Today was a light day for me as I’m running out of things I can do until I get more wood, so today I cut out the side profile of the chop. I had this piece of thin ply laying around so I ripped it down to size and put my alignment marks on it, then drew the shoulder using a french curve template. Using the centerline I was able to do both sides. I clamped it on edge and sanded the template profile smooth then traced both sides on the chop. I cut a bunch ...
Yesterday I picked up a 1 – 1/4” forester bit and a 3/8” x 10” long brad point bit at Woodcraft. The forstner bit is for drilling the hole through the chop and leg for the leg vise. The bit is too short to make it all of the way through the leg so I also need to get a forstner bit extension. The 3/8” bit is for the pins that hang the Criss-Cross on the chop and leg. The chop is 9” wide so this was barely able to make it through. I didn’t want to hassl...
Small workbench based on shipbuilt's Short Block V8 (Workbench Challange) #3: Leg stretchers, assembly bolts and bottom shelf.
This part was very straight forward, The stretchers were assembled from 3 strips of 3/4” BB glued together with Biscuits to help keep everything aligned. The center strip is 1/2” longer to make a tendon. Next I made a router template to make the mortises in the legs. At that point it was just a matter of laying them out and cutting them. While I had the legs out I needed to make clearance slots for the 2 dog holes on each side of the left side leg. ...
I needed an upgrade in my shop for my Lutherie tools and I didn’t want to get those pricy steel tool box to go in my woodworking environment. So I sat down at my drawing table and tried to come up with something to accommodate my need, at a reasonable price, and made of wood. I made this tool chest with only 4 boards of 8’x6”x1” of black Walnut. I always love the Idea of not using screws and/or nails, therefore I made a Dovetail construction. The entire construction was completed in 4 mont...
Yesterday the last thing I did was cut up that big walnut board and laminate two pieces for the leg vise. Took it out of the clamps this morning and I think I’ll wait for this Sunday before going forward with it. After I was done yesterday, I was in the house and heard this big crash. I never did find out what it was until this morning I saw the walnut glue up had fallen off my table saw and bent one of my hand screw clamps. Oops. In the meantime, I worked on the d...
Yesterday I took the end cap and cut out two mortises first using a spade bit and then chiseling it square. I had to trim the tenons down a bit to fit in, and when I was squaring the small mortise, part of the end grain wall broke away leaving me with a big gap. I really didn’t want to make another end cap and do all of this work again, so I think I’m going to go with it for now. If I decide later I can’t live with it, I can just take it off and make another o...
Semi-interactive video. You can chose between my entry for the Challenge Tree and the one my twin-brother made. The Challenge Tree is an initiative of Dominic Bender at “Dominic Woodworks!”: http://www.dominicswoodworks.com/en/ After a few minutes you can click on “channel 1” for Gerrit’s “Woodworker’s meditation altar” or on “channel 2” for his twin-brother’s “Mallet for, and made on a pole lathe”.
Well, the tops have taken longer than I anticipated. But it has turned out nice. The original Short Block V8 designed with a Torsten box top but I wanted a solid top. After lots of consideration I decided that I wanted the top to be Baltic Birch laminated on edge for the top. This would be consistent with the leg construction and would make for a very solid top. However this presented an issue as Baltic Birch is not cheap (best price here in Oregon, USA is $55.00 for a 5×5’ sheet...
(Quite a few pics with this blog) I guess I am a cheap and a glutton for punishment. Off cuts of poplar, red grandis, and a tiny bit of maple from a local cabinet shop. Plus some white and red oak scraps i had on hand. After jointing, planing, ripping and squaring the ends. Then laid out so the butted seams are offset. Starting the glue up of 1 of 3 7” laminations. Lamination 2 of 3 Gluing up after jointing and planing the 3 laminations. Cu...
I forgot to update last week. I didn’t get much done because I was busy fixing a mistake. In episode 6 I showed a picture of the end tenon and the lead screw channel cut out. The weird thing is that the huge mortise cut into the end of the tenon. The mortise was too wide and I didn’t notice until last week I was thinking about it when I was in bed. That’s when I do my best thinking. I got up in the morning and checked the drawing and I was right. The drawing says the mortise...
- My Journey As A Scroll Saw Pattern Designer - 1598 parts
- Extremely Average - 324 parts
- Workshop Development - 107 parts
- Just for Fun... - 96 parts
- A journey into the workshop. - 89 parts
- Daily Update - 87 parts
- "Hobbit Holes in MyWorld" --by RusticWoodArt - 77 parts
- As The Lathe Turns - 76 parts
- WoodWriting Haiku Thursday's --by RusticWoodArt - 74 parts
- ScrollSaw Information and Resources - 68 parts
- Sheila Landry (scrollgirl) - 1623 entries
- frank - 417 entries
- degoose - 397 entries
- dbhost - 390 entries
- Ecocandle - 325 entries
- MsDebbieP - 314 entries
- Karson - 305 entries
- Martin Sojka - 296 entries
- mafe - 279 entries
- William - 258 entries
- Betsy - 221 entries
- shipwright - 219 entries
- Stevinmarin - 212 entries
- Gary Fixler - 204 entries
- Todd A. Clippinger - 199 entries
- stefang - 198 entries
- Rustic - 188 entries
- BritBoxmaker - 187 entries
- Chris Davis - 183 entries
- Smitty_Cabinetshop - 176 entries