I have just arrived back in Az for the winter and have decided I need a good workbench. The one I have at home in Canada is great but it’s too big for my little carport shop here so I have redesigned it a little and am going to take it on as a challenge to build the”best bang for the buck”workbench. It is really a challenge for myself but if anyone wants to take it up and give me a run for it you are absolutely welcome. With luck the outcome will be a cheap, easy to build...
The last couple of days have been to put it politely, a bit frustrating. I am gathering tools together slowly, so that when we find the right house, I will be able to get up and running in the workshop, reasonably quickly, and from listening to the Locals, and my experiences of living in Spain, power cuts out in the Campo are something you learn to live with, in my case, I like to be prepared, and a Generator, to keep both the house and the workshop ticking over is a must. Before moving t...
A Disc Bench Sander was next on the list, something simple, but effective was needed. There are some excellent ideas on here, YouTube, and other sites, but my criteria, was that it could be run using my drill, and took up as little space as possible. Well the final build could not be more simple, six pieces of wood, (1/2” ply to cut out the Disc, using my scrollsaw, and 3/4” ply for the Base, the Disc support, the Drill support and the two side pieces, one 8mm bearing ( an i...
Note: I thought I had published this post back in the summer—-I was wrong. So…only 3 months late, I post it now, in mid-October. To refresh your memory, here’s the first post on this long suffering project. Somewhere between my idea and my skills, between the New Yankee Workshop and the local dumpster, my hiss drive rover met its fate. It wasn’t the design’s fault, I’m sure of that. It will work. It has to. What didn’t work was my last minu...
The project for my photographer friend is coming along, at least far enough to bother documenting it. He’s fallen in love with making ambrotype images. He’s got all the developing equipment in a dark room setup in his garage, and he’s asked me to make him a portable dark box that will enable him to develop images anywhere. His idea is to start a side business doing portraits at conventions, fairs, and whatnot. I decided that a frame and panel box would be fun to try, s...
Haven’t had a lot of shop time in the past week, too many tasks around the house and yesterday was a complete wash (rain all day makes for stir-crazy kids). But, I did get out there today and made some sawdust. First I took the random orbital sander to the coopered first stage section and smoothed it out into a nice purty arch. Then I got busy cutting and planing the sides of the second stage. I want to let the final design of the hatch on the coopered section of the first s...
This design for this bookcase calls for a simple shape for the backing. In the previous post I mentioned splitting it in two for ease of construction. Here’s how I did it: Using the Versacut, I freehand cut every line in about ten minutes. Using the built in laser guide made it easy. In the end, I had some nice sharp, accurate angles and two rocket stages cut out. I couldn’t resist stacking them, so here’s the final height, 70”: It took far longer...
Wallowing the success of the princess castle bookcase, I quickly realized that with our third child due in February, it was high time to make Keaton a bookcase of his while I can. It’s too cold in the winter for painting and finishing, so with Sara’s blessing, I finalized the design and began gathering materials. Here’s the idea: Keaton loves…I mean LOVES rockets. We have a narrow but tall space in his room that just begs for something like a narrow boo...
For my castle bookcase project, I needed to make a series of 1” holes in a long strip of 1/4” plywood. I figured the easiest way was to use the drill press. To do so efficiently, though, required a fence and table. I’ve been meaning to make one of these for a while, so I figured, now’s the time! It’s very simple. Just a square of 1/2” ply with a little 2” square on the upper left corner to fit on the side of the drill press support pole. The...
Took advantage of some quiet time after the kiddos went down tonight to make up some time on another secret project. Finishing the router table was key to that project and can also be really useful on the Castle Bookcase so….it got bumped to priority #1. That meant tackling the fence. Luckily, my son’s bedframe broke about four months ago. I repaired the nice wood frame and rail and kept it in the lumber pile until today, knowing from the get go what it was to be used for. I...
- My Journey As A Scroll Saw Pattern Designer - 1466 parts
- Extremely Average - 324 parts
- Workshop Development - 107 parts
- Just for Fun... - 93 parts
- A journey into the workshop. - 89 parts
- Daily Update - 87 parts
- "Hobbit Holes in MyWorld" --by RusticWoodArt - 77 parts
- As The Lathe Turns - 76 parts
- WoodWriting Haiku Thursday's --by RusticWoodArt - 74 parts
- The Craftsman's Path - 67 parts
- Sheila Landry (scrollgirl) - 1490 entries
- frank - 417 entries
- degoose - 394 entries
- dbhost - 390 entries
- Ecocandle - 325 entries
- MsDebbieP - 314 entries
- Karson - 305 entries
- Martin Sojka - 296 entries
- William - 258 entries
- mafe - 236 entries
- Betsy - 221 entries
- Stevinmarin - 212 entries
- Gary Fixler - 204 entries
- shipwright - 198 entries
- Todd A. Clippinger - 197 entries
- Rustic - 186 entries
- stefang - 185 entries
- Chris Davis - 183 entries
- BritBoxmaker - 177 entries
- PurpLev - 163 entries