LumberJocks

Woodworking blog entries tagged with 'plinth'

  • Advertise with us
View Ron Stewart's profile

Turntable Plinth (Base) Project #2: Construction Notes

01-18-2016 10:23 PM by Ron Stewart | 0 comments »

This is the second and final post describing my Turntable Plinth project. To sculpt the sides, I used a table saw and three router bits: a 1/2” cove bit, a 3/4” roundover bit, and a 1/4” round nose bit. 1. Start with 2-3/4” x 3/4” maple board. 2. Cut the board into two 1-1/8” wide sections. 3. Scoop out the inside edge of each section with the cove bit. 4. Glue the two sections back together. 5. Route the recess for the dow...

Read this entry »


View Ron Stewart's profile

Turntable Plinth (Base) Project #1: Design Concepts

01-18-2016 10:17 PM by Ron Stewart | 2 comments »

This is the first of two blog entries that expand on my Turntable Plinth project. It describes various concepts I explored. I bought the maple hardwood for the plinth before I designed the plinth. The maple boards were plain, so I knew I had to use either contrasting tones, grooves, or accents to add visual interest. It took me well over a year to finalize the design. I explored numerous designs. You can’t beat CAD (I use MicroStation) for this type of iterative design process. ...

Read this entry »


View HappyHowie's profile

Blanket Chest #17: Torsion Lid-Stay Hinges are On: This Project is Completed

01-05-2016 11:26 PM by HappyHowie | 4 comments »

ROCKLER LID-STAY TORSION HINGE INSTALLATION Although installing the hinges was a simple process, I wanted to be sure that it went on without any mistakes. I wanted the lid to be centered on the case with just the right overlay. Of course, the right amount of overlay with the hinges I was using was set in motion weeks ago. That is when I cut the lid panel to its final dimensions. It was that long ago that these steps today where easily processed. The steps I took to install the hinge...

Read this entry »


View HappyHowie's profile

Blanket Chest #15: Two Coats... that many or more planned for today.

01-03-2016 05:57 PM by HappyHowie | 3 comments »

I wiped on two coats of General Finishes Arm-R-Seal yesterday. That certainly went easier for me than the amber Shellac did when I tried to brush it on this wormy maple. These coats of sanding sealer look good. I am warming up my shop so I can wipe on two or more coats today. Then I will probably spray on either clear Shellac from a can or a Spar Polyurethane to protect this blanket chest’s finish. I took a close-shot of the chest’s dovetails, and also its plinth. I do l...

Read this entry »


View HappyHowie's profile

Blanket Chest #6: Lid and Plinth Work Today

12-20-2015 05:56 AM by HappyHowie | 2 comments »

I hand planed and sanded the lid that came out of the clamps this morning. I also sanded the base or plinth and the chest’s case. I fastened the base to the case. I firgured the best way to make sure it went on square and even was to set the base on the floor and then place and position the case on the base. Once I was satisfied with its location, I held it at that position on the base with four parallel clamps, two to each side. Then I placed the chest on my workbench where I could ...

Read this entry »


View HappyHowie's profile

Blanket Chest #4: Lid Dry Fit

12-18-2015 11:44 PM by HappyHowie | 2 comments »

Today I cut miters on the lid’s trim. Afterwards I was able fit the splines into the slots I cut in the trim parts and the lid. Then I wanted to check if every dimension was good by seeing the lid on top of the chest. Oh yes, I also fastened the ship-lapped bottom boards with #6 1 inch long Fh wood screws. I will need to take a flush trim router bit around the outer case walls. Some of the bottom boards are a bit proud of the case. This flush bit will shave those proud spots flu...

Read this entry »


View HappyHowie's profile

Blanket Chest #3: Base Cleats and Case Ship-Lap Bottom

12-15-2015 05:06 AM by HappyHowie | 1 comment »

After gluing the chest’s base, I selected poplar scraps to make cleats. The cleats will be used to fasten the chest’s case to the base and the cleats to the base. The photo below shows the strips of poplar for these cleats. I pre-drilled holes that would fasten the cleat to the base and then holes from underneath that would hold the chest to the base. I used yellow glue with screws to fasten these cleats flush to the top of the base. I also used scrap pieces of the worm...

Read this entry »



DISCLAIMER: Any posts on LJ are posted by individuals acting in their own right and do not necessarily reflect the views of LJ. LJ will not be held liable for the actions of any user.

Latest Projects | Latest Blog Entries | Latest Forum Topics

HomeRefurbers.com