Hi, So here is post #2 of my bed construction series. After a tough week (was knocked down by the influenza for a few days), I managed to finish all of the building work on this bed. I must admit that I am very pleased with the results. The only thing left is to:-Fine sand some of the rougher areas-Apply the finish As a matter of fact, I am no expert in finishing techniques, so I am asking LJ: What finish would you use to preserve the natural feel and color of the wood, while using...
Just found this nifty site, joined and wanted to say hello and to thank all of the welcomes… I am a neophyte woodworker, only been playing at it for about 30 years. Nothing major just piddling in the shop. Current shop consists of Delta 14” bandsaw, Rigid table saw, Rigid jointer, Delta planer, Rockler router table, Delta drill press, Delta dust system, Dewalt miter saw, and a Dewalt scroll saw along with assorted power and hand tools. Currently working on bandsawn boxes for...
Been busy with my day job lately but was able to spend a few hours downstairs. I am finally starting to deal with my wood hoard and getting pieces together for small gifts for a couple family members. Mostly weekend style projects that probably will include an ornament or two and a couple of boxes. I am a notorious hoarder of wood and I have wood scraps, pieces of furniture, and even a few rough pieces of wood that I saved from a maple tree I cut down a couple years ago. At the time of cut...
Hi, So here is my attempt to creating a queen sized bed for my Girlfriend and I. Greatly inspired by beautiful beds I saw around LJ, I generated my adaptation of the design using CATIA v5 3D modeler. around march/april 2009Bought several tools to start up a workshop from april to juneGot the materials in June.Paused from june to september to learn how to use my tools on other projects (workbench / few things for the apartment) and to settle in my new appartmentStarted actively working on t...
(This is actually part 5 but I messed up the way I added them so they got reversed….) I ventured back into the shop today to continue prepping my box stock. I planed it down to roughly 1/2” and used my tablesaw to size all the pieces the same. I then went to my router table and mitered the ends of the end pieces lying flat on the table. So far so good. But when I went to route the front and back, I had signifigant breakage & tearout. Even slowing down the bit d...
(This is actually part 4, but I messed up setting its Series until after I had part 5 written, which got added as part 4…) So far so good. I picked up a new piece of curly maple (with plenty to spare!) and after cutting it down to roughly the size I’d need for the project and after removing the knots which spoiled the ends of the board (but which saved me 10% at Woodcraft!) I proceeded to joint an edge and cut it down to rough size for the box. Now I need to decide how to d...
I got some shots of the gruesome outcome inside the machine. The replacement bearing has been ordered through Sears Parts Direct and should be here in a week or two. Meanwhile, the carnage… Here are some closeups of the broken bearing from the side where it opened up: Note the broken cage and missing balls. No idea where they went: The shaft was pitted beneath the bearing. At first I thought it was damage, and it may be, but I’m leaning a bit toward it being a...
I was tempted for a long time to create a tool cabinet like I’ve seen in many books and magazines (Shopnotes’ ‘Heirloom Toolbox’ comes to mind), but wasn’t prepares for such a daunting task immediately since I am a new woodworker. I then decided that I really like my Snap-On knockoff tool cabinet, so I have considered an alternate design to hold a very specific set of tools. So specific in fact, that I plan on french-fitting every tool in every drawer aside fro...
In my last post, I mentioned my planer seizing up entirely. I couldn’t move the belts, and I couldn’t spin the knife wheel. I also talked about how insanely built the Craftsman 13” is, and I still stand behind that. I think taking apart my Toyota pickup’s engine might be less involved. I finally found the secret under the black slide-in plastic caps that the top rods sit in. There were access ports that let me undo some hex screws and finally lift off the top shrouds (...
I have been doing some thinking about Grain Matching corners. We all see boxes that the wood has been wraped around to match 3 corners, but the 4th is allways off. I think I have come up with a way to match all 4 sides. I will be making a box when I can get back in the shop.(hurt my shoulder and LOML won’t let me play until next week) Will take step by step pics and post in this series for everyone. Keep an eye open for updates. If anyone else has a process for this, feel free ...
- My Journey As A Scroll Saw Pattern Designer - 1466 parts
- Extremely Average - 324 parts
- Workshop Development - 107 parts
- Just for Fun... - 93 parts
- A journey into the workshop. - 89 parts
- Daily Update - 87 parts
- "Hobbit Holes in MyWorld" --by RusticWoodArt - 77 parts
- As The Lathe Turns - 76 parts
- WoodWriting Haiku Thursday's --by RusticWoodArt - 74 parts
- The Craftsman's Path - 67 parts
- Sheila Landry (scrollgirl) - 1490 entries
- frank - 417 entries
- degoose - 394 entries
- dbhost - 390 entries
- Ecocandle - 325 entries
- MsDebbieP - 314 entries
- Karson - 305 entries
- Martin Sojka - 296 entries
- William - 258 entries
- mafe - 236 entries
- Betsy - 221 entries
- Stevinmarin - 212 entries
- Gary Fixler - 204 entries
- shipwright - 198 entries
- Todd A. Clippinger - 197 entries
- Rustic - 186 entries
- stefang - 185 entries
- Chris Davis - 183 entries
- BritBoxmaker - 177 entries
- PurpLev - 163 entries