I am attaching the legs as shown in the photo. After all four legs are on then I will attach the skirts connecting the legs. Pocket screws again will be used. The position of the skirts will cover the pocket holes on the sides of the legs. Then I will be able to measure the final lengths of the corner brackets. I have yet to determine where I will drill pocket holes to fasten the corner brackets. The corner brackets will cover the pocket holes drilled in the skirts. I doubt I wi...
I finally started my dedicated mitre saw station and as you can see it’s basically going to be 2 36” wide cabinets with drawers and 2 cabinet doors to each unit .. In the middle I’m going to put a shelf and frame to support the mitre saw and also make it flush to the top of the cabinets so I cut my 8’ lumber . The cabinets are made out of furniture grade poplar and its dimensions are 36” wide 40” tall and 24” deep.. I planing...
I have been sending text messages to two of my sons and at times to my two daughters. I would send photos and comments of what I was doing today in my woodshop. I am probably boring them, most of the time. Today I had the thought that I should put my thoughts and updates to work-in-progress in an online blog. So this is what this thread will be. Text in my blog can sit there and bore nobody, or someone who chooses to be. I will simply start with stuff I am working on today, without bac...
In this video, I attach the top of the headboard, then I show the painting technique we chose, which consists of two different colors, and then distressing the outer layer. I posted the final product on my projects page: view it here. Watch part 2 here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZjDxyTyYbJ8
The top of my workbench is a 4” thick torsion box: 3/4” birch plywood panels on either side of a frame of 2.5”x1.5” yellow pine members. When designing the top, these were my primary considerations: I wanted it to be flat and strong, and not too light. I wanted an array of dog holes. I decided that spacing them 6” center-to-center would be good enough for my surface vise. I wanted every dog hole to be in, or backed by, solid wood. That way, even if the h...
Earlier this year we decided to remodel one of the bathrooms – meaning my lovely wife started demolishing the tile in the tub and it was my job to get it done. That seems to be the way our bigger projects start – she gets the ball rolling for me. Now that the tub is replaced with a 22” soaker and the tile has been sealed and the caulking is in place it is time to start on the rest of it. Because we haven’t decided if we are going to redo the floor I have started o...
This third installment includes a short narrated slideshow of the mounting of the grills made in the last installment and the continued reinforcement of the door. If you remember, I’m making a set of screen doors for set of Anderson french exterior doors. Anyone have any recommendations on a good outside finish for pine? I’m thinking spar or marine varnish.
I’ve been slowly working on building a modified captain’s bed for my 3 year old daughter. I thought I’d document some of the progress here. It’s been a fun project so far and my wife is itching for me to get it completed. This is the initial concept that I came up with after seeing a similar bed in a local furniture store. Lauren’s room isn’t very large, so having some storage under the bed is really a bonus. Lauren outgrew her crib and small b...
Ok, so first post—— I’ve just finished building what could (charitably) be called my third project. Have yet to finish it. The impetus for this is a need for somewhere to keep recycling (bottles, cans, etc) in our new house. We have entirely renovated our kitchen recently, so this is one of the final pieces of that project. It’s pine from local HD. Held together with pocket holes—no fancy joinery here. Cutting was all done on my (new!) table saw, which ...
I have undertaken my first solo project without having someone around watching that knows more about making stuff than me – the garage was empty except for me. My wife had requested, about 1 year ago, that I make this bench for the hallway leading to the laundry room that would be a place where we can sit, take off our shoes and have a place to store them. Since I was slow to act, she bought a wicker basket that shoes get thrown in. Finally, I started on this project over Labor day week...
- My Journey As A Creative Designer - Woodworking and Beyond - 1742 parts
- Extremely Average - 324 parts
- A journey into the workshop. - 107 parts
- Workshop Development - 107 parts
- Just for Fun... - 97 parts
- Daily Update - 87 parts
- Life as an Amateur Woodworker - 80 parts
- "Hobbit Holes in MyWorld" --by RusticWoodArt - 77 parts
- As The Lathe Turns - 76 parts
- WoodWriting Haiku Thursday's --by RusticWoodArt - 74 parts
- Sheila Landry (scrollgirl) - 1767 entries
- dbhost - 420 entries
- frank - 417 entries
- degoose - 397 entries
- Ecocandle - 325 entries
- MsDebbieP - 314 entries
- Karson - 305 entries
- mafe - 304 entries
- Martin Sojka - 296 entries
- William - 258 entries
- shipwright - 246 entries
- Betsy - 228 entries
- stefang - 220 entries
- robscastle - 218 entries
- Dave Rutan - 214 entries
- Stevinmarin - 212 entries
- Todd A. Clippinger - 207 entries
- Gary Fixler - 204 entries
- Smitty_Cabinetshop - 194 entries
- A Slice of Wood Workshop - 190 entries