Well, the fat lady hasn’t sung, but she’s warming up! Since last we spoke (read?) the walnut received a true oil finish and I glued it all up and drilled for the hardware! I pre-finished as much of the walnut as possible with 3 coats of Tried & True varnish oil following Christian Becksvoort’s method laid out in FWW #152 Circa 2001. This stuff is very viscus and I found heating it up using a small jar on a candle warmer made it wipe on much easier and sped up the d...
Hello All, Just found some time to send an update to Lumber Jocks. Spud Woodworks is growing once more, this time I have launched a new product line! I acquired a NEW in the box 1995 Delta Scroll Saw on Ebay… That’s right, I couldn’t believe it when I came across it! And it is beautiful and works amazingly. Anyhow, I decided to start making wood puzzles and I designed my first set of them to begin selling. I also added some walnut and maple blocks to my wooden blocks p...
Welcome back everyone! It is now time to begin the exciting part of the project. In the first post of this series, I showed my plan for this project, which contains a total of 82 half-lap joints. I don’t have a dado stack at this time (and I am not so sure I would want to put one on my current saw), and my router table is too small to realistically cut the half-laps on the larger pieces. So what I have decided to do is to ‘gang’ several like pieces together and cut the half-...
Well it’s been a couple weeks and the bitter cold snap has slowed the progress a bit.. but here’s the progress since we last met. I wrapped up the Toddler Rail joinery… voila! And surface prepped the walnut for finishing with some P220 on an ROS and P320 by hand. I was originally planning on just using my #4 and skipping the sanding (as much as possible) but I chickened out… I brought all the dowels home from Dad’s shop to my cozy (and down right CO...
With the plans drawn up, it is now time to mill the rough lumber. As per the title of the series, I am using poplar for this project, mainly because it is inexpensive, and this project was meant partly as practice in joinery. I might have gone with pine, but these boards were exceptionally cheap ($20 all told) and should look quite a bit nicer. Here’s a picture of them: Here comes the dilemma. I have no planer or jointer, nor do I have any hand planes (or even any experience usin...
Hi everyone, Welcome to my first project blog entry on LJs. As I will write about (maybe) in another series, I have a blog on Google’s Blogspot (started before I new about LJs). Now that I am a member here, I thought I’d try using this site as a medium for writing about my projects, so we will see how this goes. As the series title suggests, I am embarking on a journey to build a shoe rack. This came as a request from my wife, who is getting tired of finding her shoes covere...
Yesterday, I was able to finish dealing with the dowels in this project. Attaching the rails to the crib end parts was not a challenging as assembling the rails. The photo below is of the crib sitting on the side bench allowing the glue to set and dry. Next on the project list is to build the drawer. I have not had a lot of success in making drawers in the past, so I’m trying very hard to take it slow and get it right.
So I’ve been looking for a project that I could use as a gift for my Granddaughter (almost 2) and this month’s Wood Magazine had it right there between their pages. A Doll Baby bed project seems exactly what I was looking for and would fit in with time that I have available.It also doesn’t hurt that I had almost all of the materials sitting in my cut off bin! So, I am now about 50% complete with this project and due to a couple of the parts that need to be made, I d...
So I finally finished cleaning up and installing the missing parts for my #45 and couldn’t resist putting it to work. First lets catch up.. Last installment I had finished 1 of 2 rabbets for the top and bottom of the back. I finished up the second one last night. This one didn’t go as smoothly as the last and I really cannot pin point the issue but my #78 just would not cooperate. I ended up chopping the whole thing with a chisel. Remind me not to do that again lol. I...
The glue is dry on the canvas backs for the tambour doors. Pulled them out of the jig yesterday and broke them all free of each other and to my surprise they curl up very nicely! Then I got started on a spot that has cause me some anxiety for some reason… the back of the cabinet.. After weighing the options I have decided on T&G with rabbets on the top and bottom and grooves along the sides with a center “Key Stone” slat with tongues on both sides ...
- My Journey As A Scroll Saw Pattern Designer - 1295 parts
- Extremely Average - 324 parts
- Workshop Development - 101 parts
- A journey into the workshop. - 89 parts
- Daily Update - 87 parts
- Just for Fun... - 82 parts
- "Hobbit Holes in MyWorld" --by RusticWoodArt - 77 parts
- As The Lathe Turns - 76 parts
- WoodWriting Haiku Thursday's --by RusticWoodArt - 74 parts
- The Craftsman's Path - 67 parts
- Sheila Landry (scrollgirl) - 1317 entries
- frank - 417 entries
- degoose - 388 entries
- dbhost - 380 entries
- Ecocandle - 325 entries
- MsDebbieP - 314 entries
- Karson - 302 entries
- Martin Sojka - 297 entries
- William - 258 entries
- Betsy - 221 entries
- mafe - 219 entries
- Stevinmarin - 212 entries
- Gary Fixler - 204 entries
- Todd A. Clippinger - 188 entries
- Rustic - 185 entries
- Chris Davis - 183 entries
- shipwright - 175 entries
- PurpLev - 163 entries
- BritBoxmaker - 163 entries
- stefang - 151 entries