I have been sending text messages to two of my sons and at times to my two daughters. I would send photos and comments of what I was doing today in my woodshop. I am probably boring them, most of the time. Today I had the thought that I should put my thoughts and updates to work-in-progress in an online blog. So this is what this thread will be. Text in my blog can sit there and bore nobody, or someone who chooses to be. I will simply start with stuff I am working on today, without bac...
Long delay in posting. Have been very busy at work and havent had time to post. In this session, I installed the face frame and doors on the router base as well as mounted the table top. I started with the finished outer case And ended with the drawers installed Steps in this session 1. Installed hardwood drawer runners2. Mounted face frame and caster wheels3. Drill, tap and mount top4. Build and install drawers Step 1 – Install hard wood runners Rip hard wood...
I recently got a 6 foot length of sycamore which I cut in half in order to make a chopping block/table 3 foot by 2foot. Even after cutting in half the boards were so badly twisted that I had to split them length ways in order to flatten and plane them without removing too much material . The picture above shows the boards sawn ready for jointing and planing. I first of all flattened one face on the jointer and then put them through the thicknesser to achieve a consistent t...
Having the bulk of pieces, cut and sanded, I elected to tape and pre finish most of the components. Finishing large projects is a huge challenge for me as I work in a 3 car garage and can not easily spray stuff. Since I was finishing many large panels, I decided to try applying the clear coat with a floor roller. Since I like their other products, I decided to use a Zinsser water based poly. It worked as well as brushing does, however, the coats go on thick and you need to watch the rol...
I finished the kitchen cabinets on schedule and my brother and sister-in-law came up this weekend and attacked the project with gusto… First the sheet rock came down, and then most of the wall studs came out. Then the carpet and the kitchen floor had to be cut back to the subfloor level so cabinets could sit down where they needed to be. Once the final dimensions were figured out, the end post to support the overhead beam went in place (the beam was pocket screwed i...
It has been unusually hot and humid here for the past few weeks with a couple breaks in the weather recently. The small air conditioner in my shop does an admirable job of keeping things bearable, but only if I give it a 2 hour head start to get things under control. This means really no work on the really hot days after I get home from my day job. I have been working, slowly, on a new set of built in bookshelves in our home office. I had some nice simple plans in one of ...
Chicken or Egg? Face frame cabinets are traditional in old houses like mine. A shot of my dining room. I have received some questions about why I started with the face frame rather than the cabinet boxes. Which is kind of a chicken or egg, pins or tails first type of question. If you do the math right it doesn’t matter as one should fit the other. Or build one to fit the space and build the other to match it (my actual method). For me cabinet building is interactive. I have ...
Well, I’m almost done. I finally had time to finish putting the pine sample piece together 2 weeks ago. This weekend I focused on the final product in oak. I have everything cut and drilled for the pocket holes. I put it together for now and I’ll start working on the sanding and finish work later this week. Parts Back view with pocket holes Front view with brackets and pocket holes No sanding or finish yet
So, now it’s time to put some parts together. I started with the leg assembly’s first. I decided to use 3-#20 biscuits, glue and screws. I thought about pocket screws, but I think for the legs the biscuits, glue and screws will be the strongest. I referenced all my slot cuts from the fence..this is important..either use the fence or the base, but don’t use both or you may have some alignment problems, depending on how your biscuit joiner is set up… Pretty straig...
Since I haven’t done much woodwork since high school other than Pinewood Derby and making pens, I decided to make a test piece. I picked up some pine and after the boards were planed, I did the basic layout. I still have a lot of work to do, but I have the pieces cut out. I was debating how to do the jointery, but I decided to try pocket screws and glue. Maybe I’ll get a couple of pics when I get the holes drilled. For now, here are some pics of the work so far. ...
- My Journey As A Creative Designer - Woodworking and Beyond - 1742 parts
- Extremely Average - 324 parts
- Workshop Development - 107 parts
- A journey into the workshop. - 106 parts
- Just for Fun... - 97 parts
- Daily Update - 87 parts
- Life as an Amateur Woodworker - 79 parts
- "Hobbit Holes in MyWorld" --by RusticWoodArt - 77 parts
- As The Lathe Turns - 76 parts
- WoodWriting Haiku Thursday's --by RusticWoodArt - 74 parts
- Sheila Landry (scrollgirl) - 1767 entries
- dbhost - 419 entries
- frank - 417 entries
- degoose - 397 entries
- Ecocandle - 325 entries
- MsDebbieP - 314 entries
- Karson - 305 entries
- mafe - 304 entries
- Martin Sojka - 296 entries
- William - 258 entries
- shipwright - 246 entries
- Betsy - 228 entries
- stefang - 220 entries
- robscastle - 218 entries
- Dave Rutan - 214 entries
- Stevinmarin - 212 entries
- Todd A. Clippinger - 207 entries
- Gary Fixler - 204 entries
- Smitty_Cabinetshop - 194 entries
- A Slice of Wood Workshop - 190 entries