Last summer a friend of mine gave me a small red oak drop leaf table that he had stored in his shed. For him it was a “when I get around to it” project. Well, he never got around to it. When he gave it to me it was in pretty rough shape. The top was starting to separate due to the effects of the environment it was in. The table was partially disassembled so when I got it home I finished the process by removing all the hardware and parts that hold the top to the legs. The le...
My current project requires me to have an arch on the base of the cabinet, but Santa didn’t bring me a bandsaw again this year. I could have made a template and made the arch on the router or used my jig saw, which I’ve done in the past. However, I really want to start using more hand tools. I have 3 awesome Veritas planes, but they wouldn’t really do anything for me. I found a cool little compass plane on the Japan Woodworker site, it’s called a Sori Ganna. I ha...
Well it has been a long time since I added an entry to my blog so I thought that I would continue updating my progress on the two shaker end tables I am building. Now that I have a biscuit joiner and a dovetail jig I was able to make the drawers and have been doin pretty good. I have changed the design so I can cover up the end grain as best I could and decided to put on a walnut bread-board edge.The drawer sides and back have to put the pins in the front still and mill the grove for the bott...
This past week was very busy for me and I only managed an hour a night at best in the shop. I spent most of this early evening cutting a few sheets 3/4” plywood and putting it down as flooring in my attic over the new insulation I put down last weekend. I spent most of my shop time after climbing out of the attic cleaning up and sharpening a few plane blades (just got my first waterstones in from UPS today). I didn’t want to close up for the night without getting at least somet...
I wanted to take a little time to let everyone know where I am with my pair of hand planes I am restoring. I posted a while back about the Christmas gift I recieved from my Father In-Law (My Most Prized Christmas Gift). To make a long story short I was given two hand planes that belonged and where used by my brides Great Grandfather. I still get goose bumps about opening the box and seeing them for the first time. This is what I seen when I first opened the box…. One is a 10...
Recently I received the entire gang box and hand tools that belonged to my uncle whom I barely remember. He was a carpenter and worked during the great depression as a CCC camp carpenter working and teaching young men the carpentry skills needed to perform their work. He repaired shoes and worked in the field judging from the tools he had. I am making a wall display with most of the tools and plan to use them occasionally. I particularly want to learn to tune, sharpen and use th...
Originally, my legs were going to be 3-3/4” x 4-3/4”. After I got my top glued up, I decided that I wanted a little more beef in the legs. I had enough lumber left over that was already acclimated to my shop. I spent a little time yesterday dressing up the legs and put in a bit of time tonight getting the new pieces planed true and ready to add to the leg laminations. Because of my limited number of clamps, I was only able to get 3 of them glued up so far. Taking a break to wat...
Clamping a cutting board row by row. Two blocks align it along with a vertical clamp. A deadblow mallet levels it. Stephanie came up with this method. I put packing tape on the alignment blocks and on the board they are sitting on to keep them from sticking. Clamping the rows together. After the disaster, back home, having discovered what can be saved. You can see some of the planer gouges. I have been working on an end grain cutting board. I hope to join the ranks soon of the cu...
After getting the 3rd 8” section glued up to complete the bench top, I went to bed, letting it sit in the clamps all night. The next morning, my son and I moved the top onto my old bench so that I could start flattening it. That’s when I realized that the glue-surface face of the last section, while flat, was angled. I was in such a rush (ie: excitement) to get it clamped up that I didn’t realize the problem when I glued it up. Part of the problem was that I didn’t fla...
I picked up a Lie-Nielsen ½ inch shoulder rabbet plane kit on the Bay that they used to sell in the 1980s. A fellow woodworker had passed away and his widow was selling it. It was missing the blade and a brass rod used to support the infill. I purchased a IBC replacement blade and bought a brass rod at the local hardware store. I made some rosewood dust to mix in the epoxy to create a slurry for gluing the infill in. Here are the infills glued in. Tomorrow I will start the shaping.
- My Journey As A Scroll Saw Pattern Designer - 1448 parts
- Extremely Average - 324 parts
- Workshop Development - 107 parts
- Just for Fun... - 93 parts
- A journey into the workshop. - 89 parts
- Daily Update - 87 parts
- "Hobbit Holes in MyWorld" --by RusticWoodArt - 77 parts
- As The Lathe Turns - 76 parts
- WoodWriting Haiku Thursday's --by RusticWoodArt - 74 parts
- The Craftsman's Path - 67 parts
- Sheila Landry (scrollgirl) - 1472 entries
- frank - 417 entries
- degoose - 394 entries
- dbhost - 390 entries
- Ecocandle - 325 entries
- MsDebbieP - 314 entries
- Karson - 305 entries
- Martin Sojka - 296 entries
- William - 258 entries
- mafe - 234 entries
- Betsy - 221 entries
- Stevinmarin - 212 entries
- Gary Fixler - 204 entries
- Todd A. Clippinger - 197 entries
- shipwright - 194 entries
- Rustic - 186 entries
- Chris Davis - 183 entries
- stefang - 183 entries
- BritBoxmaker - 169 entries
- PurpLev - 163 entries