Here are some of the latest slabs that have come off the mill. I have been trying to get as much juniper as possible lately because it seems to be fairly popular around here. The color and grain make it perfect for rustic cabins or southwest furniture. It is also a lot easier to mill then mesquite. I also attached a slab of the mesquite burl that I came across. If anybody is ever around tucson,az or payson,az give me a call I have slabs in both areas. 520-444-1225
So now I have a fairly large quantity of red oak. Most of it is probably FAS equivalent. No knots, nice straight grain, and some is quarter-sawn with excellent ray flecking. I’ll probably separate that out and set it aside for hobbyists – furniture. But the bulk of the wood seems like a good candidate for some flooring. If I were to sell it as flooring, I could unload large quantities, like 100-400 bf at a time. It wouldn’t take too many of those to recover the cost of...
While I am waiting for the finish to cure on my tray project, I started my next adventure. I am building a sofa table to match, approximately, the end tables that I made last year (http://lumberjocks.com/projects/22185). I started by sketching out a design on paper with some basic measurements. Usually I get a little more detailed and do a scale drawing (I use MS powerpoint). Since I plan to match the end tables, I need a little less design detail and paper will do. Begin wit...
The last installment of this series was originally titled Milling the stiles and rails and described prepping the blanks for the panels. Sigh. Sorry about that. I’ve fixed that entry title. This door would be for the passage between my foyer and formal living room, so I thought the best side should face the foyer. I inspected each blank for the stiles and rails and picked out the best side as the “foyer” side, marking each part with chalk to indicated what part it was...
Today marked the day I actually started my last project before Christmas gifts… (I’m still in the planning phase) When you walk in the door to our house, there’s a 37”W x 20”D cubby hole on the left: I started by creating a 2×4 frame that will serve as the bench, that I’ll probably attach to the wall tomorrow and then attach the front-most 2×4 to that. I’ll then double up more 2×4s to make a leg to support the front of the bench....
I’ve been trying to get rid of the snipe from my Grizzly 12 1/2” planer. When David visited last year, we adjusted on the inlets and outlets and everything else. Then later there was some discussion on LJ’s about adding sticks on the sides of the boards to be planed. I had an abundance of 1/4” thick pine stickers for stacking my lumber. I tried these on several boards but continued to get snipe. Well to day I figured out my problem I think. I cut new stickers from p...
Here I begin work on a Maple coffee table with a twist.
Hello. This is another update on my bench build. I have had almost two months off working on it because my friend has been in my shop working on his bench. But just over a week ago we took his almost done bench to his house for him to do the final fitting of parts and such. After doing a little organizing and sharpening I got back to work on my bench. So right now I have the legs and parts for the top all milled to thickness and width. This is the slab for the roubo half of my bench. Its 2...
TopOnce I had the top glued up, I realized I really should have used some biscuits to align everything. I had some serious steps between the boards and some very visible glue lines. I made a quick cross cut sled (in about 5 minutes) and was able to trim the ends of the top. I double checked with both a combo square and my framers square and both were dead on 90s. I really needed to sand the tabletop down. The vigorous scraping had left the top surface feeling very uneven. My brothe...
TopThe spalted maple I had was about 5/4 rough. I would have loved to shave off a nice 3/8” or so to get them down to 3/4”, but my band saw was no where near up for the task. Off to the planer we go (after being ripped to width and jointed). LegsSince the boards I had were about 5/4, I couldn’t make the legs the desired 1.5” thick without gluing some together. Since the spalting and grain patterns were so varied, gluing two pieces together looked pretty gross....
- My Journey As A Creative Designer - Woodworking and Beyond - 1832 parts
- Extremely Average - 324 parts
- Toy costruction - 131 parts
- A journey into the workshop. - 115 parts
- Workshop Development - 107 parts
- Just for Fun... - 98 parts
- Woodworking on a Half-Shoestring - 91 parts
- Shop stuff - 90 parts
- Daily Update - 87 parts
- Life as an Amateur Woodworker - 82 parts
- Sheila Landry (scrollgirl) - 1857 entries
- dbhost - 455 entries
- frank - 417 entries
- degoose - 398 entries
- Ecocandle - 325 entries
- mafe - 325 entries
- MsDebbieP - 314 entries
- Karson - 305 entries
- Martin Sojka - 296 entries
- Dave Rutan - 277 entries
- robscastle - 267 entries
- shipwright - 259 entries
- William - 258 entries
- A Slice of Wood Workshop - 241 entries
- bandit571 - 237 entries
- Betsy - 228 entries
- stefang - 221 entries
- Stevinmarin - 212 entries
- Todd A. Clippinger - 207 entries
- Gary Fixler - 204 entries