we left off we had all the sanding done and are ready for staining and finishing. I’m making two of these frogs, one that will need staining and one out of exotic wood so everyone can participate in this project. We will go over staining next. I’m...
When we left off yesterday, I had a pile of cherry needing attention. So tonight The plan was to joint whatever I had to in support of the next step in this cabinet build: assembly and glue-up of the upper panel doors. The panel boards ended up just a hair less than 1/2” according to the measure on the planer, and I arranged them into a pattern that’d look good across both doors (three pieces per door). But some work is needed before I can do the glue up. I brought the p...
Pictures tonight, but precious little dialogue. Lunchbox planer was out with a bad switch, but it came back this weekend. So the boards went through multiple passes then were each given the #4 smoother treatment. I did move to the #4 1/2 after awhile, and the mass was very welcome. I ripped a thicker board then did the re-saw of those boards on the old Craftsman bandsaw. When the night was over, the cabinet was covered with the fruits of the evening’s labor. Let ...
- My Journey As A Scroll Saw Pattern Designer - 1198 parts
- Extremely Average - 324 parts
- A journey into the workshop. - 87 parts
- Daily Update - 87 parts
- Just for Fun... - 81 parts
- "Hobbit Holes in MyWorld" --by RusticWoodArt - 77 parts
- WoodWriting Haiku Thursday's --by RusticWoodArt - 74 parts
- The Craftsman's Path - 67 parts
- Workshop Development - 67 parts
- As The Lathe Turns - 67 parts
- Sheila Landry (scrollgirl) - 1220 entries
- frank - 417 entries
- degoose - 388 entries
- dbhost - 333 entries
- Ecocandle - 325 entries
- MsDebbieP - 301 entries
- Martin Sojka - 297 entries
- Karson - 294 entries
- William - 249 entries
- Betsy - 221 entries
- Stevinmarin - 212 entries
- mafe - 208 entries
- Gary Fixler - 204 entries
- Todd A. Clippinger - 187 entries
- Chris Davis - 183 entries
- Rustic - 183 entries
- PurpLev - 162 entries
- shipwright - 160 entries
- BritBoxmaker - 159 entries
- stefang - 145 entries