So I went to my local salvage/resale store today looking for anything cool they might have up in the tool section. After rummaging through all the junk I found a complete postwar Stanley #4 bench plane for $3.00, some halfway decent rasps for $0.25 each, and few other odds and ends. As I was leaving I decided to dig through all the hand saws they had jammed in an old slop sink. After going through about 30 of them I came across an early Disston. I looked at it for a little while and the handl...
I realised my last couple of posts were actually woodwork projects rather than workshop projects so I’ve started a new series. Anyway onto the actual post. In the run up to Christmas 2015 I realised I didn’t have much for my dad (a print out of a voucher wasn’t very interesting!). My dad has always had an interest in woodwork, so I decided to have a go at a quick project. I decided to try a dovetail box because I hadn’t done dovetails before and wanted an excu...
Hello all, I had a couple of peeps interested in seeing the process shots of the Cocobolo and Leopardwood table with drawer that I posted, so I thought I’ll blog it here split into a few parts so nobody has to scroll through it all in one go… You can see the finished project here. I don’t have a shot of the small Cocobolo board I was given that inspired this table before I started cutting it up but it was a couple of board feet. There was a lovely rich heartwood section d...
So the wife wanted a date, and since we are at a somewhat remote location, that involved a 180 mile drive to drop the kids off at her parent’s house (we don’t have a good sitter lined up any closer). I wasn’t too excited about the prospect of putting 400 miles in on a Saturday after being sick with the flu all week, but we were promised a minimum of three kid free hours, which was the most time we’ve had since our youngest was born almost a year ago. We decided to g...
After I completed my recent project – mini plane – I realized that the iron of this little plane was too small to sharpen it comfortably. I sharpen my edges free-hand, and this iron is just too small to hold it while sharpening. So I came up with this simple solution: some kind of iron holder made from mild construction steel. Now it’s pretty easy to do the job: When it was done I remembered how Paul Sellers made his simple jig for sharpening spokeshaves ir...
So as the series continues to play catch up with where I am at the minute, I next took on the challenge of a workbench. This was to be the centre of my hand tool workshop, in the same way the table saw is often the centre of a machine workshop. Again attempting this on a budget I decided to use construction 2×4s and a few left over 2×6s from my recent attic project (I had put in a floor, but first lifted 6 inches to clear the extra insulation). This project was a really great ...
My workbench is now a little over a year old, although it is a great bench, I am not 100% happy with it, as the timbers have dried out, they have shrunk, and gaps have opened up between the planks on the top. Also when I made the bench, I left the front plank higher than the others, so it would act like a built in bench dog This worked, but it was not a brilliant idea, because it meant leaning over to work on the rest of the bench, when I needed flat space, or if I was gluing up...
Now that I have all of my lumber to start my projects, I need to get my garage in order and put together the shop in the best possible layout. But the first order of business is getting my vintage craftsman jointer in working condition. Oh as a heads up I very rarely and I do mean rarely buy anything tools new. Just a waste of money that can be spent on wood and more tools, but I digress. I have a Craftsman/King Sealey 101.03582 6” jointer with a fixed infeed table and adjustable outfee...
Lids were sanded down, and adjusted a bit. One of these days, I’ll learn how to make perfectly fitting lids…. Hinges had an issue as well, couple screws decided to come out the other side…hate when that happens. Ground the tips of the screws down, will replace when the shorter ones arrive. End of the box looked a bit too plain…dug up some thin Walnut scrap and sawed some 1” wide strips… Once I figured out how to cut the angles…nails and gl...
About 1pm today, decided to go and hide out in the shop…...at least until I got too sore to move.. Needed to clear some space. needed a couple toys..er…TOOLS from the Tool Chest #2….and be able to get to the mitresaw.. Found these hiding in the Tool Chest…a Wards #79, Stanley #39, and a square of some sort. I even swept the floor in there! As I needed to get back to thay saw bench. Needed to cut some bread board ends at a bevel…on each end IF I try...
- My Journey As A Creative Designer - Woodworking and Beyond - 1727 parts
- Extremely Average - 324 parts
- Workshop Development - 107 parts
- A journey into the workshop. - 98 parts
- Just for Fun... - 97 parts
- Daily Update - 87 parts
- "Hobbit Holes in MyWorld" --by RusticWoodArt - 77 parts
- Life as an Amateur Woodworker - 77 parts
- As The Lathe Turns - 76 parts
- WoodWriting Haiku Thursday's --by RusticWoodArt - 74 parts
- Sheila Landry (scrollgirl) - 1752 entries
- frank - 417 entries
- dbhost - 410 entries
- degoose - 397 entries
- Ecocandle - 325 entries
- MsDebbieP - 314 entries
- Karson - 305 entries
- mafe - 301 entries
- Martin Sojka - 296 entries
- William - 258 entries
- shipwright - 237 entries
- Betsy - 228 entries
- stefang - 213 entries
- Stevinmarin - 212 entries
- robscastle - 207 entries
- Todd A. Clippinger - 207 entries
- Dave Rutan - 205 entries
- Gary Fixler - 204 entries
- Smitty_Cabinetshop - 193 entries
- Rustic - 190 entries