Where to start? At the beginning I suppose. Well, not the very beginning as that would entail going all the way back to a rather dreary wet Tuesday afternoon (and it was, I’ve checked) in an equally dreary and dank tenement building in Glasgow in 1968. For you dear reader I think perhaps that that may be a little too far and not very interesting and it would also be definitely far off the mark, as far as the subject of this tome to come is concerned, as could be. So, I guess I will begin s...
I put in an eleven hour day yesterday on this thing, the work was really kind of fun compared to the tedious work of digging out mortises of the day before. I’ve never tried the draw bore method of locking a mortise and tenon together. I didn’t even use clamps. Well this morning I just had to get the tops to fit on the tenons, so after trimming back a couple of mortise surfaces they both fit down snugly, a very sweet fit. As a bonus, the sides of the tops ended up flush wit...
I was out in the shop/garage at 8am today and didn’t finish until 7pm. I don’t recall taking a lunch break, or any break for that matter, the day just flew by. But I did get a while lot done. Yesterday was all fitting the mortises and tenons. That took all of yesterday and I left it dry fitted together. This morning I had five things to do before I could drill holes for the draw bore joints. I ran the legs across the table saw to chamfer the bottom edges, check the leg v...
Well, got the top almost flat on the “face side” the other day Used a scrub jack plane to get things down to almost flat, other than all them scalloped areas. Got out a little bit bigger, and wider jack plane. This time, it is used like a try plane, going at the diagonals to the grain, until all them scallops are gone. Top still wanted to bow up a bit, so I clamped that end down flat, and left it sit a while…. Well this evening, flipped the top over to work on t...
Whew, my workweek is finally over and now I can have some fun. I’ve been thinking all week about today, particularly what I still need to get to push this project along. I needed a jig to cut the mortises, and I was looking at pattern bits and I came away with an education. Top bearing straight cut pattern bits are expensive. I didn’t want to spend that much so I went to woodcraft last week when I bought my last pieces of wood for the leg and rail, and picked up a guide bushing fr...
and maybe another table to build?Piled up the “supplies” on the bench. Found a couple other boards as well A couple short 2×4s (legs?) and some assorted 1xs. Those long things in back? Are a couple 3/4” x 6” x 120-1/2” planks of pine. Took the cleaned up 2×4 x36” out of the vise, cleared the benchtop of the rest. Placed the Gray 2×4 x 48” in the vise to joint both edges. Will do the rest of it after it is cut down to le...
Hi everyone! I’ve been somewhat out of radio contact due to pressing work for my degree and working on a business startup…. Between then (when was the last post?) and now, the entire piece was constructed in Solidworks, had the bugs refined out (mostly avoiding work overcomplication and basic logistics), ripped apart and reconstructed. Very little has changed from the original dimensions and layout. The recipient of the largest changes were the doors in terms of the muntin/mull...
This was a fun week and a half project… When my wife’s uncle past away 3 years ago, the family had to empty his house and my father in law stumble across a few burls and this stand. He brought them back and gave them to me for me to do something with. I waited quite a while before I got to it, but I think the wait was worth it. I started this project last week and I made a small video of the process.. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hx24ggsNDSQ I started by cleaning the saw marks with a...
Had a surprise today, more funds available in the budget than I thought so I went to the lumber yard and got the wood that I needed. Got it all milled up and the front rail is now in the clamps. Due to my clamp shortage, I’ll have to glue up the last leg after I get home from work tomorrow night. But that’s good because it’ll set me up perfect for next weekend’s activities. I picked up a 2 – 5/8” forstner bit for the plastic bearing ring, a 4” fors...
Today was a light day for me as I’m running out of things I can do until I get more wood, so today I cut out the side profile of the chop. I had this piece of thin ply laying around so I ripped it down to size and put my alignment marks on it, then drew the shoulder using a french curve template. Using the centerline I was able to do both sides. I clamped it on edge and sanded the template profile smooth then traced both sides on the chop. I cut a bunch ...
- My Journey As A Scroll Saw Pattern Designer - 1558 parts
- Extremely Average - 324 parts
- Workshop Development - 107 parts
- Just for Fun... - 96 parts
- A journey into the workshop. - 89 parts
- Daily Update - 87 parts
- "Hobbit Holes in MyWorld" --by RusticWoodArt - 77 parts
- As The Lathe Turns - 76 parts
- WoodWriting Haiku Thursday's --by RusticWoodArt - 74 parts
- ScrollSaw Information and Resources - 68 parts
- Sheila Landry (scrollgirl) - 1583 entries
- frank - 417 entries
- degoose - 395 entries
- dbhost - 390 entries
- Ecocandle - 325 entries
- MsDebbieP - 314 entries
- Karson - 305 entries
- Martin Sojka - 296 entries
- mafe - 275 entries
- William - 258 entries
- Betsy - 221 entries
- Stevinmarin - 212 entries
- shipwright - 212 entries
- Gary Fixler - 204 entries
- Todd A. Clippinger - 199 entries
- stefang - 188 entries
- Rustic - 188 entries
- Chris Davis - 183 entries
- BritBoxmaker - 181 entries
- Smitty_Cabinetshop - 175 entries