So I did what was reccomended, the big differences in width I just used my handplanes to plane it down. I remember someone on the handplane forum saying that handplanes are a slippery slope… Well i feel like it it’s more of a botomless abyss, the fall from not using one to shopping for new ones has been a swift one… :) Anyhow, planed about 1/4 off of the chesss board top. The planing was fine, took me like 2-3 hours with sharpening and testing – this was my first...
I might have crossed a line today. I had picked up a Kunz #80 scraper for $7.50 and a Sargent 409 for $12 at an auction a couple of weeks ago. There was a real nice Stanley #5 but it sold for $65 and I do have one of those. I tried out the scraper yesterday after learning which was the front. Turns out I’m a puller, not a pusher. All it would do is make a tiny pile of sawdust from the left end of the blade. Figured today would be a good time to learn setting up the #80, so...
Let’s see, I had a couple scraps of Black Walnut sitting around the shop. Also had what was left from a Black Cherry floor joist ( From an old barn tear down) Both were being abused by every new-to-me handplane that came into the shop. Decided to try and make SOMETHING out of them, before they wound up as just a pile of shavings. Edges were planed square and ready for glue-ups. Didn’t have a way to make slimmer pieces, so I just used the scraps as is. Got a slab out o...
It’s been a while and I’ve been plugging and plodding away on this. When I left off, I had finished off the dry fit of the saw till/dog house and had the vision of a tilt out feature like a potato bin. No pics on the glue up. Not any different than the dry fit/rehearsal anyways. After the glue dried I spent some time with my 60 1/2 low angle block plane and MF #9 smoother finishing and fitting the till to the saw bench. While trying to determine the pivot location...
Left work a little early today to go by Vienna Hardwoods (that’s Virginia, not Austria) to pick up some African Mahogany for the Adirondack chair. I’d considered some other wood sources in the area (particularly Exotic Hardwoods over in Maryland) but Vienna Hardwoods had the best prices that I found and on an earlier scouting trip I’d seen plenty of acceptable boards. If nothing else, Vienna Hardwoods is an adventure—a small warehouse space jammed with a jumble of ...
Yesterday I completed the combination pallete and wet canvase holder. It is constucted out of birch plywood with oak inserts for holding the wet canvases. The pallete is finished with two coats of BLO. It is shown out of the box with an inserted canvase and inside the box with the pallete in view. I trimmed the drawers with walnut and put two coats of Danish oil on the box. I’ll let the oil dry for three or four days and then finish with satin wipe on polyurethane. ...
I looked it up and 111 days ago I said that “in a few days I’ll be done with the Shelton” ... Not surprised that my few days turned into 111. Well it’s finally done with the exception of another coat or 2 of finish on the tote. This is the only plane I have of this style (other than my super smoother from Shampeon – but this one made of all metal and only has a chip breaker with and a cross pin rather than a lever cap), and so any tips / suggestions are appre...
After getting tired of cleaning sawdust out of the nooks and crannies of my planes, I decided to build a little cabinet for them. It’s just a basic scrap plywood box with plywood drawers. I got a couple pairs of 100# full-extension drawer slides off Amazon for the drawers. I’m not the greatest at building carcasses (i.e., making them square), so I had to do some trial and error getting the fit right. For the drawer backs I just screwed on a couple pieces of scrap O...
Late last night I ended with some small boards getting glued into larger boards. Well this morning while the little guy was sleeping I was able to get those out of the clamps and start getting them to final dimensions. I purposefully made the glue ups larger than needed to I can trim them to size and make up for any irregularities encountered during the glueup. First order was to simply clean them up 4 square.. Then I ripped the sides to get to final width (did a little of...
This is something I have been planning on building for a few months now. I have been putting it to the side until today when I realized I could really use it right now for my layout swap item. While I was building my workbench I was searching the net for vises just to get some ideas and inspiration for the ones on the bench and I came across the Benchcrafted Carvers Vise. It looked pretty nifty but like many of their products I simply cannot justify the price when it can be made fr...
- My Journey As A Scroll Saw Pattern Designer - 1197 parts
- Extremely Average - 324 parts
- A journey into the workshop. - 87 parts
- Daily Update - 87 parts
- Just for Fun... - 81 parts
- "Hobbit Holes in MyWorld" --by RusticWoodArt - 77 parts
- WoodWriting Haiku Thursday's --by RusticWoodArt - 74 parts
- The Craftsman's Path - 67 parts
- As The Lathe Turns - 67 parts
- Workshop Development - 66 parts
- Sheila Landry (scrollgirl) - 1219 entries
- frank - 417 entries
- degoose - 388 entries
- dbhost - 332 entries
- Ecocandle - 325 entries
- MsDebbieP - 301 entries
- Martin Sojka - 297 entries
- Karson - 294 entries
- William - 249 entries
- Betsy - 221 entries
- Stevinmarin - 212 entries
- mafe - 208 entries
- Gary Fixler - 204 entries
- Todd A. Clippinger - 187 entries
- Chris Davis - 183 entries
- Rustic - 183 entries
- PurpLev - 162 entries
- shipwright - 160 entries
- BritBoxmaker - 159 entries
- stefang - 145 entries