I spent the time I had today out in the muggy shop sweatin’ and sandin’. I took the little palm sander to all the front edges of the plywood shelves and rounded everything over. Lesson learned: next time sand everything BEFORE you assemble…. I had decided over the weekend to forfoe adding trim to the front of each shelf because this thing will be primed and painted anyway…you won’t be able to tell what type of wood was used to begin with. Once all the crack...
After discussing it with my wife, we decided it would be better to have another shelf on the bookcase and shorten the toy storage area. Easy enough. I ripped out a new shelf, trimmed to size a d drilled pocket holes. Some glue and screws and a other shelf is born. Hint: it’s the narrow one directly above the large opening, bottom left of the picture below. Then I cut out the toy storage front piece with the jigsaw: When it was free, I used the tracing paper outline of a flowe...
I used what time I had today to make the final cuts on the base moulding and attach both sides and front with glue and nails. Used up quite a bit of time just clearing space in the garage and setting up an assembly table with sawhorses and of course cleaning up and putting things away so my wife could park her car later. That’s when it dawned on me: this is the largest project I’ve attempted since the workbench! Anyway, after fiddling with the moulding, I decided on pl...
Today was a short day in the shop. I had to split my time between the bookcase and weeding, trimming some bushes and planted a rosebush. The sun finally broke through the clouds and the rain we’ve been socked with for the past week so I couldn’t pass up the opportunity to get some yardwork done during naptime. That said, I did accomplish something today: I fired up the new router table for the first trial run and it was an unqualified success! Despite its humble appearance ...
Today I installed a block (2 2×4 cut-offs glued and screwed together) to support the bottom shelf, directly under the support brace for the main shelf. Here it is before installation: It was a perfect fit and will carry any weight from the top shelf down through the bottom shelf nicely, I think. To install it, I drew lines where the vertical support will go, then countersunk screws in that space to hold the block. A layer of glue and the vertical support was installed with p...
Spent an hour in the shop today assembling the carcase. It was very quick. First I marked on the side where the bottom shelf and top shelf would be, drew layout lines and coated with glue. Then I put the shelf in place, tightened the Kreg screws and bam, shelves installed. I flipped the side with two shelves attached and repeated the process for the other side and voila, sides and shelves done! Love the pocket screws…perfect method for plywood. Then I repeated the steps fo...
Today, I transferred all my measurements from the plans to the 1/2” ACX plywood (4’x4’ sheets) I bought last week. Whipped out the Versacut and sliced and diced till i had the sides, top, bottom shelf, main shelf inner support and toy front cut out. I also decided to lose the lop shelf and shrink the height from 42” to 36” to better fit the space i have to work with in Kylie’s room. Also decided to cut down the large book space (20” is way too b...
In the spirit of keeping up to date, I’ve decided to post the blog entires for my recent castle bookcase project. My daughter, Kylie is two now and long overdue for a bookcase to house not only her growing collection of books but also the books my son no longer reads (he is four now and is starting to learn to read books that have chapters). The pile on the floor is just not cutting it any more. When she was an infant the five or six books we read to her were easy to store on top o...
I decided that I wanted another workbench. I already have the wood workbench from HF that I picked up on sale for about 100 bucks a few years ago. That was a great purchase. But I have outgrown it and now need a larger one. Given that I’m in the military and will probably be moving in a few years I have been thinking about how I wanted to make the base. I came up with a simple, yet effective solution. Use my heavy duty storage racks. Later I might add cabinets, but for now, just t...
For the past several weeks I have been working on Christmas ornaments, now I need to finish some Halloween projects. Do you ever wonder why I don’t know what time of year it is? I really don’t mind though, as I just seem to displace the holidays and celebrate any of them at any given time. It doesn’t bother me in the least. The magazines work are funny that way. While I projects for the holiday issue were due several weeks ago, the issue following the holiday one wi...
- My Journey As A Scroll Saw Pattern Designer - 1184 parts
- Extremely Average - 324 parts
- A journey into the workshop. - 87 parts
- Daily Update - 87 parts
- Just for Fun... - 81 parts
- "Hobbit Holes in MyWorld" --by RusticWoodArt - 77 parts
- WoodWriting Haiku Thursday's --by RusticWoodArt - 74 parts
- The Craftsman's Path - 67 parts
- As The Lathe Turns - 67 parts
- Workshop Development - 65 parts
- Sheila Landry (scrollgirl) - 1206 entries
- frank - 417 entries
- degoose - 387 entries
- dbhost - 331 entries
- Ecocandle - 325 entries
- MsDebbieP - 300 entries
- Martin Sojka - 297 entries
- Karson - 293 entries
- William - 249 entries
- Betsy - 221 entries
- Stevinmarin - 212 entries
- Gary Fixler - 204 entries
- mafe - 201 entries
- Todd A. Clippinger - 187 entries
- Chris Davis - 183 entries
- Rustic - 183 entries
- PurpLev - 162 entries
- BritBoxmaker - 159 entries
- shipwright - 159 entries
- scottb - 144 entries