I stained and sprayed lacquer, and let the finish cure for 48 hours. Next I waxed the bed with Howard’s Walnut Wax and #0000 steel wool. Then I turned my attention to mounting the drawer pulls. I use Scott Collins “no math” method for laying out the hole locations. Then I offset the holes 3/16” higher than the layout mark, because the threads on the pulls are off-center. I use a full-size jig to mount the four pulls. -----Drawer pulls installed.-----I installed a...
Time to build drawers for the bed.-----I am using a P.C. jig to machine the dovetails. Everything is pretty standard, except the bit I use, which is a larger 14 degree dovetail bit from Rockler. I like to set up two routers – one with a 1/4” straight bit, and one with the dovetail bit. -----I start by hogging out waste with the straight bit. -----The second pass is with the 14 degree dovetail bit. -----I find this two-pass method makes cleaner cuts, with less chance of the wo...
Here is the bed project, which is nearing completion.-----A couple of headboard details remain, one of which is the wedge and strap detail. I tapered the backsplash, and glued the wedges on. Next I use carpet tape to attach the backsplash to a strip of plywood. This serves as a reference edge as I cut the dado for the walnut inlay. -----I use a dado set and miter gauge to cut the shallow dado. I make sure to cut both ends of the backsplash before adjusting the fence. Normally one would ...
The platform support features ten plywood panels that transfer the load straight to the floor. One corner is knocked off, so it won’t be visible under the arched sides of the bed. -----My wife and I worked on assembly of the carcase. We started by gluing and screwing five panels to the side rail. The top of the panels are flush with the groove in the side rails.A lower strip of plywood is then set into notches in the panels. -----Then another strip fills the top notch in the panels...
Building a drawer pedestal in 35 seconds. Just having some fun. I just wish I could really knock them out that fast. Time Lapse For more building pictures see my Current Projects link at wwbeds.com or poggyskids.com. See what we are doing live:
The platform bed will have large, what I call wings, on the sides and foot. I glued a section of walnut on the side wings up near the head. These will serve as as sort of side tables. the wings are 5/4 in thickness and have recessed trays in them. I chose an ogee edge for them and routed the outer edges of the ‘wings’ .Using a tray or bowl cutting bit the depression was routed using both a bearing template of mdf and a simple sled to clean out the inside of it. I love routi...
Once again, this blog series is a queen size platform bed made of hard maple. The platform or actually the bed is done. Yet to make is the bed head. I decided to finish the bed, sand and poly it then flip it onto it’s side so that I can gain some moving around room in the shop. A bed that is 60”x80” takes up a lot of room. I’ve been cramped. I decided to put the bed on roller stands. It made it much better to work on and is sturdy. As you can see the end of the b...
Design change on the fly. I decided that with our EXTREMELY limited storage space I couldn’t waste the space under one side of the bed so I made a long rectangular cubby that will have a door to store… maybe the vacuum cleaner? Not sure yet. I also decided on one larger drawer instead of two smaller ones. If I had made two they would have been a bit small. One drawer is a bit large but it will be better that way I think. The long box like cubby that the door will be added to...
Bedroom and bathroom done. I’ll start the living room/kitchen remodel in the spring. What to do in the meantime? Make a bed of course.In my mind… which is where these things always are, the bed will be maple with two large drawers on one side. The head ends will have 3 small cubbies on each side as it is impractical for us to have bedside tables because one side is up against the wall and the other side edges a window. We basically need someplace to put our glasses and watches at ...
i tke the idea from this video I start with google sketchup Then render with shaderlight The color will be black or chocolateThis render is more quality I dont have plans yet but i can share the model if you wish.
- My Journey As A Scroll Saw Pattern Designer - 1385 parts
- Extremely Average - 324 parts
- Workshop Development - 107 parts
- A journey into the workshop. - 89 parts
- Daily Update - 87 parts
- Just for Fun... - 84 parts
- "Hobbit Holes in MyWorld" --by RusticWoodArt - 77 parts
- As The Lathe Turns - 76 parts
- WoodWriting Haiku Thursday's --by RusticWoodArt - 74 parts
- The Craftsman's Path - 67 parts
- Sheila Landry (scrollgirl) - 1408 entries
- frank - 417 entries
- degoose - 394 entries
- dbhost - 389 entries
- Ecocandle - 325 entries
- MsDebbieP - 314 entries
- Karson - 305 entries
- Martin Sojka - 296 entries
- William - 258 entries
- mafe - 229 entries
- Betsy - 221 entries
- Stevinmarin - 212 entries
- Gary Fixler - 204 entries
- Todd A. Clippinger - 193 entries
- Rustic - 185 entries
- Chris Davis - 183 entries
- shipwright - 180 entries
- BritBoxmaker - 166 entries
- stefang - 164 entries
- PurpLev - 163 entries