I hit the jackpot last night on my salvage rounds. I’ve been frequently checking the discarded cutoffs behind an office furniture maker near my workplace, where I have found small, scrap pieces of cherry (some long, skinny pieces too, but nothing spectacular). Well last night I hit the mother lode (as far as I’m concerned anyway). Mostly poplar and american cherry, some clear pine and a flat, thin piece of mahogany (i think). I bound it up really well with twisted wire...
My father-in-law procured a new shop addition this past weekend, namely a Ryobi 9” benchtop band saw!!! Jim, you rock! This little gem has already earned it’s keep by enabling me to make some tricky angled cuts on Keaton’s Rocket Bookcase (more on that in another post). Once I get the hang of things and play with it a while, I’ll post a review of it, but for now, there are a few house keeping things that need attending. Namely, a fence and a push stick (safety...
I realized yesterday morning that I was getting way ahead of myself trying to make the saw till with the door guides before the case was assembled. I need to know the exact dimensions of the space it will occupy before I build it *doh! So I got re-organized and turned my focus on prepping the panels for assembly. First thing on that list was to knock out the grooves for the sliding dovetailed drawer cubbies. I asked my helper if he wanted to help me out but he was busy chilling on the...
Today started out really productive but life intervened and production tapered off in the after noon so not as far along as I had hoped I would be by this time but might make it up tomorrow. I started the day out with some coffee and a no 3. After both doors worth of slats were flat I got my Grizzly round over plane and spent a leisurely time adding a round over to the face of all the slats lol. Added some painters tape to keep the doors together before glueup com...
Had an unexpected early day at work today (which was nice after nearly 2 weeks of 15+ hour days) so I took advantage of it and started laying out the tool storage preliminary plan. Here is the rough idea.. From the front minus doors.. Behind the plane till and tool storage will be a secondary wall that separates the planes and tools from a pair of saw tills hidden in the back wall. And a quick mock-up to see it in scale.. the saws on the front will be in the back in their ...
Over the last couple of days before and after work I have had an assembly line of sorts going on in the shop for the glue up of the side, top and bottom panels of the cabinet case. I am up to 3 done and one more in clamps as we speak. As each one came out of the clamps and a new one went in I went about cleaning up and flattening the faces with a myriad of hand planes and my scraper. I purposely made each panel slightly oversized just in case I needed to rip a glue joint and re-joi...
I spent the weekend cleaning up the mess left from my workbench build and this evening I got started on the actual building of the cabinet :D I have only managed one panel but really only spent an hour or so working on it. First thing to do was to find just the “right” pieces for the sides. I have become quite smitten with the baby poop green grain patterns in this poplar and decided to showcase this instead of trying to hide it. I grabbed a random assortment from the pi...
This morning before work I finally got a plan together for this cabinet. It hits all the design criteria I had laid out and more so I think it’s a go on the build now. Here is my highly technical “sketch up” of the cabinet :D This is a head on view. The bottom cabinet with drawers on it will reside between the legs and can be un attached and rolled elsewhere in the shop if needed. This will hold mostly consumables (sandpaper, glue up supplies etc) and my sharpen...
Finally wrapped this project up, after some setbacks. To correct the angled chop I had to see what was the problem: the hole drilled in the chop or the hole drilled for the coupler buried in the leg? First I tested the hole in the leg: Clearly, the threaded rod exiting the leg is off of perpendicular. Then, before I attacked the solution, I decided to check the chop: Huh. It’s off too! So, after some hand wringing, cussing, and a few beers, I took the case online ...
Good news bad news kind of day. Twice. The first thing that hit me today was that the bare spot I had filed into the threads on the leg vise “screw” (really a 5/8” threaded rod from the Borg) for the first chop won’t work on v2 because the chop is twice as thick. Soooo…half an hour of filing and I had this: Then I started making the garter. First I measured out a 2.5” square of 1/2” oak. Then took it to the drill press and punched ...
- My Journey As A Scroll Saw Pattern Designer - 1199 parts
- Extremely Average - 324 parts
- A journey into the workshop. - 87 parts
- Daily Update - 87 parts
- Just for Fun... - 81 parts
- "Hobbit Holes in MyWorld" --by RusticWoodArt - 77 parts
- WoodWriting Haiku Thursday's --by RusticWoodArt - 74 parts
- The Craftsman's Path - 67 parts
- Workshop Development - 67 parts
- As The Lathe Turns - 67 parts
- Sheila Landry (scrollgirl) - 1221 entries
- frank - 417 entries
- degoose - 388 entries
- dbhost - 333 entries
- Ecocandle - 325 entries
- MsDebbieP - 301 entries
- Martin Sojka - 297 entries
- Karson - 294 entries
- William - 249 entries
- Betsy - 221 entries
- Stevinmarin - 212 entries
- mafe - 208 entries
- Gary Fixler - 204 entries
- Todd A. Clippinger - 187 entries
- Chris Davis - 183 entries
- Rustic - 183 entries
- PurpLev - 162 entries
- shipwright - 160 entries
- BritBoxmaker - 159 entries
- stefang - 146 entries